Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2015, 04:06 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Lens Hoods

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm new to buying lens hoods, as well as being new as a Pentax owner, and would like to know if all lens hoods will work on a lens as long as they state the same size as the lens (i.e. - 49mm). Are lens hoods standard across the manufacturers or do they differ in some way even if they are say 49mm?

I'm looking to buy some hoods on eBay but some do not specifically say Pentax on them. I'm wondering if they will still work for my lenses, provided that I buy the one that corresponds to my lens.

Last edited by philodragon; 04-28-2015 at 04:06 AM. Reason: lens hoods, hood, pentax
04-28-2015, 04:15 AM   #2
Pentaxian

If they are the screw in type, then usually no. If they are the mfg bayonet knock offs then yes they can vary and not fit guite correctly.

PS the pentax hoods can vary between lens models of the same focal length. Example; an 18-55mm wr plastic mount bayonet uses a slightly different hood than the 18-55 mm wr metal mount bayonet even though both are 52mm.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 04-28-2015 at 04:31 AM.
04-28-2015, 04:31 AM   #3

I think different manufactures use different bayonet mounts on the front of their lenses, I am pretty sure a hood from a 52mm Nikon lens will not fit on a 52mm Canon lens etc.

Also hoods are usually designed to work on specific lenses and can cause problems if you use them on other lenses i.e. if the hood it too deep it will cause vignetting or if the hoods too shallow it wont shade the lens so it will be pointless.

Saying that you can buy universal hoods but usually they don't works as well.

If I remember correctly TheCameraStoreTV did a rather good explanation about hoods on Youtube.
04-28-2015, 04:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I very much doubt that the =49 means that the hood will work on all lenses. That figure refers to the diameter of the filter ring on the front of the lens, and has nothing to do with the focal length of the lens. For example, the 49 mm hood on my 100WR macro lens is very long/deep, and would cause vignetting on my 50 mm, and EXTREME tunnel vision on a wide-angle lens like the DA21. However, a cheap collection of miscellaneous hoods could be very useful - I struggled for ages to find a cheap hood for my ancient 50, and it looks far too short to be totally effective.

---------- Post added 04-28-15 at 07:39 PM ----------

Bah, sapporodan beat me too it, I should type faster!

04-28-2015, 04:46 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philodragon Quote
I'm new to buying lens hoods, as well as being new as a Pentax owner, and would like to know if all lens hoods will work on a lens as long as they state the same size as the lens (i.e. - 49mm). Are lens hoods standard across the manufacturers or do they differ in some way even if they are say 49mm?

I'm looking to buy some hoods on eBay but some do not specifically say Pentax on them. I'm wondering if they will still work for my lenses, provided that I buy the one that corresponds to my lens.
There are a lot of factors for a lens hood, but the three critical are as follows:
-filter diameter. Obviously, of it can't screw onto the front off the lens it won't work (same for bayonet type hoods,mr hey must be compatible with your lens)
- hood depth. Deep hoods offer more protection for flare and also boost contrast by reducing the light outside the lens field of view from entering the lens, this light must be absorbed internally in baffles and can lead to reduced contrast as well.
-hood diameter is also important, a hood that is significantly larger diameter needs to be proportionally longer on any lens to offer the same protection

For me, I like hoods that are just large enough to be turned over and fit over the lens barrel for storage in my bag.

There is a file, which I uploaded some time back called hoodcalc. It is a spreadsheet that can calculate the optimum hood length for any known diameter loos, and for any lens focal length/sensor combination
04-28-2015, 06:02 AM   #6

Original Poster
Well, right now I am shopping for hoods for my Rikenon 50mm F2 and my 35mm 2.4 Plastic Fantastic. I was thinking of getting some of the universal rubber hoods that allow for multi-function and wondered if they would fit; seeing as some of them are not listed as specifically working with Pentax or Rikenon.

The question is, on my lenses, do I go by the " 49mm" inscription when shopping for hoods or something else?

Last edited by philodragon; 04-28-2015 at 06:15 AM.
04-28-2015, 06:05 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I tend to go with the metal screw in types, since they protect the lens better. Look for one that is not too deep, and it should work OK. If it says telephoto or wide angle, then maybe you should skip those.

04-28-2015, 06:26 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A bunch of the rubber ones have three extension options. With the 50mm a middle deployment is usually good.
04-28-2015, 06:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Hoods meant for film camera lenses are too short for crop sensor bodies. I have a dedicated hood for most of my older lenses and DA lenses. My best FAs are stuck with their original petal hoods and they are shorter than I would like. When the FF comes out I expect new lenses to come with two hoods.
04-28-2015, 06:33 AM   #10
Pentaxian

If you bump into a wall with a screw on collapsible rubber hood, the rubber will give. If it is a metal or hard plastic screw in hood, you could break off the hood, taking the threads with it. I'd go with a cheap collapsible rubber one that is easier to store and will work with more lenses.
04-28-2015, 06:43 AM   #11

Original Poster
I'm leaning toward the adjustable rubber hoods at this point.
04-28-2015, 06:45 AM   #12
Closed Account

If you know the official "pentax"-name for the lenshood, like PH-RBI 58mm for the HD 55-300mm WR it is easy to find them on eBay. I believe JJC sell a lot of these for far better prices and in the same quality

just try this one: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Parasol-PH-RBG-58mm-PENTAX-compatible-/331188169646?p...item4d1c5a6bae
04-28-2015, 06:54 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BertH Quote
If you know the official "pentax"-name for the lenshood, like PH-RBI 58mm for the HD 55-300mm WR it is easy to find them on eBay. I believe JJC sell a lot of these for far better prices and in the same quality

just try this one: Parasol PH-RBG 58mm PENTAX compatible | eBay
That link is in German (the Germany eBay). I'm in California. I'm going to stick with USA for now actually. My naked lenses right now are the Rikenon 50mm F2 and the Plastic Fantastic Pentax 35mm 2.4.
04-28-2015, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

New Metal Standard 49mm Screw in Lens Hood Cap | eBay

I use this one on my fifties and my 35/2.4 when I owned one.
04-28-2015, 07:03 AM   #15
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by philodragon Quote
That link is in German (the Germany eBay). I'm in California. I'm going to stick with USA for now actually. My naked lenses right now are the Rikenon 50mm F2 and the Plastic Fantastic Pentax 35mm 2.4.
try the american eBay and make a quick search for b.e. PH-RBI 58mm. Probably the same eBay-shop!
I always the german ebay, its the best on mainland Europe