Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-26-2015, 03:08 PM   #31
Pentaxian

I need a very light tripod that I can carry in a light backpack without really noticing it!

At last weekend's UK "The photography Show" I bought a lightweight (ally version) Sirui tripod (T-005KX + C-10X ball head) for £90 (about $160 US) from the Sirui stand, for travelling because it seems to support the K-30/18-135 quite well and folds up to a relatively small package that can (hopefully) fit inside/outside my Lowepro 220 Hatchpack backpack - hopefully that will work (but I have changed the small ring below the centre column for hanging a stabilising weight for a bigger one because the original one looks quite fragile, and then put a small carabiner on it!).

FWIW it weighs about 1.2kg (about 2.6lbs) with the centre column and the head.

04-01-2015, 10:52 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
I bought a lightweight (ally version) Sirui tripod (T-005KX + C-10X
How do you like it? Have you tried long exposures on it?
04-01-2015, 11:15 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
Not tried any exposures except the few I made at the show where I bought it a couple of weeks ago - seemed OK for a lightweight unit but I think it needs a steadying weight hung below it for long exposure, so fitted a larger ring, and a carabiner, to hang my small photo backpack below the centre column.

The ball head is basic but seems quite positive with the k-30 & 18-135 sitting on top of it - NB the Arca-Swiss head is not quick release, but that should not be a real issue.
04-01-2015, 11:18 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
NB the Arca-Swiss head is not quick release, but that should not be a real issue.
If you mean the P0, it comes without a QR, with a classic ARCA plate QR, or with a new smaller QR Slidefix plate that isn't classic arca compatible.

04-01-2015, 11:49 AM   #35
Pentaxian

If you mean the P0, it comes without a QR, with a classic ARCA plate QR, or with a new smaller QR Slidefix plate that isn't classic arca compatible.
Not sure to which head you are referring - the type quoted in my first post is what is fitted, and I did ask the sales guy (the EU Sales Manager - according to him!) whether the head is A-S compatible and he said that it is but does not have quick release..

Also, don't forget that type numbers in North America are often different to those in Europe for the same product!

Last edited by jeallen01; 04-01-2015 at 11:59 AM.
04-01-2015, 04:38 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ah I apologize, I thought you meant an actual Arca Swiss (brand) head I meantioned a few pages back. Yes the Sirui C10X is arca style
04-09-2015, 09:49 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
While a few brands (Markins and Acratech) I didn't review in that group come highly recommended, they are in an upcoming review group (which also includes Vanguard and others).
I enjoyed your reviews. I'd love to read your upcoming reviews about smaller heads.
And now you can (finally!):

What goes around: 6 mid-sized ball heads put to the test: Digital Photography Review

I know this is an old thread, but hopefully this information can help someone!

04-09-2015, 10:37 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Outstanding work--very helpful reviews, especially the one on the Acratech GP. It's in the running for my "daydream" outfit (along with the Arca Swiss p0)--although "bang-for-buck" issues here in the real world are leading me toward the Induro BHL2.
04-09-2015, 01:43 PM   #39
Pentaxian

I have used mine for long exposures using a pinhole Holga in Havana and the tripod was certainly stable enough to get Holga quality. We have also used it with the Hasselblad SWC and I think a 5X7 pinhole camera.

It will get a good testing next month in Scotland as we are taking the 005 tripod and a borrowed Mefoto for when we do not want to luge the Manfrotos or to use on the Holgas when the big guys are holding the better cameras.
04-09-2015, 05:33 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Outstanding work--very helpful reviews, especially the one on the Acratech GP. It's in the running for my "daydream" outfit (along with the Arca Swiss p0)--although "bang-for-buck" issues here in the real world are leading me toward the Induro BHL2.
Thanks for reading it, and for the compliment! You can read my review of the BHL3 here, as well. I loved the easy to grab knobs and no-shift performance of that larger Induro, so I don't doubt the BHL2 will be equally good.
04-09-2015, 06:28 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What goes around: 6 mid-sized ball heads put to the test: Digital Photography Review

That was one of the most extensive reviews I have read in quite a while. I have been using my Arcatech GP for 8+ years now and agree with your conclusions. I had to go get it out of my bag, to see the slight problem you referred to - as I had never come across it. Also, I never even thought of the other feature with the friction knob fully loose. I need to try that out some time.

