Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2015, 12:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Black Rapid Straps - Anyone use them?

I have the Cross-Shot and the Yeti.

Both are comfortable and sit nicely on the shoulder. Both also work well while wearing a backpack over them. I used the Yeti for a constant 5hrs carrying a K3/Grip/DA300 on one side, and K7/no grip/DA21 on the other. I've read reviews where people claimed that having a heavy lens on one side caused it to slide off of their shoulder. I carried the DA300 opposite of the shoulder that the strap was on, and never had a problem with it slipping off of my shoulder, nor felt the need to re-position it.

I don't mind that they use the tripod mounts. I rarely use a tripod anyways, but when the time comes, it's simple and quick to unscrew the connection.

After using these, I don't think i'll ever use the neck strap again. Just curious if anyone else uses Black Rapid straps, and your opinion on them. If you've used one, tell which one you have.

04-18-2015, 01:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I was just looking at these today and wondered how they justify the price. I currently have the Op/Tech set up on all my cameras. As everything is interchangeable I have a wrist strap on each and a single sling and a single neck strap when I need them. They're sturdy, comfortable and much cheaper than Black Rapid. And you don't lose your tripod mount.
04-18-2015, 02:25 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
I was just looking at these today and wondered how they justify the price. I currently have the Op/Tech set up on all my cameras. As everything is interchangeable I have a wrist strap on each and a single sling and a single neck strap when I need them. They're sturdy, comfortable and much cheaper than Black Rapid. And you don't lose your tripod mount.
After years of using just the strap bundled with the camera, hanging from neck, "tourist" style, I switched to a BlackRapid Curve RS-7. I think it's one of the simpler set-ups they offer. Here in the UK, the typical street price is GBP 46.99 (about USD 70), but I managed to pick one up for 15% less from a reputable ebay seller (it's the real deal, not a clone). It's a lot of money for a strap, but I confess that it's made carrying my camera a pleasure rather than a chore. In fact, I carry it more often than I would have previously because it's so comfortable and convenient. My walkabout rig is a K3 with battery grip and - usually - a small prime lens, but sometimes a zoom like the 18-270mm. with the BlackRapid fastener screwed into the tripod mount of the battery grip, the camera hangs with its back against my thigh, and the camera grip facing forward. Sometimes I hold the grip while walking, but mostly I just let the camera dangle, and it doesn't move around much. It's a leap of faith for me to trust in that one fastener, and I do worry a little that it's a single point of failure (read some of the comments to this review) - but, so far, so good. I always check that it's tightly screwed in, and that the battery grip is securely attached to the K3, before I set off, and I'm in the habit of checking it occasionally while I'm out and about.
04-18-2015, 02:34 AM   #4
Forum Member

I also use the Black rapid curve. Worth every penny. They are much more comfortable and more secure. With 90% of the weight on my shoulder I find it much less tiring than when using a conventional neck strap.
I can never go back to those annoying neck straps again.

04-18-2015, 02:54 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

I use the Black Rapid curve when needed....heaps better then a neck strap.

And then you can get the sewing machine out and cut up the old pentax neck strap and make it into a wrist strap.....I use just a wrist strap 98.24% of the time.

Wrist Strap.jpg
by Noelpolar, on Flickr

(real men do sew)

Last edited by noelpolar; 04-18-2015 at 03:00 AM.
04-18-2015, 03:37 AM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
And then you can get the sewing machine out and cut up the old pentax neck strap and make it into a wrist strap....
Ooooh! This I *like*! Nice job!
04-18-2015, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #7
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I use just a wrist strap 98.24% of the time.
Same here - except I use the original neck strap for that. Twist it three times around my wrist, and it fits perfectly.

When not used as a wrist strap I use it as a shoulder strap. Not perfect, but ok. The camera is around my neck only if I have to change lenses standing up with nowhere to put lenses or camera while doing so.

Other strap solutions I have tried have not worked for me. The Black Rapid sling type is too dangly - must be something to do with my body proportions since most people seem to like those straps.

