Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2008, 05:14 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How much do you spend on accessories?

After going on a little spree I was wondering how much people here have spent on accessories in general. I do know that tripods can take a huge bite, and then there are SD cards, flashes, cases, focus screens, eyepieces, release cables, macro couplers, cleaning tools, filters, screen protectors, radio transmitters... the list really does go on. And that's just the stuff I've bought!

In the last 24 hours I sprung for another 12GB of class 6 storage for €49 delivered... a particularly good deal I thought. And bought a split-screen focus screen and magnifying eyepiece to help my manual focusing.

Can anyone tell I'm preparing for a trip?

So I thought I'd add up how much I've spent on accessories since starting with digital SLR this year. The amount scared me!

Here's how the breakdown works out:
62% lenses
20% body
18% accessories

Considering the body was a kit and included an extended warranty I'd say the accessories amount to a lot. Of course the body category will catch up when I spring for a K20D.

Any other stories in sympathy?

05-29-2008, 05:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hard to say how much I have spent, but yes it is a considerable amount (especially if you add all the shipping costs). I would have to say that all the accessories I have bought add up probably to about 100% of the price of my isDL (at the time I bought it). And we are only talking about tripod, used flash, few memory cards, wireless trigger and some filters.
05-29-2008, 05:37 AM   #3
Not Registered

I have 2 bodies so that skews my percentage toward the camera part a little bit. In general terms I would say I have expend

Lenses 55-60%
Bodies 25-30%
Accesories 10-20%

But a few months from now I can see the accesories part increasing big time when I got a new tripod and head, lights, stands....
05-29-2008, 11:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have no idea ... but I do know that I need to spend more on accessories.
I need filters ... a magnifying eyepiece sounds good ... a katzeye would be nice as well ... a spare battery and some more cards would be good too.

I just bought a Giottos Rocket blower the other day. It's never ending.
Another bag wouldn't go astray either.

05-29-2008, 11:07 AM   #5
Ed in GA

I just did an inventory list to turn in to my insurance agent for my camera policy.

My breakdown was something along this line.

Camera Body 20%

Lens 65%

Accessories 15%

I told my Insurance agent this..... "If you ever tell my wife how much I've really spent on these cameras, I'll have to put out a contract on you."

Her response was "Cameras? What Cameras?" "Just call me Schultz."
05-29-2008, 01:38 PM   #6

I don´t know exactly, but i´m sure that´s to much and the the problem is, that it will never find an end, there are to much nice things
05-29-2008, 01:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
According to the wife: "Too damn much!"

Next question....

05-29-2008, 02:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
According to the wife: "Too damn much!"

Next question....
Ditto... and that is coming from me. But hey, someone has to buy it
05-29-2008, 02:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Too lazy to do the math...
Current items only...
Lenses = ~$4000
Body = $1000
Accessories = ~$2000
05-29-2008, 02:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
…way too much. But most things I bought over the years are at least usefull sometimes… I have no idea about the percentage, but it could well be around 20 % or even a bit more. The camera bags alone are worth a fortune, not to mention tripods and flash guns... Luckily my partner doesn't know - and I can always confront her with her shoe buying addiction…

Ben