Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2015, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax binoculars pricing in EU

Was looking for some mid-level binoculars recently. My first thought was to support Pentax/Ricoh and chose this brand as they have good products. Looking at B&H store my choice was the 9x32 AD WP model, sell at $270 in the US. Then I tried to find an EU reseller and only found the ricoh imaging shop were you can get it for 399 .
I asked the Pentax store in Paris and they gave me the same price...

You can have two pricing for EU and NA but seriously 270$ vs 399 ? I'll never buy something at twice its NA price without thinking i have been cheated.

04-17-2015, 06:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

My mom wanted some nice binoculars for christmas. After researching, reading birding forums, etc, I decided against Pentax and went with Nikon. They seemed to offer more for the money (never thought I'd say that about Nikon vs Pentax, just the other way around).
04-17-2015, 07:03 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok thanks for the experience.
The new series looks good and well priced in NA but I'll look at others brands, there are plenty in binoculars.
Probably not Nikon cause they did not take the trouble to answer me when I tried to buy few microscope lenses about 1 month ago.
04-17-2015, 07:10 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The US prices you see in webshops are mostly without taxes. Depending on which state you are ordering from, you have to pay the right amount of tax. So in the end it will be more expensive. But many times, even then it will always be a bit cheaper in the US than in Europe.

04-17-2015, 07:20 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok let's say 20%VAT, we are now at 320$ vs 400€ that's still a nice difference (+25%). Huge enough to stop me when i'm not linked to a brand by a camera system.
04-17-2015, 07:33 AM   #6

Check Olympus binoculars, and Canon.
I'd go with used Steiner at eBay.de

-----
QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
Was looking for some mid-level binoculars recently.
04-17-2015, 08:03 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
Was looking for some mid-level binoculars recently. My first thought was to support Pentax/Ricoh and chose this brand as they have good products. Looking at B&H store my choice was the 9x32 AD WP model, sell at $270 in the US. Then I tried to find an EU reseller and only found the ricoh imaging shop were you can get it for 399 .
I asked the Pentax store in Paris and they gave me the same price...

You can have two pricing for EU and NA but seriously 270$ vs 399 ? I'll never buy something at twice its NA price without thinking i have been cheated.
Binocs are one of those items that IMHO are best bought used. I scored a top tier pair of Pentax for a fraction of the new price on ebay. Probably because those searching high-end don't think to search Pentax.
04-17-2015, 10:25 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe take a look at Pentax's papillio binoculars. They are unique in that the focus very close. This has opened up some very fascinating opportunities that I'd otherwise have not spotted eg from a standing position you can look down and see in close up objects at your feet, then crouch down and just carry on getting closer and closer. They are small and light too.

04-18-2015, 01:20 AM   #9
Forum Member

lowest price I've seen in the EU is €299