I like your re-sewn hand strap, though! Looks really nice

04-18-2015, 05:04 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought a Black Rapid Curve (RS-7) 4 and a half years ago when I was having some neck pain issues, which I think the Black Rapid helped eliminate. After using it I could never go back to a neck strap. The Black Rapid is so well designed, wide over the shoulder and it doesn't slip, I've never seen the connecter loosen. And after four years of heavy use it still looks new, it's not made of cheap materials. If I do want to keep a tripod plate on I connect it to a Bostail that is mounted on the camera lug. I bought a cheap knockoff strap several months ago and it really makes me appreciate the BR. I had to do some mods to make the knockoff safe, even so I would not use it with a heavy lens, and in a relatively short time with light usage, it looks worn.. I have two large lenses, a DA* 300 and Tamron 70-200 that I carry with the BR connected to the lens tripod mount, I would not try to carry them with a neck strap. They are very balanced and secure with the BR. I would like to have Yeti.
04-18-2015, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #9
Banned

I use the Yeti as well as their wrist strap, love them both and will never go back to neck & hand straps. I also use their tether system, not because I've ever experienced any problems with parts loosening , but simply for added piece of mind.

Last edited by Al_Kahollick; 08-30-2015 at 08:04 AM.
04-18-2015, 06:03 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I like the Black Rapid shoulder strap and I also use a tripod. Here is the setup I use, which allows me to have an arca-swiss type plate always mounted on the camera. The strap is screwed into a compatible clamp, then attached to the camera. A set of short op tech tethers are attached as a backup in case the clamp loosens.

This is a secure, easy on - easy off setup.
04-18-2015, 06:22 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been a BR strap user since 2009. They are brilliant. I've backpacked, hiked, carried camera's in about every way with them possible and it's always bee comfortable. I own two of them and have on occasion carried two cameras at once (off each hip). Since the BR strap came on the scene there have been other similar ones but I have to say that BR makes the best of them.
04-20-2015, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Another vote for the Op-tech. The black rapid seems well made, but I can't see myself trusting all that weight on a screw... they do come loose. Plus I use a tripod often, and the plate is permanently mounted on my camera. The Op-tech attaches to the two standard lugs, and comes off easily when not needed. I usually use only one lug, with a sling strap, but I can convert it to a neck strap if needed. I also attached another clip to the foot of my 60-250, so I can fix IT to the strap when needed, since it's heavier. I can also create a hand strap if I want too. So versatile it's hard to believe
04-21-2015, 10:13 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I'm on tour: Blackrapid Sport attached to Novoflex plate OPL-AT2 1/4" (80 × 42 mm, Arca Swiss compatible) that is twisted by 90° at the K5 so that the Blackrapid is screwed into the plate on the left side of the camera:

With this construction I can even ride the bike without any problems.
04-24-2015, 04:14 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the Sun-Sniper sling strap, which is very similar to the BR strap. I chose it because it has a cable sewn into the strap, which is supposed to prevent the strap from being cut and allowing someone to run off with your gear. It also includes a $500 (woo-hoo!!) guarantee against failure.

I attached a Joby Ultraplate to the bottom of the battery grip to allow for tripod use (arca-swiss), and screwed the strap attachment swivel to one of the two available mounts. The screw that attaches the plate to the grip is in a 1 1/4" slot, which allows you to slide the plate and line it up under the lens, rather than where Pentax chose to put it. The Ultraplate also has a slot on both ends to attach a wrist strap if you prefer. The plate is only 1/4" thick and just under 3" long.

I think I paid around $95 for it ~3 years ago. It is very comfortable, has good padding in all of the right places and an elastic 'shock absorber' integrated into the strap. I've even used it to lug around my "Bigma" for 2-3 hours at a time. They sell an accessory clamp which fits on my belt. It allows you to lock the strap to your hip, and keeps the camera from swinging around when climbing and hiking. It has a quick release so you won't miss getting off a couple of shots of Bigfoot when he crosses your path!

Last edited by K(s)evin; 04-24-2015 at 04:52 PM. Reason: added more info.
04-24-2015, 04:24 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
This what I use too.
I like that I can get accessory straps for my long lenses and clip them to the optech sling as well.