Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-28-2015, 11:33 PM   #1
Forum Member

Good bags for quick access

For 1 x small/medium DSLR, and one or max two extra lenses and some filters etc. Tripod straps are a bonus. I have a bad back, originally I was thinking a sling bag but not sure now as I don't want to upset it.

Any suggestions?

Will buy from B&H

01-28-2015, 11:37 PM   #2

i have a good one just that size i can send picture of thursday. I'll be selling a few camera bags.
01-28-2015, 11:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love love love my domke shooters bag, quick easy access, I have a bad back as well and mine is pretty easy on my back. Domke also makes the F-6 which is a little smaller than the shooters bag
01-29-2015, 12:44 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a Domke F-5xb that I love and works just great. It will fit what you ask, except it doesn't have tripod straps. I have a thin and light travel tripod I use with it and I can actually lay it atop the zipper and secure it under the flap.

01-29-2015, 01:45 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The clik Elite reporter is nice, quick acces and comfy to carry. clik elite reporter | B&H Photo Video=
or the trekker, but that one doesn't carry a tripod clik elite trekker | B&H Photo Video=
01-29-2015, 02:18 AM   #6

Not to hijack the thread but can someone recommend a bag like this but for a K-3 with battery grip and a few lenses plus a place for a tripod?
01-29-2015, 02:53 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BlakeShellman Quote
Not to hijack the thread but can someone recommend a bag like this but for a K-3 with battery grip and a few lenses plus a place for a tripod?
the clik elite reporter

01-29-2015, 03:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I use a Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Bag. I got mine from the Crumpler store in Newtown (Sydney).

Mine's an early one without tripod straps.

(I have backpacks, too.)
01-29-2015, 04:01 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I plan to get ThinkTank retrospective 5.
01-29-2015, 05:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The Think Tank Retrospective 5 is good - it fits a K-5 II with a prime on the camera and two stacked primes (21 & 70) + a flash (AF 360 FGZ) on the other side. The Retrospective 7 is better if you want to carry an iPad with you as well when travelling. If money is not an object Billingham Hadley's are far superior - they cost more but they're lifetime bags with replaceable components. The Hadley small is good but looks like a "man purse" the Hadley Pro is dynamite but it's $259 USD...
01-29-2015, 05:58 AM   #11
Pentaxian

For quick access, a messenger-style is best. Slings are good too, but not as quick.

I think not many messenger bags have straps for a tripod. I know the Timbuk2 snoop messengers do (except the smallest size) and I can vouch for them. They are also well-priced compared to some others.
01-29-2015, 07:15 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like this bag - I have an older version that I like a little better but the essentials are similar. Center area holds body plus medium sized lens. Sides hold a couple of smaller primes back to back each or one medium sized lens or a flash each. I've carried a very small tripod (table top variety) in one of the side pouches. I can put my 50-135 in a side pouch with the hood but it's very tight - without the hood it fits easily. The 60-250 also fits even with the foot but my foot is the DA* 300 foot which is smaller. Again the hood makes it a much tighter fit and you couldn't carry both as it encroaches into the space in the center a bit.

As for access - my center section has zippers as do the side pouches, I can leave the center unzippered and quickly grab the camera but it's not secured if I do that. I have an old Galen Rowell Photoflex bag that I use for speedy access but it only holds a camera and lens together. The case logic bag is nice because there is also room for a few minor accessories including spare batteries and cards. It is the bag I use when I don't need everything - when I need everything I'm carrying a Domke or the large Galen Rowell Photoflex bag. Frankly I am thinking I'm more of a backpack guy than a shoulder strap guy. I want to put the camera in hand or around my neck and only access the bag when changing items typically.

The problem with adding a tripod to the mix is bulk and weight distribution. With any bag that's quick access I think you end up with the bag on your shoulder or around your waist, and I'm not sure there is any way to add a tripod to that without making it harder on your back and or too encumbering to use. Maybe someone else will have ideas.

Another version of the bag has a small single camera with lens travel pouch that packs inside it and lets you put the camera in that when you forage out for photos - not sure when that would work but the video on amazon shows the main bag reasonably well and it seems like the same bag other than the small quick access camera pouch that he pulls out of it.

Something like this may help the back... slower to access the equipment but should help the back a lot with the waist belt and strap connection to distribute the weight.

---------- Post added 01-29-15 at 09:44 AM ----------

I really started looking since you asked and your needs resonate with me.

This bag is a good compromise that does everything except the tripod.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 01-29-2015 at 07:32 AM.
01-29-2015, 01:51 PM   #13
Veteran Member

This bag: Billingham Hadley Pro Shoulder Bag BI 505248 B&H Photo Video has the quietest, most efficient quick access you could possibly want and has a 5-star customer rating on the B&H site...
01-29-2015, 07:15 PM   #14

If I am not hauling my Sigma 150-500, then I use my Lowepro Passport Sling. It easily holds my K30 with the 18-135 with the lens hood on, plus the 55-300, plus the 35mm 2.4, plus batteries and a water bottle and sunscreen and phone and a 7" tablet and anything else I might need in a day. It can ride behind you to relieve the strain on your lower back (I can relate-scoliosis) or you can swing it around to the front if you are in a sketchy neighborhood (and use it as a armrest). I use it around town, biking, hiking, whitewater boating (inside an empty Pelican case), and it has literally been around the world with me. It is my all-time favorite case. But sorry, no tripod straps.
01-30-2015, 07:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BlakeShellman Quote
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/281303...ml#post3129238