Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Filter on hood or lens?

I originally appended this question in another thread and never received any input. Trying here.

One of my lens' have a metal hood which is capable of using a filter (threads). For ease of installation / removal, I would like to be able to put a polarizing filter on the end of the hood rather than in between the lens and the hood.

What if any negative effect would this have?

Thanks!

05-29-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by user440 Quote
I originally appended this question in another thread and never received any input. Trying here.

One of my lens' have a metal hood which is capable of using a filter (threads). For ease of installation / removal, I would like to be able to put a polarizing filter on the end of the hood rather than in between the lens and the hood.

What if any negative effect would this have?

Thanks!

IMO, it should not have any negative effect at all since the space between the lens and the Polarizer will not have light in it. The only effect it will have is the you will lose around 1 stop of light.

Others may have differing opinions.

Ed
05-29-2008, 08:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I used to use a polarizer on the end of a cylindrical N***n (ahem!) hood; it worked without problems. The light loss (as Ed mentioned) was about 1 to 1 1/2 stops, due entirely to the polarizer. It would be the same if it were mounted between the lens and the hood.
05-30-2008, 12:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Only problem I can think of is the possibility of vignetting - would depend on whether your lens hood was a straight one or a "v" shaped one. I'd think it would be much more likely if the hood were straight.

05-30-2008, 12:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The other risk from mounting a filter at the bright end of a hood rather than the dark: the filter surface will pick up more glare and so possibly reduce contrast (or even introduce ghost images, esp. at night, reflected onto the flat filter glass).
05-30-2008, 09:12 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The further away the filter is, the more it will become part of the subject, though at this small distance it should be negligible - if it is clean...