Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-09-2015, 12:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ideas to use BR with tripod plate...

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm looking for ideas for using my Black Rapid strap along with my tripod plate, as to not have to unscrew anything when changing back and forth.

My tripod is a Ravelli APGL5 (Ravelli 65 Inch Ball Head Camera Photo Tripod APGL5 - Review)

I'm already aware of ArcaSwiss plates and Manfrotto plates that have adapters for screwing in additional tripod accessories... This is no an option for me as the tripod I have is incompatible with these systems, unfortunately.

I'm curious if another option (cheaper) may be available; other than changing tripod plate systems.

I really love my tripod, the fluid ball head is great and the mounting system is very sturdy and well constructed metal. Changing systems now if out of the question. So here are my options (feel free to add alternatives you have heard of or tried yourself!):

Luma Labs — Membrane Connection from Luma Labs - Luma Labs Membrane Connector: Allowing me to fasten between the plate and my camera.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062TOA4U/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&ps...A22PRX6WI8E2K6 - Generic plate with 1/4'' 20 threads to place on the base of my camera first, then attach the plate and the BR clip... This option may hinder access to battery compartment; still need to measure.

http://joby.com/camera-straps/ultraplate-quick-release-plate - Joby Ultraplate: I won't be able to use the system, so I'd have to simply use it similar to the generic plate above (costs more and is thicker/shorter; least desirable option...)

Let me know if anyone has had success with a DIY alternative!
I've contemplated using paracord (550lb test) and dremel a hole into the tripod plate. This may reduce the strength of the plate though, and I'd still have to remove the sling to attach to tripod each time.

Last edited by UserAccessDenied; 03-09-2015 at 12:44 PM.
03-09-2015, 01:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Black Rapid + Arca Solution | Enthusiast Photographer

Not sure why you wouldn't be able to do a similar technique for whatever tripod system you have. But Arca Swiss just makes more sense to me.
03-09-2015, 01:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OP, are you aware of this one? Custom SLR M-Plate
03-09-2015, 01:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know some people attach the BR strap to the shoulder strap lugs using a larger keyring rather than the triangular factory ones.
Then the plate becomes a non-issue.

I've done this with lenses up to the DA* 16-50 and it worked fine.
I wouldn't go much beyond that though. But if you only use smaller lenses - try it.

03-09-2015, 01:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Bostail is another solution. It works.

I also bought one of these cheap Caden straps to try, because a friend like his. Unfortunately, the threaded hole is not deep enough for the tripod to thread in tightly, and it loosens up. The strap itself is secure enough, but the limiter clamps are also loose, so it's pretty much a failure.
03-09-2015, 03:11 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The membrane connector looks like a neat idea. I would want to know more about reliably, tested weight limits for static and shock.
03-09-2015, 03:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomTom Quote
OP, are you aware of this one? Custom SLR M-Plate
I'm aware, a little pricey for what it is... Plus it doesn't fit my tripod head so I'd have another plate attached to this, getting pretty bulky after stacking.

---------- Post added 03-09-15 at 06:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by skunktail Quote
I know some people attach the BR strap to the shoulder strap lugs using a larger keyring rather than the triangular factory ones.
Then the plate becomes a non-issue.

I've done this with lenses up to the DA* 16-50 and it worked fine.
I wouldn't go much beyond that though. But if you only use smaller lenses - try it.

So I'm using a K30... The two loops on each side for the default neck strap, not sure what to call then, but would a single one be strong enough by itself to attack a ring for the sling?

---------- Post added 03-09-15 at 06:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Black Rapid + Arca Solution | Enthusiast Photographer

Not sure why you wouldn't be able to do a similar technique for whatever tripod system you have. But Arca Swiss just makes more sense to me.

This is ideal... I just need to find the right mount/plate combination so I don't need to stack plates for my tripod head. It gets very cumbersome with the adapter and the plate and the tripod mount for the sling...

03-09-2015, 03:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

It's a $40 dollar tripod. The legs look pretty nice on paper -- probably better than the ones I use. But the head looks very, very basic.

Have you considered shelling out a few dollars for a better ball head that doesn't have an apparently proprietary standard? (it *looks* like Arca Swiss, but comments state that it only closes to 42mm, so an arca swiss plate would fall right out of it). You can replace the head without replacing the legs.

