Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2015, 09:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The perfect hand strap

My hand and the K-3 deserve to be united by a great hand strap. I mean a hand strap that screams comfort, luxury, and decadence. I want it to woo me, to quietly whisper to my hand, “come here.. slide in, enjoy …” My hand should not have to fight and wiggle to get into the hand strap. It should effortlessly glide into its soft but firm embrace, with an “ahhh…” once inside. I don’t want my hand to get tired while holding the K-3 with the handstrap. It must be leather; the best Italian leather money can buy. I am thinking Luigi’s quality or even better. It must have soft lining.. green would do it for me. Of course, it needs to hold the camera securely no matter the hand position. And, it should allow me to open the battery door with it attached. It has to be perfect. Where do I find such a dream accessory?

02-11-2015, 09:18 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm interested also. For me it's the K-50 and no battery grip that needs this accessory.
02-11-2015, 10:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

That got me interested. Now I want one.
02-11-2015, 10:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Not perfect, but best I've found

I picked up one of these HandStraps last year for my K3,
I've had to customize it a bit and am still not entirely satisfied, but getting there,
It's big plus is that it is an aluminum base plate, I've seen others that have an Arca-Swiss compatible base plate, that works with your tripod, if you are into that system. Don't go with the plastic base plates, they don't stay put, and bend under load of camera and bigger lenses.

I had to rethread the strap, to turn the plate so it clears the battery door, it does leave a slight lip to the left side of the camera, but not bad,
The securing nut is recessed so it does not get in your way. It is easy enough to undo the screw (with a coin) and add the battery grip when I want to go that way, and the hand strap is long enough to accommodate the added depth of the grip without much adjustment.

The biggest flaw was the original small strap through the big padded grip, After I had it for a while, and it kept loosening up on me I discovered it was actually Two (!) short pieces of webbing threaded through it, with simple friction sliders on them, buried under the leather strap. I ended up replacing them with a single long strap I had from another grip. You could stitch the ends together on the provided straps to make it work too.
I'll be interested to see others solutions to this issue,
crappy photos, but illustrate better than my crappy typing

Last edited by K-Three; 03-11-2017 at 12:38 PM.
02-11-2015, 10:48 PM   #5
Yos
Veteran Member

I have this for my K-30 and I like it: https://peakdesign.com/store/clutch
02-11-2015, 11:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have a Joby ultrafit strap, and although it isn't a custom italian strap, I'm really happy with it. The base plate is Arca-swiss and very customisable, which is nice, and it is soft, secure, and doesn't block the battery hatch.
02-11-2015, 11:21 PM   #7
Forum Member

JOBY UltraFit Hand Strap with UltraPlate: Camera Strap + Baseplate

Joby makes good handstrap that's been on my K-5ii forever. Err...but it's not like what OP described though :P.
Plate that attaches the strap also works as arca-swiss type tripod mount plate, which is neat feature not common among others.

PeakDesign Clutch, which Yos mentioned, is another one i'm waiting to try as soon as I get my second body.

** Edit: Woops ZoeB beat me to it lol
02-12-2015, 01:14 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

I have used an Artisan leather strap for two years now..... oooses class.....I tend to hold my k5/3 and just have the strap for safety sake..... I'll regularly dangle my K3 and F*300 4.5 from it.....

see Artisan&Artist* Straps

When in Turkey recently ballooning I had one strap on the LHS lug on my K5II in my left hand and one strap on the RHS lug of my K3 in my right hand...... i'd just let one camera dangle as I brought the other up to my eye to shoot......

