Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2015, 08:11 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Zoom bags - any danger for the lens?

I'd place a silly question - hopefully it won't sound too paranoid.

When using a zoom bag (like Lowepro Toploader Zoom 55 AW II in my case), is there any risk for the lens? When I put K-3 with DA* 60-250 inside, all the weight constrains on the front element. And the lens has no zoom lock (like Sigma 150-500 or similar).

So could it be somehow harmful for my gear?

02-01-2015, 08:44 AM   #2
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not a silly question at all! I've wondered about that as well.
02-01-2015, 09:06 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of the reasons that I have consistently rated Lowepro bags -1 point in my reviews - they seem to be oblivious to the fact that the bottoms of their bags are pretty uniformly under-padded. I add some foam to each of them to make the bottoms better padded and softer. Those bags are designed to be worn and when worn I do not believe the pressure is excessive. However, I have made it a habit to not sit bags down on the part on which the lens rests directly.
02-01-2015, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

The Sigma-supplied case that came with my 50-500 uses a similar design. I think it's safe to carry and store a len resting face down. Make sure the lens cap is on so weight gets distributed to the lens housing. Also check that the bag isn't too big so the lens can't bounce around inside.

02-01-2015, 10:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Make sure the lens cap is on so weight gets distributed to the lens housing.

Yeah, as a rule I always put on the cap before inserting camera into the camera bag. My concern was more related to the fact that in case of 60-250 the front section of the lens is zooming...

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I add some foam to each of them to make the bottoms better padded and softer. Those bags are designed to be worn and when worn I do not believe the pressure is excessive. However, I have made it a habit to not sit bags down on the part on which the lens rests directly

Foam or not, I think the weight will still sit on the lens front part. But foaming might protect the bag against a hit, of course.
02-01-2015, 11:08 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Yeah, as a rule I always put on the cap before inserting camera into the camera bag. My concern was more related to the fact that in case of 60-250 the front section of the lens is zooming...

Foam or not, I think the weight will still sit on the lens front part. But foaming might protect the bag against a hit, of course.
Theres a huge difference between sitting in an unyielding surface and one with give when it comes to energy transfer, which is one component of the causes for damage. The foam does zero to protect the bag but does aid in insulating the lens from shocks and reduces energy transfer.
02-01-2015, 11:44 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
One of the reasons that I have consistently rated Lowepro bags -1 point in my reviews - they seem to be oblivious to the fact that the bottoms of their bags are pretty uniformly under-padded. I add some foam to each of them to make the bottoms better padded and softer. Those bags are designed to be worn and when worn I do not believe the pressure is excessive. However, I have made it a habit to not sit bags down on the part on which the lens rests directly.
How true! Extra bag dividers sit in the bottoms of my bags for extra protection. I've gotten so many extra bags with used gear buys that those are plentiful. I recently got a Click Elite lens case and the bottom of it is impressively padded, hopefully their camera bags are similar, but I'm not sure I've ever saw one.

02-02-2015, 01:49 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
How true! Extra bag dividers sit in the bottoms of my bags for extra protection. I've gotten so many extra bags with used gear buys that those are plentiful. I recently got a Click Elite lens case and the bottom of it is impressively padded, hopefully their camera bags are similar, but I'm not sure I've ever saw one.

I also have a lens case from Clik, and they are very nicely apdded. Also their bags are well constructed and padded.

But I wouldn't worry too much about you lens. It can take the punishment. I have a clik elite chess carrier (a zoom bag), and have not had any problems with the lenses. And I have used it with a 100-300 pentax lens, which isn't one of the strongest lenses. And to be fair, their is not that much weight sitting on the lens anyway.
And don't forget, if lenses would be damaged, the zoom bags would have been out of production a long time ago, as nobody would buy them anymore.
02-06-2015, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
I'd place a silly question - hopefully it won't sound too paranoid.

When using a zoom bag (like Lowepro Toploader Zoom 55 AW II in my case), is there any risk for the lens? When I put K-3 with DA* 60-250 inside, all the weight constrains on the front element. And the lens has no zoom lock (like Sigma 150-500 or similar).

So could it be somehow harmful for my gear?
This thought never even occured to me. Basically the same weight will rest on the lens when transported in a bag with the camera attached - and that is, what I have been doing for the last 30+ years. I usually have the lenses "face down" and never ever have noticed any detrimental effect. The added weight of the camera is not really much and the lens is quite strong along its axis, because the tube will take the force. Just make sure, that there is nothing hard protruding directly onto the front element.

Ben