Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I need a smaller bag, too...

Now that I've got a big bag on order, I want to get a small "street" type bag that I can carry around when I don't want to take everything with me. I don't want it to scream CAMERA BAG, so I've narrowed my brands down to Crumpler and Domke. The specific bags I'm considering include the following:

Crumpler $5 million home
Domke F3x
Domke F8
Domke F5xc

I would be carrying my K10D and either 3 small to medium sized zooms, 1 being attached to the camera or 4-5 small primes or some combination of zooms and primes (I figure if they're small enough, I could simply stack them inside the bag).

To repeat myself, I don't want it to actually look like a camera bag that loudly announces: STEAL ME!

In addition, I'm also open to other ideas, as well.

Thanks!
Heather

06-04-2008, 05:37 PM   #2
roy
Inactive Account

lowe pro ex-160.. had one forever and i'm still surpised at what i can get in it.. $12 delivered eekbay
06-04-2008, 08:39 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Also consider the Domke F-6. It's a perfect fit for my K10D, two to four lenses, and basic accessories. It's comfortable, inconspicuous, and not too big or too small.
06-05-2008, 06:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I love the Pentax Slingbag. I'm shocked at how much room that little has. I can fit my entire kit (minus the 450mm lens) in there, with the 17-70mm mounted on the camera. The Tamron 70-300mm and FA50 fit in the bottom section. The 10-17mm fits up top, along with the Kitstar 28mm and my Eneloop charger.

As for the Pentax logo, it's small and is easily covered with a patch of your choosing.

06-05-2008, 06:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I've got the Crumpler Western Lawn with the separate camera divider accessory. I. Love. It. It'll rope you for about $20 more than the 5 million dollar home, but it doubles as a regular messanger bag. Currently. I've got my K10D with a Sigma 24-70 (its a huge lens) attached, my 50 1.4, three flashes, batteries, memory cards, gels...you get the point. I can easily modify it to fit more lenses...I'd have to lose the flashes though. Plus its stylish and not as bulky as your typical camera bag. It looks like I'm carrying books and whatnot.
06-05-2008, 07:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually, there's a Crumpler Soup & Salad with the bucket on Fleabay that I'm keeping my eye on, so I've also considered that option, as well. One thing that I read in a different thread was the idea of using this bag like a purse--keeping purse-type of stuff in the bag, as well as camera gear. Now, that's being prepared.

Slinger-type bags aren't for me because I have a couple of protusions on my chest that the guys don't have.

Heather
06-06-2008, 05:15 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Check out the Domke F-803

You may want to consider the Domke F-803, maybe with some customization of the inserts. In mine, I can carry my K10D with lens, 2 other zooms, plus flash, there also room for smaller items (spare battery, extra SD cards, etc.)

06-07-2008, 10:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've been doing some more looking around and I found the Tamrac Express 7 messenger-style bag and it looks like it would work for me. Does anybody have this one? If so, how do you like it?

Thanks!
Heather
06-07-2008, 09:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Interested in buying back your tamrac Heather?
06-08-2008, 11:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Okami Quote
Interested in buying back your tamrac Heather?
Nah...I think I'd prefer a shoulder bag for my smaller bag. Thanks, though.

Heather
06-08-2008, 01:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

lowepro rezo AW 170! i have the 160, and it fits a 50mm f/2, 18-55 kit and 55-200 kit perfectly..
06-08-2008, 07:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I actually took a look at that once and judging by the measurements, I could conceivably get the body and all 3 zoom lenses in that bag. My only concern is that it doesn't have enough room for much else besides the gear itself. I need room for other things like my cell phone and wallet. I noticed that on the Lowepro site, the pictures weren't very good, so I really couldn't tell what else it had in the way of extra storage.

Heather
06-09-2008, 02:48 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I have had a Domke F3X for a couple years now, and I really like it. Mine is the black 'ballistic' cloth which is more durable than the softer canvas cloth. I can carry my K10D and 3 or 4 lenses and other bits of photographic stuff. The shoulder strap is one of the best I have seen. It has a rubber thread embedded into it and it really stays on your shoulder. They call it a 'gripper' strap - and it truly is. For the main cavity there is one large flap which is held down by a metal snap; there are no zippers at all on the bag! The outer side pockets are held down with velcro strips. It does not scream "camera bag" as some of the other offerings from other companies.

To go any bigger than this size I personally would consider a backpack style. There is lots of room for cell phone and even a small water bottle in one of the side pockets. I have taken it on several flights and it stows nicely either under the seat or in the overhead compartment.

You'll hear some complain about the lack of cushioning material in this and other Domke bags. I always store my lenses in proper lens bags in the camera bag and then put a thin layer of dense, flexible packing foam under the center portion to cradle the camera. It works for me! If the bag gets dirty just toss it in the wash and hang to dry.
06-09-2008, 03:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmmm...a bag that I can actually wash. Actually, I was wondering about that with the Domkes. The only thing holding me back from actually getting a Domke is that they're so darn expensive. The other bags I've been looking at cost in the neighborhood of $45-75, but if this one would hold up better than the others, then perhaps maybe I'll save for just a little longer and wait instead of indulging my desire for instant gratification, I could get one of these babies.

I've got a bigger backpack coming that will be the "hold everything" bag and will also be small enough to carry onto planes, as well.

Thanks!
Heather
06-09-2008, 02:08 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Heather, if you keep up this bag addiction, we will have to start calling you a bag lady! <G>