Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2015, 02:19 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
For a lens that large I wouldn't try any tripod with a capacity of less than 20 lbs. I have Sirui T-1005X 5-Section Aluminum legs. 22 lbs capacity, about $112. Not quite sturdy enough for my 150-500 with the Q and my current ball head.

I've been thinking about one of the cheaper gimbals. The Movo GH700 is one I have been considering because it ships from California instead of China...

Movo GH700 Professional Gimbal Tripod Head with Arca Swiss Quick Release Plate | eBay
I'll try it only because it is free.

04-21-2015, 02:54 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The problem I found before I went to a gimbal head is, that a ball or pan and tilt head is only perfectly balanced in one position. Mechanically this is called top dead center, where the center of mass is directly above the point of rotation. This position is inherently unstable, because if you move it in any other position the head will always want to fall that way.

A gimbal head on the other hand, Rotates the lens / camera around its center of mass. One of the nice results of a gimbal arrangement, when perfectly set up, is even if the locks are very loose, you can actually let go and the news and camera simply do not move.. Since perfect balance is usually not possible, in most cases due to the envelope of the lens changing shape as you zoom , you put a little drag on the vertical adjustment.
04-21-2015, 05:36 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From time to time I have run across survey tripods on Craigslist - either aluminum or wood, and in most cases were pretty inexpensive. These are very substantial and easily hold the load.

04-21-2015, 05:51 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Heavy tripod legs are going for a pittance online these days. Gitzo tripods that used to support 40lb video cameras w/fluid heads are going for next to nothing compared to their original cost because they're not very portable. If I were you, I'd buy a great gimble head...do my research into good older tripods...and try to pick up some legs at a reasonable price.

04-21-2015, 06:25 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
From time to time I have run across survey tripods on Craigslist - either aluminum or wood, and in most cases were pretty inexpensive. These are very substantial and easily hold the load.

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Heavy tripod legs are going for a pittance online these days. Gitzo tripods that used to support 40lb video cameras w/fluid heads are going for next to nothing compared to their original cost because they're not very portable. If I were you, I'd buy a great gimble head...do my research into good older tripods...and try to pick up some legs at a reasonable price.
it's not just weight but also stability, and most importantly the head. For long lenses really only a gimbal mount is the only solution because the biggest issues with sag, droop and overall lack of control come from the fact that the ball and pan/tilt heads simply do not move the lens about its center of gravity. that is all essential to stability

everything else is secondary. if you want weight, take a 2 foot square cloth with ropes on all 4 corners and fill it with rocks to hang below the tripod. works just fine. you dont need to carry all the weight,. just have a means to get some at your destination., I use by backpack hung off the bottom of the centre post of the tripod
04-21-2015, 11:11 PM   #21

Google lensmaster for a gimbal head , for a tripod i use manfrotto 058b but its bloody heavy though rock solid

Last edited by whatsthisbuttondo; 04-22-2015 at 08:14 AM.
04-22-2015, 04:51 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tried the Sunpack 7500 (gift from a realative) designed for video. Surprisingly, the sturdy legs eliminated a lot of the problem. However, the head on that thing is a disaster. The quick release point does not tighten like an Arca, and it has 2mm of play in it, which is significant at the end of a long lens. I ended up clamping it. Still, once that was done, it did not sag like the lighter legs.

This was a good exercise. It is true that in fact it not that hard to find legs that do the trick. The problem is the head.

---------- Post added 04-22-15 at 06:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by whatsthisbuttondo Quote
Google lensmaster for a gimbal head , for a tripid i use manfrotto 058b but its bloody heavy though rock solid
Just ordered the RH-2. I'll play with the Sunpack legs I have, but I will probably end up getting some new legs, too, maybe used.

Last edited by GeneV; 04-22-2015 at 05:53 AM.
04-22-2015, 08:21 AM   #23

You wont be disappointed with rh2 i certainly wasn't
04-22-2015, 10:15 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by whatsthisbuttondo Quote
You wont be disappointed with rh2 i certainly wasn't
Shipping was probably a lot quicker for you than it will be for me. It looks like yours would only have to come about a hundred miles. Mine will travel a few thousand.

Last edited by GeneV; 04-22-2015 at 10:22 AM.
04-22-2015, 06:24 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Has anyone used a Manfrotto Gear head on carbon fiber (with sand/bean bag on top)? Seems to work for me although the gear head can be too top heavy (its a tall head). Gimble head sounds a little better but not in the market for one yet.
05-13-2015, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got the Lensmaster, and I am very happy with it. It is sturdy and a bit heavy but not as bad as I expected. Staying with the ARCA-Swiss QR that I am using for other pods is very handy. I ended up getting a long Giottos QR plate for my SMC K 500/4.5, and the generous slide adjustment lets me balance just about any combination of TC, body, battery and flash but still move it into position with one finger and have it stay. The extra pin (absent on the Lensmaster version) lines up well enough with the hole on the lens to make the mount rock solid with all the swivel happening in the right place. Sweet!
05-14-2015, 10:29 AM   #27
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
For a lens that large I wouldn't try any tripod with a capacity of less than 20 lbs. I have Sirui T-1005X 5-Section Aluminum legs. 22 lbs capacity, about $112. Not quite sturdy enough for my 150-500 with the Q and my current ball head.

I've been thinking about one of the cheaper gimbals. The Movo GH700 is one I have been considering because it ships from California instead of China...

Movo GH700 Professional Gimbal Tripod Head with Arca Swiss Quick Release Plate | eBay
I like the looks of this one; as I'm getting the Sigma Bigma! I currently am using a TeleVue Tele-pod tripod with load of 22lbs; however the head I'm using is a Manfrotto 3126 with only a load limit of 8.8lbs. However, I have used this setup with a large 80mm telescope. The Movo GH700 looks like it would be a better option for me.

Last edited by csa; 05-14-2015 at 10:57 AM.