Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2015, 12:07 PM   #1

Which filter adapters?

Which make filter adapters (step-up and step-down rings) can you recommend for our lenses?
* I am to buy step-up adapter for my 72mm PL-C filter (Marumi Pro, Ultra slim brass) to be mounted on SMC DA* 50-135mm/2.8 zoom 67mm thread WITH the prioprietary PH-RBK 67mm sun-shade when possible. PH-RBK 67mm internal diameter is enough to acomodate 72mm filter, but its bajonet flange diameter is NOT enough for the shade to be fixed AFTER filter is fixed to the lens, so I expect some tricky play .
* I am also to buy step-up adapter for 77mm PL-C filter to be mounted on the same SMC DA* 50-135mm/2.0 zoom 67mm thread; this might be for travel to have only one-size-fits-all filter (77mm) in a travel bag.
* Just for case I' like also to buy step-down adapter for the above PL-C 72mm filter to be fitted on 77mm filter thread lens (SMC DA* 16-50mm/2.8 and SMC DA 12-24mm/4.0); you never know about vigneting before you live-check, but I do not expect vignetting with SMC DA* 16-50mm at its long end.
There are $3 adapters on the market as well as $33 rings - what is your pesonal experience with them? I'm afraid I am not to spend $$$ for brand-name brass rings

Last edited by Prakticant; 02-14-2015 at 12:35 PM.
02-14-2015, 01:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Back in the eighties I decided on using only one size, as I found it too expensive to have PLs, SMC-coated filters and close distance exquipment in 3 different sizes. (For special effects I used a Cokin system). At that time there were no cheap solutions for step-up rings, no Chinese or Eastern Europe offers. Just West German made (expensive), East German made (cheaper and as good) or imported ones (mostly Japanese). Quality of all these was about the same, but many of the cheapest were thicker (whether that's an advantage or disadvantage depends).

Since the time of eBay I bought several sets from China, and they are good enough. You just should have a close look whether the threads were properly cleaned, and occasionally improve this a bit.

Last edited by RKKS08; 02-14-2015 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Typing
02-17-2015, 08:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I bought mine from Digital Goja on Amazon. They cost like $4 and come with a free microfiber cloth. They don't stick or cause issues for me.