Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2015, 04:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Best Polariser available ?

Hello,

I like the effect a polariser can do to landscape pictures in particular.

I started with an hoya polariser that was 67mm wide for my 17-70 and 50-135.

Now I have a B+W F-Pro Circular Polariser MRC 49mm wide because well all my prime lenses are using 49mm filter size.

I found that the filter can be very effective and interresting combined with my DA21 or DA35. There 2 things I don't fully like through:

- It seems to be very difficult to clean compared to say lenses. My Pentax lenses would clean easily with any kind of fabric or almost. My pola would need microfiber and ever then need more work.
- It really had flare in many occasions, reducing its utility.

What would be the best polariser I can find? Something that would be easier to clean and would not be prone to flare?

I was thinking B+W are great but it is difficult to compare as even they seems to have several models available. The hoya was not bad but I don't remember maybe enough. I know I was more impressed with the effect on my primes, like DA21 and that the new one but I didn't use the old that much.

I have seen the Lenstip review but it is now old (6 years) and the best ranked polariser apparently is disqualified as being linear. I'am a bit lost here.

Money should not be problem. If it really better I would agree on something like 100€ if it improve the things and I guess for 49mm that give quite a margin.

What are your advices?

03-15-2015, 04:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it is for landscapes you might want to look into the Lee filters. (square plates in a holder)
03-15-2015, 04:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
- It seems to be very difficult to clean compared to say lenses. My Pentax lenses would clean easily with any kind of fabric or almost. My pola would need microfiber and ever then need more work. - It really had flare in many occasions, reducing its utility.
Well, you are spoiled by the Pentax lenses. Pentax lens coatings are really amazing, but people take it for granted. Its the SP coatings that make lenses easy to clean, and the SMC, HD and aerobright coatings that make lenses to flare- and ghosting-resistant.
The main thing you can do is try to use a lens hood on the outside of the filter, so that less stray light falls on the filter. This might be difficult with some lenses. If budget is not a constraint, you can try using a filter system like Lee or Cokin with one of those big soft lens hoods (Flex Lens Shade?)

One other thing you can try is buying a multicoated linear polarizer, instead of a circular one. Some say a linear polarizer can affect AF and metering on digital cameras, but others use it without problems.

The problem with saying which polarizer is the best is that there are so many, and you cannot get every model in all sizes. Companies even change their formulas over time without telling us. And if you buy online, there is a chance you get a fake.
03-15-2015, 05:17 AM   #4
Closed Account

I agree with the 2 last posts. One more less known manufacturer is Marumi which is used by many pros. MARUMI Filter

03-15-2015, 05:22 AM   #5
Pentaxian

+1 for Marumi.

Although it negates use of lens hoods, I buy filters for the largest diameter lens I intend using them on then use step down ( or is it step up?) rings to enable them to be fitted on smaller diameter lenses.

I shade the front of the lens manually using my hand or a piece of card, just making sure 'it' doesn't appear in the view-finder.
03-15-2015, 05:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
If it is for landscapes you might want to look into the Lee filters. (square plates in a holder)
Well I should have added... Why I love my ltd so much is because they are small/light and comes with small included nice hood. I don't like big hoods. This kind of filter look like a bit more trouble and cumbersome than I would like it to be.

Through this is informative: adding a hood could help. After going to Lee web page and wandering I figured that my actual filter has has a 49 filter thread on top so you could add another filter... or a hood.

