Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Monopod, tripod, or both?
I have a monopod only 12.08%
I have a tripod only 918.75%
I have both a monopod and a tripod 3879.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2008, 06:38 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
To do what I want to do, I've pretty much have decided that I'm going to need both monopod and tripod. The question now is which model(s) do I get and how much I want to spend.
Great. So no hybrids. I figured that versipod was likely to crash...

I think you've chosen the right course.

I have to say I LOVE my Manfrotto 055XPROB. It might be a tad big/heavy for travel, but it is loaded with features. Big thumbs up for this tripod. If I needed one for travel, I'd look into the Manfrotto 190XPROB. I think it is the same feature set in a more compact package. I think there is a lot there for you judging from some of things I've seen you post here...

Please do read reviews here: Amazon.com: Bogen Manfrotto 190XPROB 3 Section Aluminum Pro Tripod: Camera & Photo

On the monopod, I am working on a new one, as mine is a bit older and out of stock everywhere, so no specific recommendations there.

Best wishes, and please do give a us a report when you work this all out.

woof!

05-29-2008, 06:54 PM   #17
Veteran Member

What's wrong with using a travel tripod and just dropping one leg? I keep a little 785SHB Manfrotto under my little slingpack. It's tiny folded up - the only problem I run into is the height (sometimes) and the way the head locks, but other than that it is very versitile - I love it.

-Brian
05-29-2008, 07:24 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by the_int21h Quote
What's wrong with using a travel tripod and just dropping one leg? I keep a little 785SHB Manfrotto under my little slingpack. It's tiny folded up - the only problem I run into is the height (sometimes) and the way the head locks, but other than that it is very versitile - I love it.

-Brian
That's an idea, too. If you've got a ballhead on it, I wouldn't think that the head would be an issue since you can set it at any angle you want. Has anybody else tried the one-legged tripod idea?

Actually, I got a brainstorm and started looking around for used B/M tripods on Fleabay and other places. By doing a Google search, I'm able to come up with enough info on the older ones to decide whether or not they'd work for me. I've got a couple of potentially good deals on Fleabay I'm watching:
Bogen Model 3020 Tripod w/ 3025 Head - eBay (item 150253240098 end time Jun-01-08 16:38:41 PDT)
Bogen Manfrott 3011 Professional Tripod - EX cond. - eBay (item 290234732629 end time Jun-05-08 16:40:25 PDT)

One advantage of being short (5'1") is that I don't have to be quite as concerned about whether or not a tripod will be tall enough for me.

Heather
05-29-2008, 07:40 PM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hi Heather,

Just a few thoughts for you.....

I am short as well, 5'3 and this is what I decided to do. I shopped around for a tripod that went pretty tall but that I could get in a four section leg. This way it is smaller for travel and on level ground I only need to extend 3 of the leg sections but I have the 4 section available if I need it on hilly terrain.This has worked really well so far.

I researched this subject for months and the advice was always not to go cheap. I ended up with

Velbon Sherpa Pro 740 $500(recommended by Thomas(Duplo)
Markins M20 ballhead $400

It took me months to save up for this but I know I will never have to be looking to replace this tripod and head.

I have since added a Bogen Neotec monopod with swivel/tilt head.

05-29-2008, 07:46 PM   #20
Inactive Account

I had the 3011 that you're watching, sold it a few months ago to get the 55pro. The 3011 was a little short for me, I'm 6'3", and the twist locks on the legs got old. The 55pro has quick levers, much easier, faster and you know if they're locked. With the 3011 sometime I thought everything was set, then the whole thing just starts to slump. BUT, it you don't use it every shot, it's a nice sturdy tripod.
Ryan
05-30-2008, 06:43 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Soon I will be in the possession of the Manfrotto 680 Monopod which is lighter than the 682 and smaller when closed than both the 682 and the 679. That's important for traveling. On top will be the Manfrotto 322RC2 Heavy Duty Grip Ball Head which has a spirit level and quick release plate. This will provide a lot of flexibility in positioning, and will come in even handier for use on a tripod in the future. Total weight is 1.5kg.

