Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2015, 02:50 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chuck_c Quote
You can find "Beattie" at Beattie Intenscreen Bright Focusing Screens, however they currently only make screens for the Pentax LX and PZ-1, and in medium format for the 6x7 and 645.
Thanks for the link. I didn't know of Beattie previously, and they turn out to be based in Sydney. Hopefully, the drop in the Australian dollar will help their exports, but they need to move to the Digital era.

03-15-2015, 03:12 PM   #17
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
a loss to all manual lens shooters
Aye that's me I'm afraid, I could be potentially well scunnered.

You can find "Beattie" at
Aye thanks for that, good to see they are still on the go.

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
and they turn out to be based in Sydney
Well your a good bit nearer to them than me, perhaps you could get them working on something suitable for the Pentax FF.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 03-15-2015 at 03:18 PM.
03-15-2015, 06:20 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Well your a good bit nearer to them than me, perhaps you could get them working on something suitable for the Pentax FF.
I think I may go round all that, and ask Ricoh to make the new body screen-compatible with the LX! It's bound to sell a million...

On the other hand, as I was gently reminded the other day, the LX only has 95% viewfinder coverage. Damn!
03-15-2015, 08:41 PM   #19

Ohh shoot. I just logged on to their website a day ago. I was planning to order one tomarrow. And today i saw it. Ohh man, I am bummed.

03-16-2015, 01:42 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cadmus Quote
Ohh shoot. I just logged on to their website a day ago. I was planning to order one tomarrow. And today i saw it. Ohh man, I am bummed.
Try focusingscreen.com, they are pretty good too.

btw, katzeye was a well-respected name so any guesses on why they closed down? for sure not enough business any more.
03-16-2015, 02:39 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I've always gotten mine from focusingscreen.com.

Never tried KatzEye due to the price in comparison and so far, the ones from focusingscreen.com has served me well! It's really, really good!

The only problem is, he refuses to make custom grids for me.

Planning to buy another one but I guess not now...
03-16-2015, 03:39 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Try focusingscreen.com, they are pretty good too.

btw, katzeye was a well-respected name so any guesses on why they closed down? for sure not enough business any more.
Well they recently announced they were changing to order processing in the form of batches once enough orders were in, as opposed to made to order. I have an order, and when I asked how long, they were suggesting after 2-3 weeks that it would be another 2 weeks based on the rate orders were coming in. So I am going to say that business has probably slowed down since live view is easy to use (and free)

03-18-2015, 02:32 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

This is very, very, very sad news, not only because of the loss of a superb product and the great customer service they provided, but also because they went through the trouble to secure a relationship with Ricoh/Pentax to sell the shim kits required for doing a proper job of calibrating aftermarket screen.

RIP KatzEye...

Steve
03-18-2015, 02:35 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
So true. The loss of Katzeye is a loss to all manual lens shooters.
Indeed! And not just within the Pentax realm. KatzEye has been the screen of choice for shooters using many brands of cameras. Yes, there are other vendors, but the KatzEye simply worked.

Steve
03-20-2015, 01:37 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I sent an inquiry to Beattie (aka / Camerascreens) earlier in the week to see if there is any interest there in picking up where KatzEye leaves off. This is their reply:

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-03-19 at 5.55.47 PM.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  110.4 KB

I have no first hand experience with them, but it seems that they have been around for a while. And they are already making screens for Pentax's LX and PZ-1 and medium format cameras, so they are familiar with the brand. It would seem, at this time, that they are at least considering the idea. If a number of people who are interested in a new and reliable source for focus screens for Pentax cameras email them showing interest, they may go with it.
03-20-2015, 02:59 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I sent an inquiry to Beattie (aka / Camerascreens) earlier in the week to see if there is any interest there in picking up where KatzEye leaves off. This is their reply:

Attachment 262390

I have no first hand experience with them, but it seems that they have been around for a while. And they are already making screens for Pentax's LX and PZ-1 and medium format cameras, so they are familiar with the brand. It would seem, at this time, that they are at least considering the idea. If a number of people who are interested in a new and reliable source for focus screens for Pentax cameras email them showing interest, they may go with it.
Hard to imagine how they got by so long making screens for cameras which were discontinued so long ago.
03-20-2015, 05:00 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Attachment 262390

Yes, Beattiie has been around for a long time and yes, they have an excellent reputation in the professional ranks. Now what was the e-mail address we send our pleas to?

Steve
03-20-2015, 05:02 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Hard to imagine how they got by so long making screens for cameras which were discontinued so long ago.
Their bread and butter is screens for medium format and large format cameras. Many pros swear by their product.

Steve
03-20-2015, 10:17 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Never heard of CameraScreens before but they are not far from where I live...
03-21-2015, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, Beattiie has been around for a long time and yes, they have an excellent reputation in the professional ranks. Now what was the e-mail address we send our pleas to?

Steve
Go to camerascreeens.com and in the top bar, immediately to the right of their logo in the left corner, click on CONTACT US. Fill in your name, email address and in the next box select "General Enquiry". The "Message" box is where you make your plea. Type the appropriate word in the spam filter box, then click on "Submit". That should get 'er done.