Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2008, 10:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tripod head stuck on my tripod...

Any suggestions for getting it off?

05-30-2008, 11:13 AM   #2
Not Registered

If your head has a pano base things can get difficult. If that is your case, I would advice you to set all the knobs that control the head as tight as you can and then try to rotate the tripod while keeping the head stable. I am sure that you have tried this already but I tell you just in case. Some oil can also help. There are one that I always forget the model (I think that it is WP40 or something ending on 40) that can help. If you give some information about what tripod and head, we might be more efficient. Hope it helps
05-30-2008, 11:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just wear a pair of thick rubber gloves and muscle your way through. Yeah my B1 head is stuck on the Gitzo too.
05-30-2008, 12:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I tighten it down as tight as I can and I can get it to turn but wont screw off, its just turning on the ball, not the screw mount.

05-30-2008, 12:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah you have to grib the base of the head with your fingers. Kind of difficult.
05-30-2008, 02:05 PM   #6

How about a strap pipe wrench?

2-Piece Adjustable Wrench Set
05-30-2008, 02:48 PM   #7

Some Bogen tripods have set screws under the mount to keep it tight.

Otherwise, if you have a vice, put the head in the vice and turn the legs. A collapsed tripod is usually around 2 feet long. According to HS physics, that will give you plenty of torque.

As they say, if all else fails, use the foot or plug it into the wall.
05-30-2008, 03:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

the rubber pipe wrench is probably the best way to get a grip without marring things and you might also want to put a few drops of penetrating oil, like Liquid Wrench, into the joint in case there's any debris or corrosion amplifying the friction.

06-01-2008, 12:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

What make and model is your tripod. I have several manfrotto tripods and they seems to all use 3 set screws to keep the head from spinning off. The under side on the head has angled faces that work in conjuction with the set screws. I had one that was a bit of a bugger. I completely removed the set screw (to ensure that it was not in the formula). I stuck the tripod on the freezer for about 15 minutes to ensure that all the components were cold. Then I poured a small dose of boiling water over the head and quickly turned the head. This hot water causes the head to expand reducing its friction and fit on the threaded stud. (same trick you use to open a diffcult jar, the metal lid will expand if heated with hot water). I would avoid oil, or penetrating fluids unless you see or know that some corrosion is present. The oily film may plague you for some time afterward (like getting on your fingers, fingers transfering residue to your lenses and equpment, etc). Rubbing alcohol first treatment, followed by a mild detergent can help rid you of oil film - but why go there in the first place if you do not have to.
06-02-2008, 10:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Buddha,
If it will fit, put in the freezer for a couple of hours. At low temporature the metal will contract and allow removal. I know it sounds weird, but I use the oven and freezer often in the assembly of precision equipment.

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
06-04-2008, 07:22 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Happened to me yesterday on a brand new K200D using a Vanguard VS-52 mini-tripod that I was using with my digital camera ... There was no way to grasp it with my fingers.
I'm not sure what kind of tripod/base you have.
1) I unscrewed the tripod from the center base.
2) I used a pair of locking pliers to remove the base from the camera
3) I threw away the stupid tripod. I need one with better ergonomics. The same problem happened even with my much lighter digicam before.
06-04-2008, 07:34 PM   #12
Veteran Member

pipe wrench or rubber strap wrench. If not, drill a hole into the base and use a rod for leverage. I always end up with the same problem using filters on the Viv 105 S1, it's so perfectly machined that the threads grab anything that touches it. last time (2 weeks ago) I ran an ice cube around the filter for 3 or 4 minutes and then used a string wrapped around and then twisted and THEN turned CC to get it off.