Last edited by noelpolar; 02-12-2015 at 01:19 AM.
02-12-2015, 08:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Picked up the Peak Design hand strap and quick clip connector system (Arca) around Christmas. I'm enjoying it thoroughly. I also use a Maxpedition Sitka sling backpack with a ~$6 ebay soft camera case insert to let my lenses ride in comfort. I really had no desire to get yet another bag when I already had my favourite. I use the Peak Design clip on the sling strap and have removed the camera neck strap entirely. I'm happy to show photos if requested.
02-12-2015, 08:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Everyone for your feedback. The Clutch and the Jobi straps are intriguing, I will give them a try. I've tried the Artisan&Artist straps but only liked them on my rangefinder bodies. A while back Luigi made me a custom leather neck strap for a DSLR; it's very pretty, classy, comfortable on the neck, and works well if you wrap it around the wrist, but now I really want a "grip" style hand strap with a glove-like fit. I say there is no reason why we should we put up with uncomfortable hand straps

---------- Post added 02-12-15 at 08:51 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
Picked up the Peak Design hand strap and quick clip connector system (Arca) around Christmas. I'm enjoying it thoroughly. I also use a Maxpedition Sitka sling backpack with a ~$6 ebay soft camera case insert to let my lenses ride in comfort. I really had no desire to get yet another bag when I already had my favourite. I use the Peak Design clip on the sling strap and have removed the camera neck strap entirely. I'm happy to show photos if requested.
I would love to see some photos of your set up.

---------- Post added 02-12-15 at 08:54 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
I picked up one of these HandStraps last year for my K3, I've had to customize it a bit...
I've thought about getting one of these straps, they look pretty comfy in the pictures, but machining is not something I can easily do. Wish I could custom-spec a hand strap somewhere..

Last edited by akptc; 03-05-2015 at 10:31 PM.
02-12-2015, 09:40 AM   #11
Pentaxian

If you use an Arca Swiss system this is my setup:
Leather Hand Grip Wrist Strap for Canon EOS Nikon Sony Olympus SLR DSLR Camera | eBay
+
60mm Universal Camera Plate Quick Release Plate Arca Swiss Compatible Em 01 | eBay

Just replace the plastic mount that the grip ships with for the arca plate with slots and you are good to go.
02-13-2015, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Hi akptc,

I've been using Camdapter grip straps on all of my DSLRs for about 9(?) years, and though they can be a bit fussy to mount, they've served me well. You might find something you like in their Premium Pro Strap line. I personally have two of these, one in soft kid skin and one in soft suede, but these are not offered anymore. I also have two in the standard full grain leather, and these need to be broken in a bit to be nearly as soft as the premium straps I have. It might be worthwhile to give them a call and see if they might have other options for custom ordering. I have used these to carry everything from a DS to my present K-3 and K-5IIs with up to 300/2.8 class lenses (over 6 lbs of lens alone) all day for many seasons now, and still have and use the first ones that I bought many years ago. I use their Arca compatible plates, but there are less expensive plates available on ebay that will work with these grips (sorry don't have any links)

Camdapter - The Hand Strap
Camdapter - The Hand Strap

Scott

Last edited by snostorm; 02-13-2015 at 11:29 AM.
02-13-2015, 06:07 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by akptc Quote
I would love to see some photos of your set up.
I'll keep it brief so we don't hijack the thread.
Maxpedition Sitka
Fits several lenses, the K3, flash with diffuser, cables, batteries, etc. and tablet in back. Modular Molle system, doesn't shout CAMERA BAG etc. SLing bag style good for accessing bag without removing it. Can also be used to stabilize elbows. I use this bag because I alreadyhad it and I didn't want something new. Its not the most comfortable bag being as all the weight is on one shoulder, but its certainly convenient.

My Peak Design Clip is on the bag's strap. I have the Peak Design hand strap (clutch i think) with an arca plate that fits neatly into the PD Clip. I find it very comfortable and easy to adjust. This is comparing it to hand made strap using braided para cord, a 1/4-20 nut/bolt, L bracket, and key ring. That caused some chafing and was not adjustable at all.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
02-14-2015, 04:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
Maxpedition Sitka. Fits several lenses, the K3, flash with diffuser, cables, batteries, etc. and tablet in back....
This set up looks like it can take a lot of abuse and attachments, nice. Glad you mentioned the weight, that's one thing I try very hard to minimize.
02-16-2015, 07:20 AM   #15
Veteran Member

On Thursday, I went shooting down by the river for 2-3 hours. At -25 C, it isn't the easiest task. I probably had more weight in winter gear than camera gear haha. Everything feels clumsy when you're juggling mitts, hat, bulky coats, bags, cameera, tripod, and two feet of snow. Especially when you can't feel your fingers.