Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2008, 08:18 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax Sling Bag

Hi there,

This has probably already been asked, so apologies for asking again.

I am looking at the Pentax Sling Bag which goes for about $60 plus $8 shipping. At first I thought that was high until I looked at the off brand name bags on eBay. Those ranged from $70 - 100 dollars with shipping. I would rather buy the Pentax model, but first I would like to hear from those who own one.

Opinions anyone?

Thank you,
Tom

06-02-2008, 07:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I couldn't post you to the relevant thread, but I've noticed quite a lot of satisfied customers.

I use a Pentax Crossover bag, which is quite tiny, but it gets the job done very well indeed. Expect more of the same from the Sling bag.
06-02-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm going to get rid of mine once I find a suitable replacement.

The single strap puts quite a strain on one shoulder (the reason my golf bag now has 2 straps), and as a side effect...gives you "manmarries" even if you don't have any

I'm 6'3" 165lbs, and it looks like I have man boobs...which I don't

Otherwise, I like it just fine and holds 98% of my stuff with no problem.

Edit: Just noticed you're in WI...I'm in Madison and sometimes up to Sheboygan and New London. If you're near me, you can check it out...
06-02-2008, 02:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I thought a long time about the Pentax bag, it's just a bit too small for me, so I went with the Lowepro 200.

06-02-2008, 03:59 PM   #5
Inactive Account

If you're tall the support strap doesn't really go around your waist.
06-02-2008, 05:25 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I case you didn't know, there is a Pentax sling bag for sale in the forums here. I don't know the seller in any way - just making you aware if you are still interested.
06-03-2008, 09:03 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
I'm going to get rid of mine once I find a suitable replacement.

The single strap puts quite a strain on one shoulder...

I guess I don't understand this part. As far as I know the only way you can have a "Sling" bag is to have one strap. This is needed so it can be brought forward for easy access. From the looks of the item the strap looks very wide compared to standard camera bags...of which I use now. All I am looking for is a slinger that can hold my camera with lens and two other lenses along with small accessories. If it serves that purpose it's good enough for me.

Thanks for the feedback.

06-03-2008, 10:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

It would be like having a back pack on one shoulder vs. both...although the strap on your chest helps distribute the weight.

Not that it's horrible, but it's not for me. I also find that I never use the "sling around" option, probably because my lenses involve a fuss to change.

For just 2 lenses + cam with lens + accessories, it's more than enough room.

Mine has: K10 + grip with 24-50 attached, 90mm in the main pocket, and filter pouch in the little slit (and step up rings and rubber lens hood)...

Top has 80-320 + charger cord + little stuff like pen, paper, reader, etc.

Front pocket: battery, rechargeable batteries, memory card case.

Bottom: flash + wireless trigger/receiver, Zenitar, camera battery charger + cord, regular battery charger.

There's still room in the top for a multi-tool and some flash drives
06-03-2008, 12:04 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
I case you didn't know, there is a Pentax sling bag for sale in the forums here. I don't know the seller in any way - just making you aware if you are still interested.
Thanks for pointing me to it!

Purchased!!!
07-12-2008, 12:50 AM   #10
Forum Member

Sorry for waking up a relatively old thread... but what's the difference between the Pentax Sling Bag and the Crossover Bag?

(I can't find the Sling version on the shops I checked, only the Crossover, but if the Sling is a lot better I'll search harder)
07-12-2008, 12:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nanthiel Quote
Sorry for waking up a relatively old thread... but what's the difference between the Pentax Sling Bag and the Crossover Bag?

(I can't find the Sling version on the shops I checked, only the Crossover, but if the Sling is a lot better I'll search harder)
I have the crossover bag, and it is relatively tiny (looks like a small rocket on your back). It is the size equivalent of the LowePro Slingshot 100.

The sling bag is larger. (like the Slingshot 200)
08-04-2008, 06:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Sling bag is in US:
Pentax | D-SLR Sling Bag (Black) | 85120 | B&H Photo Video
I love this bag!!!: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Crossover bag is in Europe.
08-06-2008, 07:49 AM   #13

Say, can anyone advise if this will hold a K20d without a battery grip but with a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 DG EX attached? I've been making do with a decent Canon backpack, but I've been pondering either this or a Tamrac Velocity.
08-06-2008, 07:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Grimlock Quote
Say, can anyone advise if this will hold a K20d without a battery grip but with a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 DG EX attached? I've been making do with a decent Canon backpack, but I've been pondering either this or a Tamrac Velocity.

It holds my K100D + 70-210. But it's only a f/4.5. I do believe it can accomodate a wider lens barrel, but it would be a bit of a tight fit.
09-19-2008, 02:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
MyPentaxSpace

Last edited by Nowhere Matt; 09-19-2008 at 02:33 PM.