Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2015, 02:01 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KatzEye Optics has closed its business

KatzEye

Edit: This post originally provided a link to an announcement from KatzEye Optics that its business was closing. Since this thread was opened, more recent news from KatzEye on or about 24 March 2015 indicated that the company's business would continue. Please see post number 41 in this thread. The link that I posted here will also direct you to the update.

Edit: Please see post number 54 in this thread, and the company's website, for a recent update. Regrettably, it seems that the business will close.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 05-11-2015 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Updated news from the company
03-14-2015, 02:03 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Oh dear it's a sad day, I've been using their product over the years and have always been very happy.
03-14-2015, 02:14 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

That's awful news. Does anyone else make alternate focussing screens for Pentax?
03-14-2015, 02:24 PM   #4
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know of these guys

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
That's awful news. Does anyone else make alternate focussing screens for Pentax?
I use one from here in my K5

Focusing Screen

03-14-2015, 06:38 PM   #5
Closed Account

Rats...!!! Good stuff.
03-14-2015, 08:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Umm I must have one of the last Katzeye ever made then.. it is one of those "currently on the books" so fingers crossed it still makes it. It may make me incredibly sad if this is as good as all the hype around it.
03-14-2015, 09:15 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
I use one from here in my K5
Focusing Screen
Thanks for the link! Their pricing from Taiwan was probably what killed KatzEye. It's hard to compete when the other guy has that sort of currency advantage.

03-15-2015, 01:02 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Crap. That's a real shame and a great loss for Pentax users.

I have a Katzeye in my K200D and I wouldn't have been able to use all those beautiful old manual lenses over the last 5 years had it not been for the screen. I probably would have bought one for my new K3 in the summer as I plan to be in the states.

I suspect that this is less as a result of competition from the far east and more as a result of the decline of the DSLR and the rise of good live-view with focus peaking. The K3 has a much better viewfinder than the K200D but with the Katzeye installed and shimmed to perfection I can reliably focus much better with the K200D.
03-15-2015, 01:40 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have one in my K-30 and was assuming that in some year to come I'd be putting one in a Pentax FF. It's not to be. :-(
03-15-2015, 02:08 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

That is a real shame. I've been using their screens for customized guidelines in my viewfinder since my K10D. I do hope Pentax will keep their screens compatible with the current K-3 screens on their APS-C models, so I can continue using my screen. Otherwise I would miss my Katzeye screen too much...

I wish Rachael and the other people at Katzeye all the best and thank them for their excellent support in repeatedly making a screen according to my outlandish requirements.

Wim

Last edited by Ishpuini; 03-16-2015 at 03:35 AM.
03-15-2015, 03:10 AM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
was assuming that in some year to come I'd be putting one in a Pentax FF. It's not to be. :-(
You and me both, I need to find a replacement supplier now for use with my fast Ladies if the FF later in the year.

In the old days there used to be "Beatie" screens for the LXs, I wonder if they are still on the go?
03-15-2015, 05:44 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

This is very sad news. After basically wasting my money on imported crap, I ordered a Katz Eye screen and it was perfect. Well worth the premium price IMO.
03-15-2015, 01:13 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sad.

K10D + Katzeye + Takumars =
03-15-2015, 01:49 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tall Guy Quote
K10D + Katzeye + Takumars =

So true. The loss of Katzeye is a loss to all manual lens shooters.
03-15-2015, 01:52 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
You and me both, I need to find a replacement supplier now for use with my fast Ladies if the FF later in the year.

In the old days there used to be "Beatie" screens for the LXs, I wonder if they are still on the go?
You can find "Beattie" at Beattie Intenscreen Bright Focusing Screens, however they currently only make screens for the Pentax LX and PZ-1, and in medium format for the 6x7 and 645.