Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2015, 07:43 PM   #1

Adapter Advice

Although I regularly use my k-3, I recently gave in to temptation and purchased a Sony 6000 mirrorless camera (as an experiment and backup), and for Street Photography.

I would like to be able to use my Pentax lenses on the Sony and vice-versa.

Which adapters do you recommend please?
1. There are a confusing number of adapters around for fitting Pentax lenses on an E-mount/NEX Sony camera. I would like to use a pentax 24mm lens on the
Sony as I cannot afford the Zeiss lens ($1400AU), and the Samyang/Rokinon is somewhat cumbersome for street photography.

2. I was not able to find the opposite adapter ... for fitting Sony E-mount/NEX lenses on my k-3 or k-01.
Does one exist?

You may well ask ... why bother, unless you have an expensive Zeiss lens (which I don't and cannot afford)? Well, I purchased two of the Sigma E-mount Art series Primes - the 19mm and the 30mm f/2.8 for $177AU each and thought they might be OK on my Pentax kit.

Thank you

Michael

02-02-2015, 07:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No E mount adapter exits for K mount cameras. The focal flange distance is much shorter on a mirrorless camera so an optical correction element would be needed. This would make the adapter a tele-converter. Another reason is E mount lenses, like all almost all mirrorless lenses, are focus by wire. So it would need to power the lens.
02-02-2015, 08:04 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi MekiAus,

I have both a Fotodiox and a Novoflex adapter - the latter has an aperture ring for my DA lenses (I often use the DA 70 on a NEX 7), but costs a lot more.

I've got both those Sigma lenses and they're better than the pancake Sony 20mm and 16-50mm I also have.

You won't be able to put them on your Pentax, though.
02-09-2015, 07:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have two Fotodiox adapters, one for PK and one for Zeiss/Contax. The Photodiox has an open/close aperture control, nice for focus wide open. However I also have another, even cheaper, Chinese-made adapter which has no name on it at all purchased on Ebay. It is probably this one Adapter for Pentax PK K Lens to Sony E Mount NEX3 NEX5 NEX7 EX 5N NEX C3 NEX 5c | eBay. This adapter has a knurled ring which allows aperture control with multiple clicks. The clicks aren't labeled, but you can figure it out pretty well and set the aperture to the desired stop.

Both adapters work amazingly well. I mostly use the older lenses with aperture rings so the Photodiox gets the most use. At some point, I may spring for a Novoflex, but right now these seem to do the job.

Edit this is the link for the eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roxsen-Pentax-K-PK-mount-DA-AF-lens-to-Sony-NEX-E-mo...c=1&rmvSB=true

Last edited by GeneV; 02-09-2015 at 07:29 AM.
02-09-2015, 07:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I have two Fotodiox adapters, one for PK and one for Zeiss/Contax. The Photodiox has an open/close aperture control, nice for focus wide open. However I also have another, even cheaper, Chinese-made adapter which has no name on it at all purchased on Ebay. It is probably this one Adapter for Pentax PK K Lens to Sony E Mount NEX3 NEX5 NEX7 EX 5N NEX C3 NEX 5c | eBay. This adapter has a knurled ring which allows aperture control with multiple clicks. The clicks aren't labeled, but you can figure it out pretty well and set the aperture to the desired stop.

Both adapters work amazingly well. I mostly use the older lenses with aperture rings so the Photodiox gets the most use. At some point, I may spring for a Novoflex, but right now these seem to do the job.

That adapter you are linking to doesn't seems to have aperture control ring.

This is what you would want: Roxsen Pentax K PK Mount Da AF Lens to Sony NEX E Mount Adapter NEX 5 3 5R 7 3N | eBay

Any who, just realized is an old post... probably he found something by now
02-09-2015, 07:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I believe you are right, and even the brand looks familiar on this one Roxsen Pentax K PK Mount Da AF Lens to Sony NEX E Mount Adapter NEX 5 3 5R 7 3N | eBay
02-24-2015, 04:39 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Hi MekiAus,

I have both a Fotodiox and a Novoflex adapter - the latter has an aperture ring for my DA lenses (I often use the DA 70 on a NEX 7), but costs a lot more.

I've got both those Sigma lenses and they're better than the pancake Sony 20mm and 16-50mm I also have.

You won't be able to put them on your Pentax, though.
Thank you for your advice.

---------- Post added 02-25-15 at 10:44 AM ----------

Thank you all for replying.

I will try one of the low-priced adapters with my existing Pentax lenses.
If the low-priced adapter does not work then i will go for the expensive, but highly rated Novoflex adapter.

Michael

Last edited by mekiAus; 02-24-2015 at 04:51 PM.