Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2015, 12:00 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K3 support for Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA2

Sanho has created a beta firmware release (v37) that supports K3 PEF and DNG files.

I have tried it on my device and it works fine. All previously loaded K10, K20, and K5 PEF and DNG images can be viewed along with multicolor histogram and metadata. Zooming and rotation are also available. All newly loaded K3 files also behave the same. All other functions operate the same as before.

The only downside is that all previously (v35 and earlier) loaded K3 images display slightly fuzzy images, limited metadata without zooming and rotation. Sanho is looking at that now.

Here is the location of the firmware:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d6iegbcfw3tg3c2/PD500_20150105_37.SFP?n=46369756

You can use the built-in firmware loading routine. Here are the instructions:
1) save the firmware into an SD card
2) insert the card into UDMA2 and power it up
3) go to Setting > Firmware > update > select "G" drive and press right arrow cursor key (DO NOT PRESS THE CENTER KEY BUTTON)
4) select the firmware file name "PD500_20150105_37" and hit center key button to update

I am pleased that third party devices are supporting the most recent Pentax cameras.

02-07-2015, 02:03 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Nice! Let's hope they support the 645Z and the upcoming "to be named" high-end camera. Naturally, if it took more than a year for the K-3, then it might be a while before all this comes to pass. Still, thanks to Sanho for their support! The UDMA Colorspace is still the fastest transferring, portable backup solution out there (most laptops only transfer from SD cards at 9 megs/sec., unlike the 30megs/sec. of the UDMA).
02-07-2015, 03:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
They don't have every camera. A 645z user needs to contact Hyperdrive support and supply them several raw image samples.

---------- Post added 02-07-15 at 02:57 PM ----------

I am very happy with the UDMA2. It is good for backup when traveling. It is quick when copying files. I also use it to review my images. Much smaller than a small laptop. The only downside is the short battery life.
02-08-2015, 04:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
I am very happy with the UDMA2. It is good for backup when traveling. It is quick when copying files. I also use it to review my images. Much smaller than a small laptop. The only downside is the short battery life.
I always thought they had a decent battery life? Maybe its the screen use and reviewing that kills it...

I have the newer iUSBPortHD device from Sanho, which only supports SD cards internally at 9mb/s, (CF cards via an external reader), but it does have a tremendous battery life (along with USB3 output and two USB powered host ports, wi-fi and a bunch of other non-photo related dross). On two recent jobs, it was easy enough to put the 32GB cards in there to copy while I kept shooting, then even charge my phone from the battery!

02-08-2015, 06:38 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I always thought they had a decent battery life? Maybe its the screen use and reviewing that kills it...
I spend much more time reviewing than copying. It is easier than using the camera.
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I have the newer iUSBPortHD device from Sanho, which only supports SD cards internally at 9mb/s, (CF cards via an external reader), but it does have a tremendous battery life (along with USB3 output and two USB powered host ports, wi-fi and a bunch of other non-photo related dross). On two recent jobs, it was easy enough to put the 32GB cards in there to copy while I kept shooting, then even charge my phone from the battery!
That is impressive. Is the wireless system internal or external? The UDMA2 has an external match box size WIFI device that attaches to the side.

The iUSBport has 50% more battery, multiple device streaming, and internal WIFI compared to the UDMA2 at the expense of the color screen and metadata display. The iUSBport appears to be a backup device for a pro shooter. The UDMA2 seems to be for a traveler to backup and review his/her images once a day. Is that what you see?
02-09-2015, 06:13 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
The iUSBport appears to be a backup device for a pro shooter. The UDMA2 seems to be for a traveler to backup and review his/her images once a day. Is that what you see?
From a photographer-centric view, yes, that's about it. The lack of a color screen (or any way to decode raw files) makes the iUSBPortHD a "dumb" data storage device for camera files. It does error correction when copying, and will only copy the new files from a previously backed up card, so it isn't that dumb, really...

I think the way Sanho sees it, the screen on a smartphone (or tablet) is better for browsing and reviewing images from this drive... except you need to have a compatible device with you (and some software on it to decode raw files, if you don't shoot Raw+JPEG). Long trips to places without cell coverage (backcountry camping, safaris) makes an iOS or Android device just more electronics to pack along. Being away from civilization also means the bigger battery in the iUSBport does double-duty to keep your "screen" charged as well, so it might end up being equal to the UDMA2 for reviewing files, in that respect.

