Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2015, 02:06 AM   #1

Which Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce for AF540FGZ ?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

'Regular' white Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce MZ40 designed for Metz 40MZ 1i & 31 fits also Pentax AF540FGZ unit.
I'd like to buy a set of green & gold color Sto-Fen bouncers, but I cannot find Pentax AF540FGZ (Ist ver.) on the list:
www.stofen.com/store/coloromni.asp
Which of the listed above Sto-Fen sizes, as to your experience, shall fit AF540FGZ head (might be with some DIY homework)?

02-27-2015, 02:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Save yourself some money:

3x-Plastic-Flash-Bounce-Diffuser-for-Pentax-AF540FGZ
02-27-2015, 05:55 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Indeed the items in that ebay link will work flawlessly. It's just properly shaped tupperware, after all.
02-27-2015, 09:15 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Prakticant Quote
'Regular' white Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce MZ40 designed for Metz 40MZ 1i & 31 fits also Pentax AF540FGZ unit.
I'd like to buy a set of green & gold color Sto-Fen bouncers, but I cannot find Pentax AF540FGZ (Ist ver.) on the list:
www.stofen.com/store/coloromni.asp
Which of the listed above Sto-Fen sizes, as to your experience, shall fit AF540FGZ head (might be with some DIY homework)?
While I don't know the answer here, I will suggest that you just ask Stofen directly via email. I had a bit of a time selecting the right stofen for my 540 II flash. (I believe it is different than the one for the original 540 flash.) Just ask them!

02-27-2015, 10:03 AM   #5

Original Poster
Go cheap, or go for the brand name?

I do have cheap Chinese product (as Amazon seller from Asia was the lier it was Stofen Omnibounce product, but he made 100% refund after my claim) for my secondary Sigma ST 610 flash, and then genuine Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce ('Made in USA' ) for AF540FGZ.
The Chinese is 2-3 times thinner plastics.
While it may or may not make the difference with 'milky' white bouncer, the Green one should be proper green (as for fluorescents ) and Gold should be proper gold (for the incandescents ).
The thinner the plastics the weaker the filtration? Depends also on color density of this plastics.
So any help of you using Green and Gold bouncers would be very appreciated.

-----
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Indeed the items in that ebay link will work flawlessly. It's just properly shaped tupperware, after all.
02-27-2015, 11:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Prakticant Quote
I do have cheap Chinese product (as Amazon seller from Asia was the lier it was Stofen Omnibounce product, but he made 100% refund after my claim) for my secondary Sigma ST 610 flash, and then genuine Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce ('Made in USA' ) for AF540FGZ.
The Chinese is 2-3 times thinner plastics.
While it may or may not make the difference with 'milky' white bouncer, the Green one should be proper green (as for fluorescents ) and Gold should be proper gold (for the incandescents ).
The thinner the plastics the weaker the filtration? Depends also on color density of this plastics.
So any help of you using Green and Gold bouncers would be very appreciated.
Tests done around the web compared (white) sto-fen, Lightspheres, and actual tupperware conatiners. There was virtually no difference between the three in small rooms. The sto-fen ferformed differently than the others ni large rooms. I suspect the thickness doesn't change much.

For the colours, it's different, of course a mismatch won't work well.
02-27-2015, 04:27 PM   #7
Banned

I think I read on their site in the past that they don't make the colored ones for the AF540FGZ. If you contact them, they can likely tell you which model would be the best fit though.