Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-27-2015, 08:50 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

+1 for the Op Tech rear caps--the dual ones are really handy for small lenses. Cheap ebay ones have been a mixed bag for me; I figured in the long run I'm better off spending a bit extra for something decent--or else I'll need to start buying crappy lenses to match the caps.

01-28-2015, 01:18 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Does anyone know of those lens/body cap combos for pentax that work like the Canon ones and lock together? Those would be really useful
Like these? Amazon.com : OP/TECH USA Lens Mount Cap - Pentax Double : Camera Lens Caps : Camera & Photo
01-28-2015, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

These lens/body caps are great, cheap, and they lock together. Just bought a couple of sets and I'm really happy with them. Lens caps have proven to be a bit of a disposable commodity for me.

DealExtreme PK lens/body cap set
01-28-2015, 03:27 PM   #19
Imp
Pentaxian

Yup, thanks!

01-28-2015, 05:23 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I only buy the manufacturer's original lens cap at B&H or on eBay if I can find it.
01-29-2015, 04:18 AM   #21
Veteran Member

The rear cap with the Oreo Cookie design on it is from Fotodiox. They are my favorite non-Pentax caps.
01-29-2015, 04:35 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
From Amazon in Germany they want a shameless 8,90€ for each .

Ok, maybe Ebay could help ....

01-29-2015, 06:57 AM   #23
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
The rear cap with the Oreo Cookie design on it is from Fotodiox. They are my favorite non-Pentax caps.

thank you - glad I am not the only one thinking that the design looked like an Oreo.....
02-01-2015, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Oreo was my first though too, but improved with an 'open' arrow showing you how to access the white filling. It's maybe worth ordering several backups for when you absent-mindedly take bites out of them.
02-04-2015, 06:33 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I ordered a package of 10 rear lens caps from this company on January 27th. I was somewhat skeptical, mostly because it was from an off-shore company. (China) They arrived today, 8 days after I placed the order! They are SUPERB! Twist-on caps with a flange that lock in place nice and firm, exactly as I wanted them to do. Marked "Pentax," and for all I know, they are indeed OEM. They look like it.

10 x Rear Lens Cap Cover for Pentax PK 55 300mm 18 55mm | eBay

A grand total of $9.72, including shipping! I'm going to order 10 more. What a pleasure to circular file those, old, loose-fitting POS caps I've been dealing with for far too long!
02-04-2015, 06:44 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I ordered some as well, but I got mine through Amazon they arrived yesterday. Tested all 15 I ordered and every one works perfectly.

Took great pleasure in dumping some old caps in the trash.

They even have a nice arrow and the word "open" on them for us old guys that forget how
02-07-2015, 07:48 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I got my K-x some years ago, the DAL 18-55 kit lens that came with it came with a soft plastic rear cap that simply pushed on/pulled off. It actually does work, but seemed awfully cheap. I found a very good use for it, though. I have a few M42 lenses but only one M42>K adapter. I put the soft plastic rear cap on my lens with the adapter, and I can squeeze it just enough to easily unscrew the adapter when I want it for another lens. (Can't do that with the rigid plastic end caps.)
02-07-2015, 08:19 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I ordered a package of 10 rear lens caps from this company on January 27th. I was somewhat skeptical, mostly because it was from an off-shore company. (China) They arrived today, 8 days after I placed the order! They are SUPERB! Twist-on caps with a flange that lock in place nice and firm, exactly as I wanted them to do. Marked "Pentax," and for all I know, they are indeed OEM. They look like it.

10 x Rear Lens Cap Cover for Pentax PK 55 300mm 18 55mm | eBay
I bought those from the same seller in 2012. There are very minor differences between those and the OEM Pentax caps - the textured areas are different, the mold release marks aren't the same and the lettering is quite as "sharp". Most likely casts and molds were made from the originals. The counterfeit caps are much more snug - I can't remove them easily single handed (which is what you wanted).

They do the job and are practically indistinguishable from the "real" thing. A great value for the money.
02-07-2015, 08:31 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I only use Pentax branded rear caps on all my lenses - Pentax, Sigma, Tamron. Easy to swap from one lens to another without thought. Always a snug, tight fit on the lens bayonet, unlike Tamron and Sigma rear caps. The original Sigma and Tamron caps go in the len box in case I decide to sell the lens sometime. IMO Pentax rear caps are worth the extra money.
02-12-2015, 06:12 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mgvh Quote
When I got my K-x some years ago, the DAL 18-55 kit lens that came with it came with a soft plastic rear cap that simply pushed on/pulled off. It actually does work, but seemed awfully cheap. I found a very good use for it, though. I have a few M42 lenses but only one M42>K adapter. I put the soft plastic rear cap on my lens with the adapter, and I can squeeze it just enough to easily unscrew the adapter when I want it for another lens. (Can't do that with the rigid plastic end caps.)
Another use for those - if you're doing extreme macro using reversed lenses, you can cut the end off and turn it into a "hood" for the exposed base of the reversed lens.

---------- Post added 02-12-2015 at 08:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Op Tech rear caps are a bit expensive @ $16 from B&H, however they have a rubber seal that presses against the mount to keep out dust, and it also holds the cap on gently but securely. They aren't as convenient as genuine Pentax rear covers because the latter can be put on without aligning the cap with the red-dot on the lens, whereas the Op Tech there's a ridge (mark it with a little white paint) that must be lined up with the lens' red-dot.
These seem like a really good idea to me, at least for WR lenses. My thinking is that if you're packing light for some kind of wilderness adventure, and you have a WR lens in a soft lens pouch, having a rear cap that seals might save it if you end up getting
dunked or drenched. Without this, your WR lens is only WR while it's on your camera, or in a waterproof bag.

I'll probably pick up a couple of them eventually.