That said, the iUSBPortHD is also marketed as a way to bring entire libraries of movies or other heavy data along to share with multiple devices. I put the iUSB HD in the center console of my car for long roadtrips, and my kids can stream their favorite movies to an iPad in the back seat. If we had more than one iPad (or I let my kids use my phone, which I don't) then theoretically they could each watch their own movie, as the Sanho device can stream to 5 devices at once.
02-14-2015, 06:41 PM   #7

Using the iUSBHD for simple back up of SDXC cards

Okay, I actually do want to use the iUSBHD in much the way you're describing using the UDMA2 for travel back-up. Except that I don't actually care about previewing photos much. I just want to back up all images and videos from my cards and can sort them when I get home. So, I can insert an SDHC or SDXC card in the iUSBHD and download onto the devices hard drive for back-up, correct? (It seems like this device is mostly being marketed as a way to move images/files from one drive or card to another, but mostly I just want to back them up onto the iUSBHD itself.) As a bonus, I will also have an ipad with me, so I can also wirelessly view images and movies if I want. I'm trying to figure out what the downside of the iUSBHD is for me? It's also actually cheaper than the UDMA2.

02-14-2015, 08:15 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by seattler Quote
Okay, I actually do want to use the iUSBHD in much the way you're describing using the UDMA2 for travel back-up. Except that I don't actually care about previewing photos much. I just want to back up all images and videos from my cards and can sort them when I get home. So, I can insert an SDHC or SDXC card in the iUSBHD and download onto the devices hard drive for back-up, correct?
Yes, this is how it works. The drive inside has to be formatted in FAT32 format (like all camera cards), and then when you put an SD card into the slot on the side, the little screen has a message asking "Copy Card?" Press the single button on the unit, and it starts to copy files over (raws, jpegs, videos, everything). It even does incremental backups, so if you put the same card in later on, it will only copy any new files!

I'm trying to figure out what the downside of the iUSBHD is for me? It's also actually cheaper than the UDMA2.
The downside is that the iUSBPortHD only copies files from the SD card at 9megs/second, while the UDMA averages 30megs/second. This can make a big difference when you're backing up a full 32GB card! The other downside that doesn't really matter to Pentax shooters is that, unlike the UDMA, there is no CF card slot. You can, however, attach a USB card reader and copy files that way (at the slower speed).
02-15-2015, 10:11 AM   #9

That is helpful panoguy. Then I'm wondering about other portable backup devices that can read SD cards, such at the WD 1 Tb My Passport Wireless. The WD specs list download speeds from SD cards of 25mb/s. I am not sure that it downloads incrementally though, which is a big deal for me in that I plan to download each evening, and I'm not the kind of shooter typically fill up a 64mb card each day. Battery life also matters. For this trip, I'm starting at Angkor Wat in Cambodia, then taking the TransMongolian train from Beijing to Moscow, then ending up in Barcelona for a week. During some parts of the trip I won't have the best access to electricity, such as in Mongolia and on the train.)
WD 1TB My Passport Wireless WDBK8Z0010BBK-NESN B&H Photo Video
02-15-2015, 11:01 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Then I'm wondering about other portable backup devices that can read SD cards, such at the WD 1 Tb My Passport Wireless. The WD specs list download speeds from SD cards of 25mb/s. I am not sure that it downloads incrementally though,
The WD Wireless is another option. I wasn't aware that it had the faster SD copy speed, but that's good to know. Also, the WD 1TB unit is the same price as just the iUSBportHD enclosure without a drive! I guess WD being a drive manufacturer means they can put them in for less...

I would also guess the WD drive would do the same error correction and incremental backups that the Hyperdrives do (seems like a no-brainer), but it might be worth checking with WD tech support on that. Of course, these days, most big companies tech support only reads off what is in the marketing spec sheets anyhow... sigh.

Sounds like you have quite the trip lined up! Another thing to consider is that the battery in the iUSBPortHD and Colorspace UDMA is replaceable. You'd be cracking open the case (similar to installing the hard drive), which may not be feasible in all locations, but if you're away from a power outlet for a long time, that is one way to recharge the drive.

That said, my unit only needs to be recharged every month or so if all I'm doing is backing up SD cards (which is done with wifi off). Turning on wifi and streaming data (movies) to an iPad really depletes the power.