Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-05-2015, 02:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Does anyone make this?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

A K-mount body cap that actually locks into the mount like a lens would? Seriously would be nice to have one. The cap that came with the k-50 doesn't like to stay on all the time, especially in cold weather. If nobody makes one, maybe PF should have some custom designed to sell to members... lol.

05-05-2015, 02:57 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
A K-mount body cap that actually locks into the mount like a lens would? Seriously would be nice to have one. The cap that came with the k-50 doesn't like to stay on all the time, especially in cold weather. If nobody makes one, maybe PF should have some custom designed to sell to members... lol.
There are lots of third party body caps available, which locks into the mount.
for example: Sensei Body Cap for Pentax K Mount Cameras BC-P B&H Photo Video
Or just do a search on ebay.... And yes, those body caps included in the original package are good just for that: protecting the camera inside during the transport in the original box...[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 05-05-15 at 11:59 ----------

...just a fast search for k-mount body cap:
New Camera Body Cap for Pentax K Mount Generic PK Mount for K1000 MX KM | eBay
05-05-2015, 03:43 AM - 1 Like   #3

The one that comes with the 1.4x converter has an indent where the locking pin goes... although to purchase the 1.4x converter just for the body cap is expensive. But then you get a free 1.4x converter as well!!!
05-05-2015, 03:54 AM   #4

I bought this one about a year ago, but it is now only available from "other sellers". The one I got is the same that comes with the teleconverter. It works great.

Amazon.com : PENTAX body Cap mount K 31007 : Camera Lens Caps : Camera & Photo

05-05-2015, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I must be different, but the only time I have ever used a body cap is when I sell the camera sans lens.

A lens is always fitted ready to take a photo.

Kevin
05-05-2015, 04:01 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can just buy one of those K-mount pinhole lenses or DA 40mm XS Plus, you dont have to waste time removing it and mounting a lens if you need to take a photo fast
05-05-2015, 04:37 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
You can just buy one of those K-mount pinhole lenses or DA 40mm XS Plus, you dont have to waste time removing it and mounting a lens if you need to take a photo fast
^^ This is the best solution

05-05-2015, 07:22 AM   #8
Inactive Account

lol .. nobody will take a 'photo fast' with a pinhole cam!

But those index and lock into the mount with a twist. The nicest body caps are the knurled Asahi one's from the 70's, but there's generic versions of those (Vivitar, Tamron, etc..).
Just look for the index mark on the cap!
05-05-2015, 07:29 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kev.pride Quote
I must be different, but the only time I have ever used a body cap is when I sell the camera sans lens.
A lens is always fitted ready to take a photo.
True for me as well when I'm at home, but sometimes when I'm travelling I use body caps instead as I can be more efficient with space, particularly if I'm carrying 2 bodies. My bags really only accomodate one body with lens attached.

I bought two body caps a few years ago off of ebay. They work fine.

Last edited by jrpower10; 05-05-2015 at 08:00 AM.
05-05-2015, 10:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lol... my bag is so full that I can't fit the camera in it with a lens mounted (even the 28 f/2.8 M). As long as I know they exist I can order one now. None of the ones I had searched on amazon looked to lock into the k mount, so I must've searched with the wrong keywords. I'll order one from b&h, just gotta locate one of the advertiser links on the site so the site gets credit for the sale.
05-05-2015, 02:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
B&H lists one made by "Sensei". Op/Tech USA make them for Canon and Nikon, so maybe they make them for Pentax too. The Op/Tech caps are designed to keep moisture and dust out with a thermoplastic rubber seal, hence their greater price.

They used to come standard with Pentax camera bodies, at least until the mid-1980s. I'm not sure when they quit. Some people claim that they cause undue wear on the mount's electrical contacts. I always assumed Pentax quit including them because they were more expensive to make than the push-on caps.
05-05-2015, 04:22 PM   #12

Just search eBay with the following:

body cap k pentax -screw -screwmount

You'll get all sorts of hits at all price ranges from 3rd party knock-offs to Pentax OEM. The search picks up the press on caps too, but it is easy enough to tell from the pictures what sort of cap it is.
05-05-2015, 11:09 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I ordered 3 of the sensei's from B&H before heading to work today (one plus future spares due to wear/tear/incidental damage/etc...).
05-06-2015, 12:28 AM   #14
Pentaxian

The main repairer of old Pentax cameras in the UK recommends the newer ones because the plastic of the older ones can eventually split and small shards can fall into the mirror mechanism and damage it.

I have a lot of the older style and use them on my old film cameras. My DSLRs are rarely without a lens and when they are I prefer to use the newer white push-on ones, just in case.