Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2015, 08:42 AM   #1
Pentaxian

cokin P and compatible ND grad questions

Yesterday I scratched my very last Cokin P121 from the 1980s/1990s, and need to replace it quickly, so I'm in the market for a reasonably-priced replacement or two. Probably the > $100 variety are out. I'd be particularly interested in experiences with grad filters purchased very recently. Specific questions:

1. I've been happy with my Cokins from that era, and don't experience any dramatic color cast, except that they're not scratch resistant. How are the new ones, and other brands, in this regard?

2. I read hitech was actually more neutral in color for a while, then was much worse a couple of years ago, and now... ???

3. Cokin now has a bunch of P120 and P121 models, vs. just one of each years ago. What do people find to be the most useful one or two grad filters/densities to carry?

Thanks for any info/suggestions.

04-11-2015, 11:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure this will help much but I just watch craig list and estate sales and buy up old Cokin ones. Usually get them for a song.

If I was going to go new I would look very hard at the Lee ones. But they are much more expensive.
04-11-2015, 11:54 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
I have the hitech grads and have been happy with them. I read that the cokins can have a color cast (but have not used them myself) and the Lee filters were too expensive for how often I would use them. I think the hitechs are a good compromise between quality and price. I use them with the cokin filter holder though.

Also, if you stack the hitechs or run very long exposures they do have a magenta cast, though not as bad as what I have read about the cokins.
04-11-2015, 04:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Not sure this will help much but I just watch craig list and estate sales and buy up old Cokin ones. Usually get them for a song.

If I was going to go new I would look very hard at the Lee ones. But they are much more expensive.
Ironically, the only purchase I ever made off craigslist were cokins, and they were amazing bargains, but I have to tell you that in the past decade or so, I believe that was the only listing for cokins on craigslist (the local craigslist, that is.) I think craigslist is more effective in larger, metro areas, at least if you're looking for a specific item. I don't think I'd buy a used cokin or other resin filter without seeing it first, because scratches are just too easy to happen, and "no scratches" doesn't mean the same thing to everybody.