I will need to find some sort of easy carry bag for these that I can pick up in the next week. Any suggestions?
05-30-2008, 07:17 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually, I'm leaning towards the Manfrotto 680 myself with a 486 ballhead that would work on either it or the Slik 700DX tripod that I'm also leaning towards. The 322RC2 ball head looks intriguing, but I'm not sure if it's worth the price difference between it and the 486, to me at least.

Heather

05-30-2008, 08:06 AM   #23

I don't have any long telephotos and don't need any. I bought a monopod to help with shots in museums and old churches where tripods weren't allowed. When I got a camera with IS, I could shoot in museums and churches without the monopod so I got rid of it.

I have a Manfrotto 724B with a ballhead which fits easily into a suitcase.
05-30-2008, 08:09 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I have and use both a tripod and monopod. I see the need for both, it just depends on what I am shooting that day. I really need a new tripod though, it's a real piece of junk.

Last edited by Fritz; 05-30-2008 at 11:23 AM.
05-30-2008, 10:45 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I too have a junk tripod I bought so I'd have something for use in the house. Would never bother taking it out. For the price it does what I want, and it is always useful as a flash stand, should I ever start caring much about flash.
05-30-2008, 11:33 AM   #26
Not Registered

Heather, when you buy a ball-head look for one that is rated for at least 3 times the weight of your heavier lens. If you have an extending zoom (like the bigma) that it is heavy in the front part use a ball-head that it is even sturdier. The more solid the head, the less movement you have when you tight the knobs. Dont buy a tripod that it is taller (taller tripods tend to be less stable) than you and dont consider the extended height when looking for them. As somebody has pointed out, you loose quite a bit of stability with the center column fully extended. Hope it helps

Javi
05-30-2008, 06:17 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've made up my mind...partly...

I decided on the Bogen/Manfrotto 486RC2 ballhead and I got a pretty decent deal on it by buying it off of Gruoso:
tripods, heads, monopods, light stands, camera supports, lighting supports, professional tripod 486RC2 - COMPACT BALL HEAD W/RC2 R.C.SY

For the monopod, I went with the Bogen/Manfrotto 680 compact. I did some searching for the best deal and Cord Camera has the silver one for $56.99, shipped, so I ordered from them.
Bogen-Manfrotto 680 Compact 4-Section Monopod: 33494380 Cord Camera

I haven't decided on the tripod for sure yet, but that's OK since I don't have enough money to get one at this point after buying the ballhead and monopod. I was leaning towards the Slik 770DX, but then I took another look at the Bogen/Manfrotto 190XProB and decided that it would also be a good choice because of the center column that swings from vertical to horizontal, making it really practical for macro/closeup work.

Anyway, that's it for now. Thanks for all the help!
Heather
05-31-2008, 04:33 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For the monopod, I went with the Bogen/Manfrotto 680 compact
Heather, looks like we picked the same monopod.

I haven't decided on the tripod for sure yet, but that's OK since I don't have enough money to get one at this point after buying the ballhead and monopod. I was leaning towards the Slik 770DX, but then I took another look at the Bogen/Manfrotto 190XProB and decided that it would also be a good choice because of the center column that swings from vertical to horizontal, making it really practical for macro/closeup work.
And the same decision on that too! If I think I need a tripod I'll try the 190XPro.
06-03-2008, 09:30 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It looks like I may be getting a tripod sooner than I thought I would. The other day, I was looking through the local Craigslist listings and I found that someone had a Bogen 3001 (predecessor to the B/M 190) for sale with head for $40. I inquired about it and found out that the the head had been sold, but that the legs were still available for $30. Since I've already got a head coming, the lack of a head doesn't bother me at all. I'm hoping to get together with the seller sometime later on this week and will hopefully snatch this deal up.

I've noticed that on Fleabay, the 3001 legs usually go for at least twice as much, so this is a sweet deal that I can't pass up--and I don't have to pay for shipping, either.

Heather
06-03-2008, 03:48 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've noticed that on Fleabay, the 3001 legs usually go for at least twice as much, so this is a sweet deal that I can't pass up--and I don't have to pay for shipping, either.
Go for it! These are the sorts of deals never happen here.