Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2015, 10:57 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What is this really? Anyone know?

I received this "Attachment Lens" on a Pentax-F* 300 lens I purchased. Seemed to work fine on it. The lens got damaged during shipping after being cleaned so I ordered another Pentax-F* 300 lens to replace it. I recently put this "Attachment Lens" on and I can't focus at infinity, or even close to infinity. It appears to be a typical filter but is it in fact something else? It says it's an "Attachments Lens" made by Asahi so does it have some other "effect" or role other than being just a filter? Some type of close-up filter? I normally don't use UV filters but thought I'd try it since it is made by Asahi and might have been designed for the lens as opposed to a third party filter.
Thank you in advance for any clarification.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SCH-I545  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SCH-I545  Photo 
04-01-2015, 11:05 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's a close-up filter in 67mm ( exact magnification I'm not sure), it's meant to enhance the close focus ability of telephoto lenses, useful at short focusing distance, not so much at infinity
04-01-2015, 11:14 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
It's a close-up filter in 67mm ( exact magnification I'm not sure), it's meant to enhance the close focus ability of telephoto lenses, useful at short focusing distance, not so much at infinity
Thank you. Must not have tried it much with the original lens to notice it. Never used a close up filter before as I have a macro lens for that purpose. It's a thin piece of glass similar to a traditional UV filter. I was thinking close up filters were thicker or had more of a "bubble" shape, maybe at higher magnifications? I'll have to play around with it so see what it is capable of. There aren't any other markings on it to indicate magnification or anything. Whoever sold it to me must have had it lying around and just threw it on for protection or something.
04-01-2015, 04:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An “Attachment Lens” were mostly supplied with older Pentax zooms with a poor minimum focusing distance. Each filter had the name of the zoom printed on it.

The F*300/4.5 has a minimum focusing distance of 2.0 meters, so this attachment is not required or necessary and was not likely supplied with the F*300/4.5.

Phil.

04-02-2015, 04:59 AM   #5
Banned

It's a "protector" not a close focusing filter. See here: https://www.keh.com/244287/asahi-67mm-attachment-lens-70-150-f-4-5-filter
04-02-2015, 07:00 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I tested it out some more on the F*300 and it does reduce the minimum focusing distance of the lens a little (about a foot or so) so not really practical with the lens especially since I lose the ability to focus mid-distance to infinity.
04-02-2015, 01:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
It's a "protector" not a close focusing filter. See here: https://www.keh.com/244287/asahi-67mm-attachment-lens-70-150-f-4-5-filter
It's a close focusing attachment for the old Takumar 70-150/4.5 zoom and it's used just like the other Pentax Zooms:

Phil.

Attached Images

04-03-2015, 04:53 AM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
It's a close focusing attachment for the old Takumar 70-150/4.5 zoom and it's used just like the other Pentax Zooms:

Phil.

I stand corrected!