It happen I already have a rubber hood of 49mm that I aquired for the DA35 f/2.4... I'll try that to see if it actually improve things. Thanks for the tip !
03-15-2015, 07:48 AM   #7

Get Nikon CP filter.
Or Canon, if they make particular size.
www.adorama.com/NK52CPLN.html?amp;amp;amp;#reviews
www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/300495-REG/Nikon_2233_52mm_Circular_Polarizer_Glass.html?amp;KBID=6867&KBID=6867&KBID=6867&
Saving the budget I buy my filters on sale, so I own Hoya (HMC Super / HD), Marumi (PRO brass) and also Tiffen (that came free with the DA* 50-135mm lens).
I cannot say which of Marumi Digital PRO or Hoya HD is 'better' (besides brass vs. aluminum rings, 72mm Marumi brass filter is heavier than 77mm Hoya aluminum). Marumi reflects warmer, Hoya reflects cooler, might be Hoya transparency is slighlty slighly better (1/6 stop?, but I'm not able to say that for sure), Tiffen regular white box PL filter is lower league with reflective surfaces and low transparency with cool (I mean blueish, not warm) filter cast.

-----
Money should not be problem. If it really better I would agree on something like 100€ if it improve the things and I guess for 49mm that give quite a margin. What are your advices?

Last edited by Prakticant; 03-15-2015 at 12:54 PM.
03-15-2015, 08:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Use an evolution of the B+W polariser : B+W MRC Nano XS-pro digital ; this is an evolution of the caotings comparable to Pentax HD or Nikon nanocristal coatings. I use them and I'm fully satisfied.
See
Pixelistes • différence entre B+W MRC F-Pro - MRC F-Pro Digit Pro et MRC F-Pro S03 : Accessoires objectifs
Kasermann polarizer is more efficient too.
A large scale test is available here
Polarizing filters test - Results and summary - Lenstip.com
Marumi is at the same level, but difficult to find in France.
03-15-2015, 08:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have looked Canon et Nikon one and even Zeiss but typically they say they are great (haha) but difficult to know, not like some would say 'our polariser flare and despire out coating are difficult to clean'

@goubejp: I was thinking the only noticable improvement on MRC Nano XS-pro digital was the easier cleaning. Do you encounter flare issues with them?
03-15-2015, 09:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
Lee has a circular polarizer that is round and has an adapter for their filter holder. This is the preferred filter for the lee systems as you can use other square filters or grads while still being able to use the polarizer.

Not cheap however, but it has the advantage of fitting all your lenses regardless of filter size with an inexpensive adapter ring for each filter size that allows attachment of the filter holder.
03-15-2015, 09:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I haven't, but usually flare issues comes when the sun is near the edge of the frame, in such case the pola is not efficient and I remove it.
I have compared with the "old" coating, it is definitively different, the color of the reflection is different.
03-15-2015, 11:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I can vouch for the Marumi DHG Super Circular PL.D. (I think this is the one Lenstip recommended). Flare happens (esp at very wide angles) but it's not a big problem.

I have the 77mm version that I use with step-down rings (49-77, 52-77, 67-77, 72-77) as required.
03-15-2015, 11:04 AM   #13

You'll not notice the difference between the top tier.
To avoid flare go with primes (as you do), not with zooms (what I do).
Nikon makes spherical (not-plane) filters to reduce glare, but I doubt polarizers.

-----
Do you encounter flare issues with them?
03-15-2015, 11:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Prakticant Quote
You'll not notice the difference between the top tier.
To avoid flare go with primes (as you do), not with zooms (what I do).
Nikon makes spherical (not-plane) filters to reduce glare, but I doubt polarizers.

-----
I do notice the difference in coating quality between theses limited or even the simple DA35 f/2.4 and the coating used on theses polarisers!

The lense without the filter would not flare at all, but with the polariser, it does.

My stupid question is if some polariser could really fix that?
03-15-2015, 11:24 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So far a summary of what I understood:

- B&W is far from bad and if I'am not statisfied by my model (F-Pro), I could try the improved model with both MRC Nano XS-pro digital and Kaserman
- Marumi DHG super are apparently good too.
- I could add a hood on top of the filter, at least when no using a too wide lense.
- Tiffen to avoid. Hoya not sure I would enjoy the colder cast.
- Any hint on how good Canon/Nikon/Zeiss might and how they would compare to others. I would think Zeiss T* coating should be great, but maybe I miss something ?