04-09-2015, 06:39 PM   #42
Veteran Member

That's a great review as well...the only thing lacking in the BHL line for me would be the RRS lever clamp, but no doubt all of your review samples are ridiculous overkill for me, considering where I'm at on the photographic food chain.
04-10-2015, 06:14 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Oh sweet, just what I was hoping for! Nicely done.

After reading... I appreciate your thoroughness. This is all fairly new for me, but for a K3 w/ grip and say a Sigma 100-300 f4, what size ball / base would you suggest? Would a Acratech GPSS be enough? Or would I be better going for the GPS or GP? I'm likely going to pair it with a Sirui T2205x or something similar.

Also, I still can't get over the simplicity of the P0 Classic.

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
I have used mine for long exposures using a pinhole Holga
Those Holga's look fun to shoot. Can I see some of your shots with it?

Last edited by wissink; 04-10-2015 at 06:50 AM.
04-10-2015, 08:43 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Oh sweet, just what I was hoping for! Nicely done.
Thanks! I do hope it helps a few people out.

After reading... I appreciate your thoroughness. This is all fairly new for me, but for a K3 w/ grip and say a Sigma 100-300 f4, what size ball / base would you suggest? Would a Acratech GPSS be enough? Or would I be better going for the GPS or GP? I'm likely going to pair it with a Sirui T2205x or something similar.

Also, I still can't get over the simplicity of the P0 Classic.
Well, the Acratech GP, GPS, and GPSS are essentially the same head in the center; same 38mm ball, same locking and friction clamps, same great feel and build quality. All that changes is the size of the quick release and the panning base. Between them, I'd go either with the straight GP, or the GPSS if I had a traveler tripod (although it still won't nestle perfectly between up-folded legs). You can't really go wrong either way.

As far as the P0 goes, it's actually a more complex head, with more moving parts inside and the inability to "convert" to a standard ball head, like the Acratech. While both heads can do "upside down" leveling for perfect horizontal panning, the P0 is stuck in that mode. This actually makes it harder to use the drop slot for portrait orientation, which is a weird thing if you're used to conventional ball heads.

Also, the P0 is intended for lighter loads (smaller ball inside), despite the grossly overstated "max load" numbers from A-S. (They are among the worst at inflating their specs... no idea why, really. Maybe they don't want new models to look "less capable" than their older ones?) Oh, and A-S brand quick release clamps do not play nicely with other brand plates. So if you order a P0, get it without a clamp and put another brand's on top.

Just my .02 CAD (which is roughly .015 USD these days!)

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
no doubt all of your review samples are ridiculous overkill for me, considering where I'm at on the photographic food chain.
Ha! Unless your backpack or budget is tight, overkill is a good thing. It pushes you up the food chain by making it more pleasant to use your gear, so you actually *want* to use a tripod, which will almost always improve your photos (by making them sharper, more deliberate, opening possibilities for long exposures, HDR, panoramas, etc.). Somewhere there's an article about buying the good stuff first, as opposed to slowly spending more money on frustrating half-measures until finally buying the good stuff (found it). This is why I consciously do not review the $25 ball heads off eBay, or (sigh) most smaller Manfrotto heads. Life and light are too short to put up with crappy gear.

Last edited by panoguy; 04-10-2015 at 08:52 AM.
04-10-2015, 09:01 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Those Holga's look fun to shoot. Can I see some of your shots with it?
I will see what I can do, the negatives are 6X12 cm and my Nikon scanner will only do up to 6X9.