You might end up spending more money to work around the head, and end up with it wasted when you find that you need a better tripod head. I went with Amazon.com : Sirui K-20X 38mm Ballhead with Quick Release, 55.1 lbs Load Capacity : Tripod Camera Mounts : Camera & Photo but there are loads of options.
03-09-2015, 05:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's a $40 dollar tripod. The legs look pretty nice on paper -- probably better than the ones I use. But the head looks very, very basic.

Have you considered shelling out a few dollars for a better ball head that doesn't have an apparently proprietary standard? (it *looks* like Arca Swiss, but comments state that it only closes to 42mm, so an arca swiss plate would fall right out of it). You can replace the head without replacing the legs.

You might end up spending more money to work around the head, and end up with it wasted when you find that you need a better tripod head. I went with Amazon.com : Sirui K-20X 38mm Ballhead with Quick Release, 55.1 lbs Load Capacity : Tripod Camera Mounts : Camera & Photo but there are loads of options.
This is good!
So what is the desired size for ARCA Swiss if 42mm is too big?
03-09-2015, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
This is good!
So what is the desired size for ARCA Swiss if 42mm is too big?
Arca swiss plates are typically about 38mm (1.5 inches), with a 45 degree dovetail.

But you shouldn't need to look at measurements -if it says Arca Swiss compatible, it probably is.

There are sometimes compatibility issues with things like extra security clips that may differ between manufacturers. My ball head has a safety catch - even if the clamp is unscrewed, the plate won't come off the head unless you push a button down, too - but it might not work with all plates. It works with the plates I have, though, and they're not all from the same manufacturer, so I'm happy with it.
03-10-2015, 10:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Arca swiss plates are typically about 38mm (1.5 inches), with a 45 degree dovetail.

But you shouldn't need to look at measurements -if it says Arca Swiss compatible, it probably is.

There are sometimes compatibility issues with things like extra security clips that may differ between manufacturers. My ball head has a safety catch - even if the clamp is unscrewed, the plate won't come off the head unless you push a button down, too - but it might not work with all plates. It works with the plates I have, though, and they're not all from the same manufacturer, so I'm happy with it.
Thanks for the images, they definitely help!

I'm thinking of finding an alternative until I can upgrade the head... I wish I had known of the types of systems before buying a tripod!
I just figured all the plates were interchangeable. I was wrong, assuming companies might work together on a common system!!

As for now I might just buy that 115mm metal plate and attach both that way.

I tried tying a strand of paracord through the slot in my tripod plate, then screwing it in. Went for a walk and it felt sturdy, but there are only 4 threads or so on the tripod plate screw going into the camera... I really don't like having a piece of paracord between this gap causing unnecessary tension on the threading.

I'm still trying to find out if a single loop (where the stock neck straps would go) is strong enough to just attach a ring and sling it from there?
I can't find any info on their strengths. Obviously design to use both to distribute weight; but how strong are they individually?
There is potential for completely new designs utilizing a single loop and leaving the tripod attachment alone altogether.

If anyone has tried attaching to single neck strap loop, let me know!
03-11-2015, 06:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just ordered the Luma Labs Membrane Connector...

I'll post a review once I get it!
03-14-2015, 08:38 AM   #13
Pentaxian

After much struggle and iterations and drawers full of hardware, I got the peak design strap system with their loops. All the mounts work, I have loops on the lens tripod mounts, camera strap mounts, body tripod mounts. They are tough and durable, no screw thing as a single point of failure.
03-14-2015, 07:29 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
After much struggle and iterations and drawers full of hardware, I got the peak design strap system with their loops. All the mounts work, I have loops on the lens tripod mounts, camera strap mounts, body tripod mounts. They are tough and durable, no screw thing as a single point of failure.
DId they ever fix this? Peak Design Strap Failures Causing Dropped Cameras for Some Photographers
03-14-2015, 07:49 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The clip was a production problem when they introduced the wide strap and was sorted out. They shipped some faulty ones, but being in Canada I didn't see mine until it was all fixed. I have used their stuff since late 2013 with no issues, including with the 500 f4.5. Typically I have two systems, like a strap to a body/lens on a monopod, or something similar with the heavy stuff. I change the loops every few months on the heavy equipment mount points that receive constant use.

My purchases have been direct and when some issue arises they email their customers and are quick to replace faulty items.

The black rapid depends on a single clip. I dropped my K5 with 300mm into the snow when it came loose. The difficulty in having tripod mount plates and the black rapid system got me looking elsewhere.