Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2015, 11:11 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The Clutch strap arrived, I tried it, and the search continues. The strap is light, which I liked. The top ribbon which loops through the camera eyelet, appears flimsy and does not inspire confidence. The bottom attachment widget (A) bumps and rubs against the bottom corner of the camera body, which I found annoying. The way that part is attached to the metal plate (B) has a built-in tendency for torque, which means that sooner or later the edges of the plate will no longer be parallel to the edge of the camera body. This may or may not matter to others but I was distracted by that design choice. The strap has some traction against the skin but tends to stay too close to the knuckles to feel comfortable and secure. Overall, the only two things I liked about this strap were the light weight and the ability to quickly tighten it. Unfortunately, I had to tighten it to the point of discomfort, to feel semi-secure that it would not slide off my hand. I really wanted to like this strap, but in the end, it's a no-go.

I now plan to try the rather ugly but apparently secure and comfortable, Optech Grip Strap

Last edited by akptc; 02-22-2015 at 11:16 PM.
02-23-2015, 04:34 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by akptc Quote
The Clutch strap arrived, I tried it, and the search continues. The strap is light, which I liked. The top ribbon which loops through the camera eyelet, appears flimsy and does not inspire confidence. The bottom attachment widget (A) bumps and rubs against the bottom corner of the camera body, which I found annoying. The way that part is attached to the metal plate (B) has a built-in tendency for torque, which means that sooner or later the edges of the plate will no longer be parallel to the edge of the camera body. This may or may not matter to others but I was distracted by that design choice. The strap has some traction against the skin but tends to stay too close to the knuckles to feel comfortable and secure. Overall, the only two things I liked about this strap were the light weight and the ability to quickly tighten it. Unfortunately, I had to tighten it to the point of discomfort, to feel semi-secure that it would not slide off my hand. I really wanted to like this strap, but in the end, it's a no-go.

I now plan to try the rather ugly but apparently secure and comfortable, Optech Grip Strap
I wouldn't worry about the loops. I have had my 500mm hanging off them for quite a while. Just change them out from time to time if they look old.
02-23-2015, 04:39 AM   #18
Banned

If you're willing to try the Optech strap, why not just get the Pentax version... Pentax DSLR Leather Hand Strap 85101 B&H Photo Video
02-23-2015, 10:14 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
If you're willing to try the Optech strap, why not just get the Pentax version... Pentax DSLR Leather Hand Strap 85101 B&H Photo Video
Thanks! Somehow I missed that one. Just ordered, can't wait to try it on.

02-24-2015, 04:40 AM   #20
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by akptc Quote
Thanks! Somehow I missed that one. Just ordered, can't wait to try it on.

I think you'll like it. It's comfortable, adjustable, secure, and much nicer looking than the Optech IMHO. I used one for a couple of years on my K20 before switching to the BlackRapid system (wrist and sling straps). The only downside was it was difficult to change lenses quickly.
04-05-2015, 10:44 AM   #21

Pentax 85101 DSLR Leather Hand Strap

I received genuine Pentax 85101 Dslr Leather Hand Strap ($19.95 off eBay) and have no idea how to thread its straps with K-3 body (no grip, RRS L-Bracketed, but the RRS L-Plate is to replace original 85101 bottom plate).
Any help, pls?
What would you do with the neck-strap after (or before) you fasten 85101 hand-strap?
05-22-2015, 04:09 PM   #22

In stead of buying two good beers I bought bad handstrap

First it was totally unusable as the tightening part wanted to grind through my hand. After turning the linking upside down and putting the pain giver under the camera, it works.
It feels nice, keeps camera in my hand, the baseplate gives support to my pinky BUT won't let me use my index finger properly to access ISO and exposure buttons.

I have K-3, so has anyone resolved this problem?
05-22-2015, 05:29 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Ok ...... thought I'd end the perfect hand strap search with some home craftiness ...... got out the sewing machine (real men do sew) and modified a neck strap.......it even has "Perfect" spelt out on the strap.....

Wrist Strap.jpg
by Noel Leahy, on Flickr

05-22-2015, 05:40 PM   #24
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Ok ...... thought I'd end the perfect hand strap search with some home craftiness ...... got out the sewing machine (real men do sew) and modified a neck strap.......it even has "Perfect" spelt out on the strap.....

Wrist Strap.jpg
by Noel Leahy, on Flickr

Sorry to rain on your parade, but that's a wrist strap, not a hand strap. Two completely different animals.
05-22-2015, 05:54 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
Sorry to rain on your parade, but that's a wrist strap, not a hand strap. Two completely different animals.

Man.....back to the sewing machine......
05-23-2015, 10:16 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Been using my Peak Design strap since New Years, don't miss a neck strap at all. I suppose it may not be "decadent" though. I find it comfy enough.