Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2015, 11:46 AM   #1

How do you store your camera & lens in the bag / backpack?

I'll need to arrange those countless velcro dividers in my new Lowepro Flipside 400AW rucksack, and have a question to more experienced travellers:
How do you store your DSLR with the lens attached (let's say K-3 no grip 2.8/50-135mm zoom with hood) - lens downwards, or body downwards, provided you have your choice (which is not with every bag, but is a choice with Lowepro Flipside 400AW backpack)? Another option (with some of the bags) is to store the camera & lens horizontally.
My concern is equipment security with rough travel (bikerides, skiing, etc.) while I already experienced loss of a $700 lens when camera ground-dropped in a bag.

04-14-2015, 12:11 PM   #2
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In my Tamrac Extreme backpack, I store the camera with the Tokina 400 lens horizontally. I then store the other body w/grip upright, as well as the extra lenses.
04-14-2015, 03:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Ideally if I had room I would store the camera with lens attached, and all the lenses, with lens hoods attached. All my hoods are (and I think should be non-flexible), so storing lens-down would be dangerous. With the weight of the camera on the top of lens, a good drop and I think the flanges for the hood (or the hood) might break. On the other hand, I've never had a problem storing consumer lenses with hoods on, facing down - not a lot of weight behind the hood in those cases. Might not be a good idea with your 400/2.8, however.

As it is in my current bag, a waist pack, I store the camera on its side (sd door up), with lens hood reversed on either the 10-20/4 or the 17-50/2.8. Similarly the Tamron 70-300 needs the lens hood reversed, and gets stored vertically. Whichever of the other two lenses isn't on the camera at the moment gets stored vertically with the hood attached in operating position.

A $700 lens might be hefty, and a typical bag may not protect it from a drop to a hard surface from a few feet or more. Maybe add bubble wrap or something when there's a high probability of a drop?
04-14-2015, 03:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use a Thinktank Streetwalker hard drive. The body fits at the top of the bag with lens pointing downward. I travel with either my 50-135 or 60-150 attached. It however, is not so long as to have the glass at the bottom of the bag . If your bag is shorter, I would detach the lens and pack it mount down with a divider between the body and lens front glass. Shorter lenses I pack horizontally.

04-15-2015, 12:37 AM   #5

Original Poster
My longtime dream was to store camera with the flash attached for quick access.
As any of my previous bags did not allow for that storage (OK, Lowepro Commercial could fit everything), to my big surprise the Lowepro Flipside 400 AW backpack is able for that arrangement to be made (that's first approach after 30 miniutes play with dividers):
Attached Images

04-15-2015, 04:29 AM   #6
Pentaxian

That setup photo looks risky if you drop the bag. The lens will try to slide down, putting some stress on the lens mount (which can probably take it) and on the delicate flash mount. Add a divider to support the lens, or fill that empty space with something soft.