Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2015, 11:44 AM   #16

I was quoting Marumi Digital PRO brass series which I got (1 polarizer, 3 protectors), not Marumi DHG Super which is different series I do not own.
Polarizer is not just coating, polarizer is the stuff sandwitched between the two pieces of glass.
The quoted cast of Marumi PRO and Hoya HD concerns the reflected picture (loook at your filter at angle, from the 'outside' and from the 'inside' esp. for Circular-PL), not the light which passes through the filter.
B+W (at least top series) are sealed around the glass, profitable in humid/wet environments (against fungus build-up, etc.).
You may study someone's work here:
www.lenstip.com/115.1-article-Polarizing_filters_test_Introduction.html

-----
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Marumi DHG super are apparently good too.

Last edited by Prakticant; 03-15-2015 at 12:50 PM.
03-15-2015, 11:48 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Oh I forgot to mention the use of hoods
For the DA15 no issue to use the integrated Hood with the pola.
For the DA 21 it is another story. I have switched to the DA 20-40, and it is possible to stack the XS-pro and the Hood - which doesn't seem very efficient anyway.
B+W has made improvements in coatings in recent models
03-15-2015, 12:05 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
Oh I forgot to mention the use of hoods
For the DA15 no issue to use the integrated Hood with the pola.
For the DA 21 it is another story. I have switched to the DA 20-40, and it is possible to stack the XS-pro and the Hood - which doesn't seem very efficient anyway.
B+W has made improvements in coatings in recent models
I tryed today the DA21 + the B+W older version I have + a ruber hood. Not really for taking photos, the weather was terrible, but more to see how if it would work. Well, it works. That's just a bit disapointing to need 2 hoods :P The normal one and the ruber one when using the pola.

What you hint me is except if I see wonderfull success stories with other polarisers, the next logical step is to take the hood with me together with the pola in a side pocket and check where I can buy the improved version.
03-15-2015, 12:07 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Prakticant Quote
I was quoting Marumi Digital PRO brass series which I got (1 polarizer, 3 protectors), not Marumi DHG Super which is different series I do not own.
Ok, sorry I was mistaken ! Thanks for the correction !

03-15-2015, 12:29 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have seen this with my Hoya so I am interested also. Shot below its with a DA 15 and Hoya CP.

---------- Post added 03-15-15 at 03:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Prakticant Quote
Polarizer is not just coating, polarizer is the stuff sandwitched between the two pieces of glass.
The quoted cast of Marumi PRO and Hoya HD concerns the reflected picture (loook at your filter at angle, from the 'outside' and from the 'inside' esp. for Circular-PL), not the light which passes through the filter.
B+W (at least top series) are sealed around the glass, profitable in humid/wet environments (against fungus build-up, etc.).

-----
Circular Polarizer Filter Review

Kasemann filters are a style of filter sealed like you mention available in several brands.. This is not needed by most of us and only adds expense. The nano and multicoated coating make sense.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 03-15-2015 at 12:39 PM.
03-15-2015, 01:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I have seen this with my Hoya so I am interested also. Shot below its with a DA 15 and Hoya CP.

---------- Post added 03-15-15 at 03:38 PM ----------

Circular Polarizer Filter Review

Kasemann filters are a style of filter sealed like you mention available in several brands.. This is not needed by most of us and only adds expense. The nano and multicoated coating make sense.

This is not really clear to me. It look like the Kasemann also change a bit the efficiancy of the foil (for the better).

Anyway the link look like a full fanboy/paid review for B&H ! He speak only of theses one.
03-15-2015, 01:50 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is not really clear to me. It look like the Kasemann also change a bit the efficiancy of the foil (for the better).

Anyway the link look like a full fanboy/paid review for B&H ! He speak only of theses one.
I agree, the review isn't useful. But the clarity around what Kasemann is was what I liked.

03-15-2015, 02:08 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, according to lenstip the KSM polariser has better results :
Red color extinction coefficient: 7.19E-4 - Score: 3/4
Green color extinction coefficient: 7.27E-4 - Score: 3/4
Blue color extinction coefficient: 1.85E-2 - Score: 0.5/4
Mean transmission of the whole spectrum: 34.4% - Score: 1.88/3
Vs
Red color extinction coefficient: 1,03E-3 - Score: 2/4
Green color extinction coefficient: 1,01E-3 - Score: 2/4
Blue color extinction coefficient: 2,85E-2 - Score: 0.5/4
Mean transmission of the whole spectrum: 35.37% - Score: 2.07/3
Around 30 % more efficient extinction
03-15-2015, 03:55 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I agree, the review isn't useful. But the clarity around what Kasemann is was what I liked.

Except I read like goubejb the lenstip article and it is apparently not true.

I mean if we read the review of the B+W evengelist, the only benefit of Kasemann is if one spend is time using his filter while taking a shower: sealed and more water repealant.

Neather the nano coating or the better foil for him bring anything in actual picture quality.

While actual tests show apparently this is different.
03-15-2015, 06:49 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Except I read like goubejb the lenstip article and it is apparently not true.

I mean if we read the review of the B+W evengelist, the only benefit of Kasemann is if one spend is time using his filter while taking a shower: sealed and more water repealant.

Neather the nano coating or the better foil for him bring anything in actual picture quality.

While actual tests show apparently this is different.
Anything newer? I know the old 2009 Lenstip article said something like that but I haven't seen anything else say it. Also some of the other companies have similar fanboy articles that say the same thing about Kaseman. B&H talked my dad out of Kaseman despite the higher sale price - maybe they make more on the cheaper ones? Sealing the edges shouldn't change the look. The nano particles and the multicoating - I buy into that being useful.
03-15-2015, 11:51 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Anything newer? I know the old 2009 Lenstip article said something like that but I haven't seen anything else say it. Also some of the other companies have similar fanboy articles that say the same thing about Kaseman. B&H talked my dad out of Kaseman despite the higher sale price - maybe they make more on the cheaper ones? Sealing the edges shouldn't change the look. The nano particles and the multicoating - I buy into that being useful.

Didn't find anything more

Edit: From users review:
- Hoya Pro1 seems to clean very easily but several users on Amazon complain they easily scratched it. They seems easy to clean.
- Avoid slim filter if you don't need them, they are much more difficult to remove.
-B&W even the best look difficult to clean, get the best reviews overall. They seems to affect (reduce) a litle more picture resolution than the hoya.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 03-16-2015 at 12:48 AM.
03-16-2015, 04:08 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Um, I have a cheap Hoya CPL that developed a problem over time. It got foggy on the inside. So sealing might help a polarizer's longevity. I haven't tried taking it apart and cleaning the inside