Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2015, 02:28 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good used tripod?

I was just wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good used tripod model to look for. I need something that is arca compatible and under $150. Preferably something under or around 5-6 pounds. Thanks

02-22-2015, 02:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Manfrotto 055 for the legs they are often found used. The older ones might be listed as "Bogen". I greatly prefer a separate head and legs, not integrated. For heads? In that budget might be hard. Look here: https://www.keh.com/search/list?n=159 The quick release plate is also best as a separate item not integrated. But that adds to the cost again.

All that said, it really depends on what you need, how you use it, and how much weight you put on it. I have a small "MeFoto" travel tripod I like. Cost was in your budget new and it works fine as long as you don't try to put a heavy lens on it. Works great with k-3 and a small lens. DA 60-250 is too much. It has a nice little ball head with Arca swiss clamp.
02-22-2015, 03:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have a k-50 and my heaviest lens is a k135/2.5. Though I probably won't use that lens on the tripod much. I'll probably use it mostly for my da50 or k35/3.5. Also, I use a peak design camera clip which is why I need an arca compatible plate. I'll check out your suggestions.
Thanks
02-22-2015, 03:06 PM   #4

There's this one in the Marketplace: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/288993-sal...-like-new.html

I have this model and do like it.

02-22-2015, 03:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shuber Quote
There's this one in the Marketplace: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/288993-sal...-like-new.html

I have this model and do like it.
I was going to buy that from him but it's not arca compatible. And I can't find any kind of arca to vangaurd plate. I thought about just taking off my peak design plate every time but that sounds like it'll be a pain. So the search continues.
02-22-2015, 03:20 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Be careful, someone may not have been happy with a tripod or they would not be selling it. Also get a tripod that is rated much higher than your heaviest weight combo, because you will get other lenses, and unless perfectly balanced, the weight it needs to hold is greater than the actual weight of the camera with lens. An awful lot of tripods were designed for videocams and point and shoots, check those specs.
02-22-2015, 05:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah I don't want to get a cheap tripod. I was hoping there'd be something that was maybe like $200-250 a few years ago that I could get used for around$150 now. It's hard to try finding reviews on older equipment and I don't wanna get ripped off on something that was prone to wearing out after a year. But if worse comes to worse, I'll just not buy anything. I don't need a tripod but there's things that I'd like to do that require one.

02-22-2015, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Another dyemention Quote
Yeah I don't want to get a cheap tripod.
Depending on your gear and needs a 'good' tripod can vary a lot. For me a 'good' tripod + head starts in the $700 range and a great one would be in the $1,000 plus range. But you can certainly get a good one that will work fine for far less. You just need to consider what you need and what you don't need.

Some things to consider:
  • Name brands like Manfrotto usually command a bit of premium over knock offs, but usually for good reason. But not always
  • Weight of the head and tripod is a factor in price. A heavy steel one can be had for next to nothing, aluminum is more and carbon fiber even more. Once you get to a certain point every ounce less gets very expensive.
  • Amount of weight to support is important. That's already been mentioned. Rule of thumb is weigh your heaviest gear and double that. Manufacturers tend to be optimistic about the weight supported
  • Height of the legs adds to cost. If you need something that you can stand and look through without crouching and you are 6 foot plus, be prepared to pay for that
  • Many of the small 'travel' tripods are quite functional provided you don't over load them or open them up all the way. My MeFoto is great but I never bother with the last leg segment, it is too spindly.
  • A cheap ball head is NOT just not as good as a good one, it is a waste of materials and money that will drive you up a wall. A cheap one will leave you wondering why you ever thought you needed a tripod, a good one is a joy to use.
  • Lots of places to look for used gear, estate sales, Good Will stores, garage sales, Craig's list and so on. I paid $15 for my first 'good' tripod. An all steel surveyors tripod that weighs about 25 pounds. Not practical to hike with but worked just fine in the studio.
02-24-2015, 06:18 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you don't want carbon, you can get a Sirui or MeFoto for about your target price. Even the carbon Sirui T-025X (which I own) is not that far from your target, at 230$. Adorama also carry the 3Pod brand which seems to be ok.

Without necessarily spending 700$, I suggest you do not cheap out on your tripod. You'll end up spending the same amount in the future anyway, when your first tripod does not satisfy you.

Do you want a light tripod to carry anywhere? A sturdy tripod that's rock-hard? a tall one? Does it need to get to ground level? Etc. Get what you actually want.

Also, remember that carbon vs aluminum is an important difference. I have a large aluminum tripod (cheap, I'll confess) with a good Vanguard head. It's MUCH less sturdy than my compact and light carbon tripod. The difference is surprising, you'd never believe it by looking at them.
04-01-2015, 10:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Another dyemention Quote
I was going to buy that from him but it's not arca compatible. And I can't find any kind of arca to vangaurd plate. I thought about just taking off my peak design plate every time but that sounds like it'll be a pain. So the search continues.
You can buy an Arca-Swiss clamp like this: Osrso Clamp for Quick Release Plate Compatible Arca Swiss Tripod Ball Head QR50 | eBay Attach it to any tripod camera mount or QR plate to convert just about any brand tripod to A-S compatible.