Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2015, 07:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Best hsm teleconverter for sigma 70-200mm

Hi all, since it doesn't seem that sigma has or will come out with an HSM capable teleconverter for K-mount yet, which of the available is best? Does anyone have a Tamron or Kenko paired with the Sigma 70-200mm HSM II and care to provide feedback? Also, are there any new hsm capable options recently released or on the horizon that I may not have seen?

03-09-2015, 07:18 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like you might have missed this one:
Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Definitely the best one that's available.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-09-2015, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Sounds like you might have missed this one:
Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Definitely the best one that's available.
As far as I've heard, the Pentax HD 1.4X RC will not work with a Sigma HSM lens. It certainly doesn't work worth a damn with my Sigma 17-50, nor does the Kenko 1.5X. Both TC's will try to focus but there's lots of back and forth and final focus is unreliable.

I should have my Tamron 70-200mm this week. I expect either converter will work, as it is a screw drive lens.

EDIT: I changed my post above because I left out a word, and ended up saying the opposite of what I tried to say. I should have said "the Pentax HD 1.4X RC will not work with a Sigma HSM lens"

Last edited by audiobomber; 03-10-2015 at 04:38 AM.
03-09-2015, 07:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh, thanks Adam. I had read somewhere that the pentax converter didn't t work with hsm, only sdm or that hsm AF was extremely hit or miss with sigma/Pentax 1.4 combo. I will look into that more.

03-09-2015, 07:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have tested the Pentax 1.4 HD TC with two Sigma HSM lenses and AF was inconsistent at best.
Tested Sigma 70-200OS HSM and Sigma 50-500OS HSM.

I will be surprised if anyone reports consistent AF.

---------- Post added 03-09-15 at 07:54 PM ----------

Previously I had tested a Kenko 1.5pz TC with a Sigma HSM II and that was hit and miss as well for AF.

Manually focused the IQ was very good with the 70-200 lenses.
03-09-2015, 11:00 PM   #6

I have a Tamron-F 1.4X Pz-AF MC4 teleconverter which worked well with a Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM when I had one. No perceptible loss in image quality when used with good glass, and with decent light available the autofocus worked just fine. In poor light it did hunt more, but I suspect that's the case with all teleconverters.

I previously had a Kenko 1.5X Pz teleconverter which did not work nearly as well, with much poorer autofocus and a noticeable degradation in image quality.

Some people say the Kenko and Tamron teleconverters are the same, but that's not my experience.
03-10-2015, 04:48 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I had to edit my post above because I completely messed up my intended meaning.

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I have tested the Pentax 1.4 HD TC with two Sigma HSM lenses and AF was inconsistent at best.
Tested Sigma 70-200OS HSM and Sigma 50-500OS HSM.

I will be surprised if anyone reports consistent AF.

---------- Post added 03-09-15 at 07:54 PM ----------

Previously I had tested a Kenko 1.5pz TC with a Sigma HSM II and that was hit and miss as well for AF.

Manually focused the IQ was very good with the 70-200 lenses.
Crewl1's post corresponds to what I have heard and experienced. My Kenko has poor AF with my SDM and HSM lenses. The Pentax HD 1.4X works extremely well with SDM, but not with HSM. The Pentax HD TC has excellent IQ, but the Kenko 1.5X is very nearly as good. Both work great with screw drive lenses. I don't believe the Sigma TC"s available in K-mount will work with HSM either.

Last edited by audiobomber; 03-10-2015 at 05:00 AM.
03-13-2015, 08:18 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by percy Quote
I have a Tamron-F 1.4X Pz-AF MC4 teleconverter which worked well with a Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM when I had one. No perceptible loss in image quality when used with good glass, and with decent light available the autofocus worked just fine. In poor light it did hunt more, but I suspect that's the case with all teleconverters.

I previously had a Kenko 1.5X Pz teleconverter which did not work nearly as well, with much poorer autofocus and a noticeable degradation in image quality.

Some people say the Kenko and Tamron teleconverters are the same, but that's not my experience.
There was a post on DPR showing the magnification of different TC's and it was discovered at the time that some Kenko 1.5X were 1.5X and some just below 1.4X. IQ also varied between the two, with the 1.4X being superior.

I just tested my Kenko 1.5X vs. Pentax HD 1.4X and the Pentax actually has marginally higher magnification. Both images are very sharp, with a barely noticeable advantage to the Pentax if one peeps at 100%. AF on my Tamron 70-200mm screw drive is the same with either, and both are slower and noisier than the lens alone. With my DA*300 however, I don't notice any difference in AF speed with or without the HD TC. The Kenko 1.5X auto-focus is not worth having with this lens.

As to your finding good AF with the Tamron TC and DA*300, I am highly skeptical. I've seen too many posts that claimed otherwise.

Willskywalker93, what have you decided to do? You can get more advice at DPReview Pentax Forum. Brandrx has many K-mount telephoto lenses and possibly every TC.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/1036

Last edited by audiobomber; 03-13-2015 at 08:26 AM.