Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2008, 10:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Studio lighting issues

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

On the strength of the work I did in this thread (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/27583-shot-flute-recital-today.html), I have been asked to shoot the senior class Graduation Cruise. The cruise will be held on a 120ft yacht which will be cruising in and around the NYC waterways, New York Harbor, and the Statue of Liberty for about 4 hours.

I'm a little nervous about how to go about setting up the lighting.

The plan is to set up a stationary location on the ship where I'll be able to do couples/family shots for about 1 to 1.5 hours and spend the rest of the time shooting candids. My first thought was to use a shoe mounted flash for the stationary shots, but I wasn't sure whether that would be the most effective method of shooting. I don't have a P-TTL compatible flash, meaning I would be shooting in manual mode. That probably wouldn't be a problem since the scenery/light wouldn't be changing. I should be ableto just do a few test shots and then fire away with the same settings. Being that this is a paying gig, I didn't want to be caught with not enough light, so I decided to explore some other options.

My other options are:

(1) Pick up a continuous lighting kit and shoot without flash at all.

or

(2) Get some Cactus V2s triggers from eBay and use them instead. I have 2 Vivitar 3500 flashes that I could set up.

What I ended up doing was both! I ordered the V2s + an additional receiver from eBay seller Gadget Infinity along with this setup from B&H: Impact | Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit | DFUMK | B&H Photo

I also ordered this studio lighting kit from eBay: 800 w Lighting Kit Muslin Background Support System T15 - eBay (item 320257456430 end time Jun-04-08 21:32:58 PDT)

I figure I'll have a use for both of these setups and some point. The Cactus/B&H kit will be portable and can be used almost anywhere. I've always wanted to mess around with some Strobist type stuff and this will ggive me an opportunity to do so. The studio setup should be okay for light portrait work for friends, family, etc. I have no idea of the quality of this setup. Given the price, I don't expect it to be rock solid (fingers crossed on thsi one). I hope it'll suffice until I can get something better.

I know I'm going to have to spring for some better flashes with P-TTL capability at some point, but right now I'm trying to cover all the bases with a fairly small operating budget.

Any opinions on what I've done?

Good move?

Bad move?

Thoughts?

06-04-2008, 11:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Wow... I had ordered the same setup from B&H (umbrella - not backdrop) to go with my sunpak 383s. I've also got a couple of cactus triggers on route - it's been a week & a half. This setup was the most bang for my buck for me. So far all I've gotten to do is look at the stands and umbrellas and I'm really impressed - especially for the money. Good luck on your shoot!

-Brian
06-04-2008, 12:01 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I opted for the flash approach. I have a 540, a 360 and a Vivitar 285. I use them along with 2 cheap stands, two used shoot-through umbrellas and Cactus V2 triggers I got from Gadget Infinity.

I've set up several times in the basement and done some self portraits. It's taught me lots about the limitations of the setup and what settings I should use on the flashes for a 'standard' distance. I opted to have the flashes 6' from the subject, set my camera to ISO 400, f/8.0 and figured out what power level to use on each flash to get 'good light'. I then wrote the settings on white electrical tape and taped it to each flash.

I just bought a Sekonic 308 flash meter which, I expect, with help to quickly balance flash lighting with ambient. It'll also help to properly balance the flashes so I get a certain number of stops between the main flash and the secondary (right now I eye-ball it).

I used Lowel 750 watt lights in a studio class. They were fantastic, but actually a little dim (I think I shot around 1/45 or 1/60th of a second at f/4 with them). I'm assuming your lights are 400 watt equiv each. You might find that you have to have them fairly close to the subject to get enough light.

To make a long story short, you kit looks great - set it up (many times) and practice and you'll do fantastic the day of the shoot!
06-04-2008, 02:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dkittle Quote
I've set up several times in the basement and done some self portraits. It's taught me lots about the limitations of the setup and what settings I should use on the flashes for a 'standard' distance. I opted to have the flashes 6' from the subject, set my camera to ISO 400, f/8.0 and figured out what power level to use on each flash to get 'good light'. I then wrote the settings on white electrical tape and taped it to each flash.
Thanks! That's a really good idea. I think I'll be running out for some white tape later on. Hopefully I'll get the chance play around with the settings at home. Gadget Infinity shipped my trigger/receivers out yesterday. I'm not sure they're gonna get here by the 13th. I should have time to mess with the continuous setup though. I'll probably use one light/umbrella and use the shoe mounted flash for fill.

06-04-2008, 02:06 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Oh, check out that combo (light with flash as fill) and make sure the light temperatures are the same. Flash is close to daylight - you continuous light might be closer to tungstan or something. Not that I'm any kind of expert :-)
I get my stuff from Gadget Infinity in about 6-7 business days - I'm in Canada.
06-04-2008, 02:29 PM   #6
Not Registered

