Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2015, 08:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
360FGZ vs. II

Differences between the 360FGZ ("I") and the II, from what I can tell:
- the I supports TTL
- the II has swivel capability
- weather sealing (not worried about this...)

Is that it? The price difference is massive. The swivel head seems nice, but I'm not sure it's worth $150. That seems kinda steep. To those who own the II, do you really use that swivel head a lot? I'd be using this in field settings, so I would not have the ability, in general, to bounce light from a reflective screen set to a 45 angle of my subject, for instance. Am I going to miss the swivel head?

04-19-2015, 08:07 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I own both. Battery door plastic closure tabs on first version was a weakness. Many of those still in use (like mine) have tape holding the door closed. Second version improved the door closure -- WR, but also simply more robust. If you get the first one, just be careful of the door
04-19-2015, 10:12 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You also get a video light/AF assist light.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-19-2015, 10:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Does the pouch for the 360 version II fit the older flash?
I ask, as my pouch "biodegraded" and only the pouch for the version II seems to be available.

I have no idea why it fell apart, was stored in a drawer away from sunlight.

04-19-2015, 10:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
Differences between the 360FGZ ("I") and the II, from what I can tell:
- the I supports TTL
- the II has swivel capability
- weather sealing (not worried about this...)

Is that it? The price difference is massive. The swivel head seems nice, but I'm not sure it's worth $150. That seems kinda steep. To those who own the II, do you really use that swivel head a lot? I'd be using this in field settings, so I would not have the ability, in general, to bounce light from a reflective screen set to a 45 angle of my subject, for instance. Am I going to miss the swivel head?
The II version interface is much nicer; the swivel head is indispensable for me (don't use my 540 any more); the front LCD replaces the catch light (white card) but is extremely useful since you can also turn it on (providing continuous light for video as well). Weather sealing is also important to me.

And also the build quality and pouch are much better made. IMHO, it is real worth the extra difference (money wise) between the two 360FGZ.

---------- Post added 04-20-2015 at 02:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
I ask, as my pouch "biodegraded" and only the pouch for the version II seems to be available.

I have no idea why it fell apart, was stored in a drawer away from sunlight.
I don't think so, I have both flashes, but I left mine 360-I at home and can not compare it now... but I noticed that the 360FZG II head is smaller than the old one; so I don't think it will fit, although I may have to check when I get home.

Last edited by aleonx3; 04-19-2015 at 11:11 PM.
04-19-2015, 11:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Thanks, I'll check back later!
04-19-2015, 11:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Another feature that's missing in the new version is the auto-thyristor mode.

Although swivel is very useful (and in the past I would not buy a flash without it; probably still wont), I now use a flash bender that makes it obsolete (most of the time).

Last point is to consider the first version 540 (no idea of cost) or 3rd party flashes from e.g. Metz or Sigma.

04-19-2015, 11:35 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the 540 I and got used to the swivel head. the reasons for buying the 360 II where: Small, Light, faster recycle time.
I'm really happy with especially the recycle time of around 1.5 - 2.5 s. This allows for faster and makes a big difference in real life. I haven't missed that many pictures since I'm using the 360 II (underexposed pictures due to no flash with the 540 I)
04-19-2015, 11:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by max_pyne Quote
I have the 540 I and got used to the swivel head. the reasons for buying the 360 II where: Small, Light, faster recycle time.
I'm really happy with especially the recycle time of around 1.5 - 2.5 s. This allows for faster and makes a big difference in real life. I haven't missed that many pictures since I'm using the 360 II (underexposed pictures due to no flash with the 540 I)
+1, I agree and forgot to mention this... although I thought that may depend on how much is left on the batteries (ie. with fresh batteries, recycle time should be faster). Definitely, IMHO (and YMMV) the newer flash is more responsive, quicker, more compact (smaller head) and pro-like unit.
04-20-2015, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Yes, and padded nylon now, not faux leather.
04-20-2015, 07:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I have the older versions of both the 360 and 540 (several of the later). I am planning on selling all to get the new 360 now that the build is improved and swivel head added. I prefer the 360 for the faster recycle time and it has all the power I need.
04-20-2015, 05:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys, I decided to go with the 360 II. I didn't like the price too much but I'm only going to do this once, so it's not so bad, right?
04-20-2015, 11:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The older AF360FGZ has 645 mode, if you ever plan to use its auto features with a Pentax 645.
04-23-2015, 08:34 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've had the 360II in my possession for less than 2 hours and I'm already in love with it. If not for the advice here, I would have gone with the cheaper one most likely and been disappointed. Thanks for all the information, guys!

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You also get a video light/AF assist light.
I definitely underestimated this. I think it's going to be incredibly useful, for sure. I've noticed that my Sigma has trouble in bad light but in good light, the focus is pinpoint (my disaster last week seems to be due to a battery gone stale). The light can definitely help with this.
04-23-2015, 09:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
I've had the 360II in my possession for less than 2 hours and I'm already in love with it. If not for the advice here, I would have gone with the cheaper one most likely and been disappointed. Thanks for all the information, guys!

I definitely underestimated this. I think it's going to be incredibly useful, for sure. I've noticed that my Sigma has trouble in bad light but in good light, the focus is pinpoint (my disaster last week seems to be due to a battery gone stale). The light can definitely help with this.

Justin, I am glad you made the jump instead of buying some cheaper (or clone) ones... I did the same thing last year, I am in love with this flash... just the front LED is so convenient and useful. I have this flash with me all the time in my camera bag.