Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2015, 09:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
walking shoes

I'm sure this is going to be the place to ask...

I'm in need of replacing my walking/light hiking shoes, especially before May as a group of us local fashion photographers are going to take a weekend trip to a rainforest to do some crazy photo stuff... anyways... I know nothing about hiking shoes, or really proper clothing in general as I have no sense of style and buy everything from Wal-Mart or Marks work warehouse. (yes, the person with no sense of style who needs his wife to dress him has taken up fashion photography. figure that out)

So, i'm on the look out for a $150 or less pair of walking shoes that are waterproof and will not overheat with good arch support. any ideas? certain brands to avoid?

how does this link to photography? were on our feet walking to remote locations to use our pentax weather sealed cameras right?!

02-23-2015, 09:43 PM   #2
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the Keene brand; very comfortable, good support.

http://www.keenfootwear.com/?utm_source=bing_X_X_X-Exact

I found them in one of my local sporting goods store.
02-23-2015, 10:06 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Solomon Quest 4D GTX are quite good. May be a bit more than you want to spend. Comfortable, waterproof, light and good soles. I walk a lot and am on my second pair.
02-23-2015, 10:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Solomon Quest 4D GTX are quite good. May be a bit more than you want to spend. Comfortable, waterproof, light and good soles. I walk a lot and am on my second pair.
I second that.

02-24-2015, 12:26 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I tried a bunch of things on this year when it was time to replace mine and ended up with some Salewas, which are by far the best hiking shoes I've ever had by far. For me, though I had to try a lot of pairs on to get to the right ones. I went to a local shop that specializes and gave me good advice. Fit is really important and you're going to need to find the right ones for you. There's got to be a good trekking shop in Edmonton, right?
02-24-2015, 01:44 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Whatever you get wear them in before you go.
02-24-2015, 05:04 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

WALK BEFORE YOU WALK, as recommended by officiousbystander is great advice. Not possible to predict chaffing with a shoe-store fitting, much less an on-line purchase. Wear them A LOT around the house, locally, whenever possible, continuously to let them accommodated to your feet. On vacation is not the time to discover that your new shoes generate blisters.

That said, I have very troublesome feet - no arches since birth (each step they spread out like pancake batter). As I've aged huge bunions have developed, and my left big toe turn outward totally under my second toe. My standard size is 11 4E, not available from all manufacturers, but I also need a lot of "loft" above my toes, especially on that weird left foot. Consistently best brand for me has been New Balance. Not just athletic shoes. A variety of leather shoes for dress and field under the Dunham label, apparently absorbed by NB. On their website, you can select "men's" "hiking" and "waterproof", in any order to check out what they offer. Almost all NB shoes are offered in widths up to 4E, some to 6E, They are worth a look. Check on line for a nearby outlet where you might be able to find the model you'd like to try, but NB has a good return policy for on-line purchases.

02-24-2015, 05:25 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
how does this link to photography?
Is that you only use prime lenses the correct answer?
02-24-2015, 06:00 AM   #9

I prefer Merril MOAB Gortex shoes. Well worth the price. I too have problem feet that have gotten worse in the past few years due to knee and back problems. The Merril's are the most comfortable shoes that I've found. These are my third pair and in actuality the second pair are still in good shape.
02-24-2015, 06:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I picked up a set of Merrel Chamelons (waterproof) for around that money a bit over a year ago. - I bought them in Philippines as I was working there they were much cheaper than paying the "Australia tax". The USA prices seem are about the same as I paid.

Men's Chameleon Shift Mid Waterproof - Hiking | Merrell

Very comfortable with good arch & ankle support, flexible soles, reasonably lightweight and not too hot in the summer. I haven't fully tested the "waterproof" claim by doing creek crossings though.

I've done lots of hiking in them ranging from totally flat/dusty around Uluru, dry creek beds with soft ankle twisting sand, clambering over boulders in Kata Tjuta, hiking up steep granite mountain in Girraween NatPark (QLD). Loose gravelly & snow (NZ and southernNSW), steep muddy - temperate rainforest. (northern NSW) and on Sunday last weekend was at Cradle Mountain, TAS (see pic attached) although I didn't actually climb right up to it. - didn't have the time or the fitness level.

I've also done loads of urban walking at home and on holidays - it was the only pair of shoes I took on a 3 week UK-France trip.
Can spend the whole day out shooting and being on my feet without getting sore feet. - I get sore arms and neck instead - but of course that's a whole other problem.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
02-24-2015, 06:10 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I can't imagine buying serious walking shoes without trying them on. There are so many brands and models, each fitted to different feet morphologies. Go to a store, you'll get a better fit this way.

The only advice I can give, if you want them truly waterproof, is to get shoes with Gore-tex trim (or equivalent, like North Face's Hyvent).
02-24-2015, 07:05 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you so much for all the advice.

I'm definitely trying them on and buying from a local retailer. I do not but much of anything online and support local or Canadian business whenever I can.

And Im buying the shoes this week and will be wearing them a lot before I hit the rain forest. I currently have no comfortable shoes so I need to do something quick as I'm often on my feet for 12+ hours a day. I should be less fat...
02-24-2015, 07:35 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Be sure to take along plenty of sticky-back moleskin, and scissors to trim. With so short a time to departure, you'll never get the shoes so well broken in that there will be no risk of chafing and blisters.
02-24-2015, 01:49 PM   #14

Go to an outdoor store like Cabellas and try a number of different styles on and get the ones that feel the best, and have what you need in a shoe (waterproof, breathability, shoe, boot, etc. )
02-24-2015, 02:47 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I shop at Academy a lot so here is a list: Academy - Men's Hiking Boots