Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2015, 02:57 PM   #16

I'd vote for a decent pair of well ventilated trail runners.

IME, waterproofing just makes for sweaty wet feet, and disallows good evaporation especially in a place as hot and humid as a rainforest. As for brands, go to an REI or similar outfitter, try stuff on, buy what fits best. Be sure to break them in before the trip.

edit: It's important to have a quick drying sock as well. Regular cotton socks are terrible for this. Something like a synthetic or a merino wool blend hiking sock will work much better.

Last edited by gooberlx; 02-24-2015 at 03:17 PM.
02-24-2015, 04:05 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gooberlx Quote
...go to an REI or similar outfitter...
MEC, right?
02-24-2015, 05:00 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
MEC, right?
Yeah, that looks like the Canadian equivalent.
02-25-2015, 06:30 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
support local or Canadian business whenever I can.
I didn't notice you were in Canada. Indeed, MEC is your best bet, and you can even order online a ton of shoes and bring back to a store the ones you don't like

02-25-2015, 07:18 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The most comfortable shoes I have are a set of Asolo mid hikers. They're pretty well ventilated, but not like a crosstrainer or light shoe. They're a boot and have great support for their weight.

If you have an REI or similar outfitter go there and start trying on shoes. Each manufacturer has slightly different forms, so you can find one which fits you. I know which ones tend not to fit my narrow heel, and those which do.
02-25-2015, 08:07 AM   #21
Forum Member

I got a pair of Keen light trail shoes from MEC and have been very happy with them. Wore them hiking in through Death Valley, on my last trip to Alberta, and on photowalks when the weather is a bit warmer. They're light, comfortable, and my feet don't really sweat too much in them. Make sure you also wear comfortable, good socks.
02-25-2015, 08:39 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you're walking through vegetation, conventional waterproof boots that reach up to your shins and up the back of your ankle are the go.

If not, check out the lower cut types used by trail runners.

02-25-2015, 09:26 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
If you're walking through vegetation, conventional waterproof boots that reach up to your shins and up the back of your ankle are the go.

If not, check out the lower cut types used by trail runners.
A decent pair of gaiters and long pants are also advisable if tromping through the vegetation. Ideally, nowhere for the ticks etc. to crawl in or seeds to get into your boots. They'll also keep your socks dry.
02-25-2015, 12:01 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have problem feet and have gone to wearing 2 pair of thin Smart Wool socks with my Hi-Tech mid hikers. No blisters, my feet stay dry, and are warm in winter and cool in summer. Just my $0.02.
02-25-2015, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wool socks do rock - insulating, sweat wicking, and anti-bacterial. :-)
02-25-2015, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whatever you get, make sure you take them out for a decent test walk (a couple of hours) first, ideally with some terrain that is similar to what you'll be handling and carrying some weight similar to the stuff you'll be carrying on your photo expedition. (My shoes feel different when I'm just strolling along a city street versus walking on a soggy, rocky path while carrying camera gear.) While you probably can't mimic "rain forest" conditions exactly, try to find somewhere to walk that has you going uphill and down (not stairs but slanted roads or sidewalks) and maybe in rainy weather. The paths in a local park can be a good option. That way you'll find out whether the shoes rub your feet (sometimes you don't notice rubbing unless you're walking uphilll or downhill), are moderately water-resistant, have treads that grip on slippery surfaces, etc. And then on your photo adventure, pack some decent blister bandaids.

Unless the terrain is very uneven or you expect to be slogging through water or mud puddles, you probably don't need ankle-height or higher shoes/boots. I took Goretex-lined trail running shoes to Borneo last year and they worked out well.
02-25-2015, 05:11 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Shoes are only one part of the equation. It is important to prevent blisters get liner socks and good breathable socks to go over it. This maybe too much information than you need especially if it is just for a weekend but here goes:

Liner Socks: Amazon.com : Fox River Wick Dry CoolMax Liner Sock, MEDIUM MEN 5-9; WOMEN 6-10 WHITE : Athletic Socks : Sports & Outdoors
Socks: Amazon.com: Wigwam Men's Hiking/Outdoor Pro Length Sock: Sports & Outdoors
Waterproof Hiking Shoes: Merrell Men's Moab Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot, Earth, 8.5 M US : Amazon.com
[The ankle high shoes can make a big difference to comfort and safety but not everyone likes the feel of it]
Hiking pants: Amazon.com: Clothin Men's Quick Dry Lightweight Waterproof Convertible Climbing Pants: Sports & Outdoors
[Convertible-so you can zip it off into shorts if need be. They are also available in water-resistant material which is even better if you can find it]

Not sure how much hiking you will be doing but if it is significant or significantly more than you are used to. Try this
Steps:
1. Apply vaseline to bare feet to reduce blister risk
2. Next slip on the liner sock
3. Over this goes the hiking socks
5. Lastly the broken-in hiking shoes.

[I walked over 100 Km over a 5 day period [Santiago De Compostela trail in Spain] and before I did this, I had not been much of a walker. But I practiced for a couple of weeks with the shoes I was going to use. Nary a blister. If you have nothing better to do : ), the journey of the walk is here:https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/267...or-camera.html The walk itself begins at about the 2:47 mark ]

Last edited by psychdoc; 02-25-2015 at 05:50 PM.
02-26-2015, 07:40 PM   #28
Site Supporter

I walk 50 miles per week on the streets of Philly and also do some hiking in the Poconos. My boot of choice is the Lowa Renegade GTX boot. I bought them on a whim and really like them. My other boots are Vasque St. Elias and Breeze GTX. All are very nice boots but the Lowa's are my favorite. I buy from Online Shoes when I get a 30% off coupon.
03-03-2015, 11:03 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I ended up being able to take advantage of a great local deal of buy one get one 50% off. I ended up grabbing two pair's of Merrels. The Moab hiking boot (waterproof), and whatever I'm wearing now... which is just a hiking shoe (not waterproofed) but incredibly comfortable. $200 for the pair!

I've been alternating them every other day, logging around 20,000+ steps a day, but only in the concrete jungle. I got a shoot this weekend which will have more uneven terrain, but nothing too special. Then I got Canadian Fashion Week (just got my press pass on Saturday!), and then 3 weeks until the rain forest trip.

I'll be getting them convertible pants mentioned earlier (was planning on those anyways), and thanks for the sock recommendations, I over looked that.

the big question is going to be gear... I want to travel light. so I think I'll be taking my K3, DA15, FA Limiteds trio, DA*50-135 all in a Thinktank waist kit pouch, with tripod/light stand/ strobe over my back. It is a fashion shoot after all... The question is, do I use my 540FGZ flash or my Elinchrom flash. Or do I rent a Profoto B1.....mmmmm profoto B1...... *drooling*

Or.... do I kill myself and carry D800, 70-200, 24-70, 16-35, Sigma 50, and a pair of SB910 flashguns, umbrella's, stands.... owie.
03-03-2015, 11:42 AM   #30
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good choice! I also have a pair of Merrel hiking shoes. Very comfortable!