Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2015, 04:13 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
which back pack to choose

I have a dilemma. Following the purchase of a Sigma 170-500mm lens my Lowepro Slingshot 202 AW is no longer big enough. I have narrowed my search for a new gadget bag down to two options.
1. The Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW
2. The Crumpler Light Delight Full Photo Backpack
Both fulfill my needs and budget. I like the Lowepro because I know from experience that everything will be in a safe place.
The Crumpler is slightly smaller, yet still satisfies my needs. It doesn't feel as meaty as the Lowepro, but, with an upcoming trip to New York in march, it looks more like a regular backpack instead of a repository for some very expensive goodies.
I would appreciate any thoughts either way please.

02-04-2015, 06:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Are there any back packs which are top loading?
02-04-2015, 07:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have a Lowepro backpack that is side-loading, which I love. Drop one strap off and easily remove your camera. Plus holds quite a bit for it's size, camera gear and other stuff in the top compartment. Can't remember the model off hand.
02-04-2015, 08:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I have no experience with those two particular bags but I have owned several Lowepro bags and a Crumpler Customary Barge. I find the harness system and straps on the Crumpler bag to be considerable more comfortable and better of better quality generally compared to my Lowepro bags.

For what it is worth I have a Lowepro Flipside 300 which fits a Sigma 150-500 with body attached and with a little room left for other lens.

02-05-2015, 01:11 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I just went to the nearby crumpler store and I liked a couple of their bags - one is designed such that it will hold a very large camera kit - looks like FF with 70-200 and all other accessories and lenses and is only accessible from the back (i.e. you can't easily be robbed or have the camera fall out.)
KARACHI OUTPOST (L) - Camera Travel Backpack | Crumpler

The other is 50% laptop bag / 50% day bag, but can be configured acceptably for camera use - probably more a general use bag and better suited for an APS set up like mine. Fits an iPad against your back.
ASO OUTPOST - Commuter Laptop Backpack | Crumpler
02-05-2015, 08:49 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Fantastic. Thankyou, one and all, I will consider your opinions and make a decision accordingly.
8-)
03-13-2015, 03:38 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for all your feedback.
Tomorrow, my Crumpler Light Delight Full Photo Backpack heads off to New York stuffed safely with all that I think I'll need.
In the end it was its discreetness that finaly got me.