Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2008, 03:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
1st Attempt @ DIY Spider Light...

This is my first attempt at a DIY Spider Light. The middle light is different because I ran across a web page that showed a better design than what I originally came up with and required a 5th light. So I went to the store to buy another light and they were sold out so I found a different daylight balanced CFL. Anyways, the whole thing cost about $35 to make. The switches on the back can give me either 2 lights, 3 lights, or all 5 lights. I'm not nuts about the aluminum foil which I'm going to change. Anyways, I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thanks,
Brian

05-29-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Not familiar wihaspider light, whatis it supposed todo?
05-29-2008, 03:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Unlike Buddha, I don't really care what it's for, I just want some sample images so we can all see what this baby can do!
05-29-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's a continuous lighting rig that eventually I'll have a softbox for (hopefully by the end of next week). It's nice because it never gets hot, it's daylight balanced and equivalent to 500watts (or more if you want to buy the more expensive bulbs - I only paid $7 for a two pack at wally world). Here's a link to one at adorama: 1514 Alzo 600-EX Fluorescent Studio Cool Lite, Light Head with 4 Bulbs The web page that changed my plans is here: Alex Campagna He has some examples on his page.

05-29-2008, 04:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Brian, I do believe the lights you're rigged up do generate heat, so you need to be sure the softbox you're using does not come into direct contact and be a fire risk.
05-29-2008, 04:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes your right, they do generate heat, I guess I was getting ahead of myself - They won't heat a room up like tungsten or halogen continuious lighting, but after a half hour of continuous use - they are still cool to the touch and extremely bright!
05-31-2008, 07:23 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The specs in the ad uses 4 - 85 watt bulbs so that will generate some heat but probably not enough to set your particle board on fire. Maybe a bigger reflector, like a kids circular sled with a good polish. I have a friend with a body shop and he uses a similar homemade setup but with more lights.

05-31-2008, 07:28 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Looks like it has potential, but I will reserve judgement (and trying it myself....) until we see some samples