Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2015, 04:40 PM   #16
Pentaxian

98.24% awesome! hahaha!

04-24-2015, 05:19 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've been using BR $20 knockoffs for several years with no trouble. I once had the chance to compare it directly with an actual BR strap, and was hard pressed to spot any difference.
04-24-2015, 06:19 PM   #18
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by K(s)evin Quote
The screw that attaches the plate to the grip is in a 1 1/4" slot, which allows you to slide the plate and line it up under the lens, rather than where Pentax chose to put it
I believe the tripod mount hole is off center on the grip so you can still attach / use the Pentax hand strap.
04-24-2015, 07:17 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use a BR ("Cross-Shot" I guess) fairly often when I'm on a two-body outing--works for me.

04-25-2015, 12:12 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
I believe the tripod mount hole is off center on the grip so you can still attach / use the Pentax hand strap.
Yup, that is what I was trying to say. It has always annoyed me that Pentax put the tripod mount hole on the battery grip off to one side, instead of it being centered under the lens mount. The Joby Ultraplate slides so that you can iock it down where YOU want it. Put the extra mount hole under the lens, or slide it over to make it easier to attach a wrist/hand strap!
04-25-2015, 02:40 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I use a BR ("Cross-Shot" I guess) fairly often when I'm on a two-body outing--works for me.
One body on the BR, the other on the neck strap?
04-25-2015, 03:22 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I use the Black Rapid curve when needed....heaps better then a neck strap.

And then you can get the sewing machine out and cut up the old pentax neck strap and make it into a wrist strap.....I use just a wrist strap 98.24% of the time.
I have a Black Rapid that I occasionally use - mainly for carrying the second camera. The main camera is on a wrist strap that I bought 40+ years ago.

I'm always worried by the Black Rapid. I've had it come undone a couple of times and had the camera drop to the ground - fortunately onto carpet.

04-25-2015, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
One body on the BR, the other on the neck strap?
No, I never use a neck strap. The other body is either on a monopod long lens or in a holster bag.
04-25-2015, 06:23 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I have a Black Rapid that I occasionally use - mainly for carrying the second camera. The main camera is on a wrist strap that I bought 40+ years ago.

I'm always worried by the Black Rapid. I've had it come undone a couple of times and had the camera drop to the ground - fortunately onto carpet.
I haven't had that happen yet...tend to keep an eye on it...fingers crossed.....but I do only use it 1.76% of the time...

I tend to only use it with heavier lenses like a 70-200 2.8..... or on a long walk with a 300 on.....then I also tend to have the wrist strap on and just let the strap take the weight to rest my arm.

Last edited by noelpolar; 04-25-2015 at 06:28 AM.
04-25-2015, 06:32 AM   #25
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I've read other stories of this happening, which is why I got the tether system. Never had anything loosen up in the 2+ yrs. I've been using BR, so the tether is just an added bit of reassurance.
04-25-2015, 06:47 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
I've read other stories of this happening,
Me too--which puzzles me. I don't really worry about it. I do habitually tighten the fastener--but I've never found that it's loosened.
04-25-2015, 07:02 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's the thing that swayed my choice to use the Optech system:
The only part of the camera that was designed from the start to be used to suspend it, is the strap lug.

I know no one has ever reported a bottom plate coming apart or the stress of hanging from the tripod mount tweaking any internal pc boards or electronics but it still gives me the heebie jeebies.

It's my hang up, I know. (Pun intended.)
04-25-2015, 09:19 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
gives me the heebie jeebies.
05-04-2015, 01:37 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I have been meaning to buy a dual harness from BR to be used for events, but I am a bit hesitant because I don't want to look a like going to a combat.:P
05-04-2015, 03:49 AM   #30
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
I have been meaning to buy a dual harness from BR to be used for events, but I am a bit hesitant because I don't want to look a like going to a combat.:P

Check out the Yeti, doesn't look like combat gear, and is quite comfortable......

BlackRapid Yeti Strap