I would say that 6' wide background might be a little bit slim for portraits if you have people that wants to pose in 2s or 3s, but I guess that you wont have all the space in the world on that yatch. I think that a large softbox would give you more control with light. Larger and powerful lights are usually better for portraits cos they allow you more flexibility. A standard set up of three lights (one on the camera, another at 45degrees from you and another for backfilling) can help to get you started (you might also want to check this site Tutorial Links. To have a black muslim might not be the most pleasant background for some people so I would recommend you to get another one in the color that you prefer. A stand with a boom arm that you can use for holding a light for backfilling might also be useful. Check out also the kind of lighting that it is already on the ship in order to control lights and WB. Check also how can you plug the continuos lights (you might need extra cables). I think that if you want to go serious about lighting you might want to start saving big money. Hope it helps
06-04-2008, 05:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
I would say that 6' wide background might be a little bit slim for portraits if you have people that wants to pose in 2s or 3s, but I guess that you wont have all the space in the world on that yatch. I think that a large softbox would give you more control with light. Larger and powerful lights are usually better for portraits cos they allow you more flexibility. A standard set up of three lights (one on the camera, another at 45degrees from you and another for backfilling) can help to get you started (you might also want to check this site Tutorial Links. To have a black muslim might not be the most pleasant background for some people so I would recommend you to get another one in the color that you prefer. A stand with a boom arm that you can use for holding a light for backfilling might also be useful. Check out also the kind of lighting that it is already on the ship in order to control lights and WB. Check also how can you plug the continuos lights (you might need extra cables). I think that if you want to go serious about lighting you might want to start saving big money. Hope it helps
That's the thing.....I'm not sure I want to get that serious about lighting. I like shooting in natural light (don't we all?) or shooting in low light with my FA50. I really don't want to lug that much stuff around, but if the situation calls for it, I'd like to have something available. Chances are the continuous lighting wouldn't get much use, but the strobist setup might come in handy for creative flash shooting. I guess I'll have a few new toys to play with.

As for the 6' muslin, it may come in handy for product shots or single portraits. I really bought the setup for the stands (they extend to 10'). I can always buy larger backdrops to use with them.

I've gone from LBA (Lens Buying Addiction) to LBA (Lighting Buying Addiction).

06-04-2008, 06:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Portable flash units like the Alien Bees or Chinese ones like Jinbei are the way to go, especially if you're using a softbox. Small off camera flash guns won't give the best results simply because they don't really have the power and the quality of light is going to be unflattering due to the small size of the light source.

Lots of photographers over here use the portable flash units to do outdoor strobe shots in daylight without backdrops or anything like that (very old school, passe & rigid approach) for model shots or wedding shoots.
Some info of the kind of equipment I'm talking about:
Outdoor Lighting Kit 300W & 600W + new studio accessories - ClubSNAP Photography Forums

Some examples from a friend of mine (look at the personal section for the outdoor shots):
Kenneth Choo Photography - Portfolio

Last edited by creampuff; 06-04-2008 at 06:44 PM.
06-04-2008, 07:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

+1 for alienbees.
06-12-2008, 10:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just a little update...

The eBay lighting kit is not bad at all. It's a little underpowered, but is good enough for close portrait work. Even at 105 watts, the CF bulbs are not very powerful. I can definitely see a single strobe/lightbox setup in my future. I'm really impressed with the lightstands in that kit. They're sturdy and well built. I can use them with the umbrellas or mount my flashes directly. The backdrop stands are pretty flimsy though. They'll do the job, but I can see that they won't stand up to heavy usage.

The Cactus V2s radio trigger setup also arrived yesterday (earlier than expected). They work very well right out of the box. I got an extra receiver so I can run 2 Vivitar 3500 flashes from the transmitter. Works like a charm. I'm very happy with that as a portable wireless setup. I'll be using the 2 flashes mounted on the eBay stands for my stationary setup and put one of the flashes on camera for the candids. I've got some really good DIY diffusers that work really well.
06-12-2008, 02:51 PM   #11
Damn Brit

I have no clue about lighting I'm afraid. Are you familiar with the yacht that is being used? For safety reasons I'm sure there must be some well lit areas on the craft, ,maybe you'll get lucky.
Whatever, I really just wanted to post to wish you luck. Look forward to seeing what you shoot.
Gary
06-12-2008, 06:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I have no clue about lighting I'm afraid. Are you familiar with the yacht that is being used? For safety reasons I'm sure there must be some well lit areas on the craft, ,maybe you'll get lucky.
Whatever, I really just wanted to post to wish you luck. Look forward to seeing what you shoot.
Gary
Thanks, Gary...

The name of the ship is the Cornucopia Majesty

Since we're departing at 7pm, there should be plenty of daylight for the time I'm doing the stationary shooting (6:30-8pm). After that, it looks like there will be enough light indoors that I'll be using the flash just enough to keep the shutter speed up.
06-12-2008, 06:13 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I'll second the best wishes for your shoot! I think you ideas on how to handle the lighting should serve you well. Be sure to post pictures when you can :-)
06-12-2008, 06:36 PM   #14
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
Thanks, Gary...

The name of the ship is the Cornucopia Majesty

Since we're departing at 7pm, there should be plenty of daylight for the time I'm doing the stationary shooting (6:30-8pm). After that, it looks like there will be enough light indoors that I'll be using the flash just enough to keep the shutter speed up.
Just took a virtual tour, SWANKY. Looks pretty bright as well, hopefully you won't have to use too high an ISO. Can't wait to see your shots.
Gary
06-12-2008, 07:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just received an email informing me that the final headcount is 705 people! I'm gonna be busy!