Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2015, 12:34 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 135
Looking for a bag

I'm looking to pick up a compact camera bag for when I'm out shooting on my bike. The main idea is that I want bag on my back and the camera will mostly be mounted on the strap in a quick-release for accessibility. The bag only needs to accommodate the camera if I stow it at a shop or restaurant or wherever with the lens attached, as well as one other lens and maybe a spare battery; in other words, it would be very compact. The main issue I'm up against is that the bags in the size I'm after tend to be sling style with the strap running across my chest at a 45-degree angle, but the quick releases seem to only want to mount to a strap which is a vertical backpack style that does not slant across the chest.

Am I going to have to bite the bullet and carry a bigger and mostly-empty bag, or are there some other options I'm missing?

05-06-2015, 01:30 PM   #2
Senior Member
kiberkli's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Central Valley, California
Posts: 126
I've had good luck with lowepro. I have a compuday photo 250. I need my laptop for work and always want my camera with me.
Looking at their bag finder thing, the Pro Runner 200 AW might be a good choice for you.
05-06-2015, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Richland, Washington, USA
Posts: 930
If it's just to stow the camera when stopped, and not carrying anything that could be damaged if you fall, why not use any cheap backpack with a little bottom padding for when you set it down? For your purpose I don't think you need a camera bag per se.
05-06-2015, 02:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 674
This doesn't answer your question about the bag, but as part of your set-up you might want to have a look at Peak Design's products (for ways to attach your camera to your bag etc):
https://peakdesign.com/


I'm not sure I understand your description, but I wonder if this bag would work for you? It has a quick release on the wide strap that crosses your chest as well as having a second strap to secure it when you're riding. It's pretty small and light, but you'll want to try it out for comfort. I have its larger sister (which I love). Also, it's smaller than it looks in the images in the link below, and it sits pretty close to your back (doesn't stick out a lot, which is good for balance).
http://www.cameta.com/Lowepro-Photo-Sport-Sling-100-AW-Digital-SLR-Camera-Ba...FRAaaQodmEgAmA


Last edited by frogoutofwater; 05-06-2015 at 02:32 PM.
05-06-2015, 04:33 PM   #5
Pentaxian
calsan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Perth, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,471
I have one of these:
HAVEN (L) - Camera Pouch / Tech Organiser | Crumpler
Which is a padded bag you put inside your normal bag, so you can find a backpack or a courier bag to suit you and then just stuff this inside. It holds, for example, a k-3 with 18-135 plus a 55-300 and a few loose ends like memory cards and gps. Or I can swap out the 55-300 for a couple of primes.
I admit it's expensive, but crumpler stuff just lasts and has a lifetime warranty. You could probably find something similar - or as mentioned, as long as you don't crash, you won't actually need much padding.
05-07-2015, 12:42 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hoek van Holland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,345
You could try out the Clik Elite Trekker. It is a waistpack, but will accomodate a camera with lens + 2 more lenses (or even more if they are the small limiteds). When rdiding the bike, you can wear it on your back, and when needing the camera quickly rotate it to the front. And it does also has a detachable shoulderstrap, you you could bit more representable in the restaurant.

Clik Elite Trekker Waist Pack (Clik Gray) CE504GR B&H Photo
05-07-2015, 04:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,656
If you already have a good bag that you like, simply put an insert in it and presto, it's a camera bag.

Otherwise, look at Timbuk2, they make a lot of bags for messengers on bikes. Backpacks, messenger bags with lateral traps, etc.

05-07-2015, 10:20 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Richland, Washington, USA
Posts: 930
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
If you already have a good bag that you like, simply put an insert in it and presto, it's a camera bag.
Exactly. You don't even really need an insert. Throw a towel in the bag and when you're stowing the camera, wrap it with the towel. I've done this often and it works just fine. Wrap the spare lens in a hand towel and you're done.
05-07-2015, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 135
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jrpower10 Quote
If it's just to stow the camera when stopped, and not carrying anything that could be damaged if you fall, why not use any cheap backpack with a little bottom padding for when you set it down? For your purpose I don't think you need a camera bag per se.
This is a good point - it doesn't have to be designed for cameras at all, it's just nice when you get little baffles and pads and pockets that are perfectly sized for lenses and such.

The first one I liked is the Lowepro Flipside 10L, but it's taller than I was hoping for. The Thinktank Turnstyle 10 and Ruggard Triumph 15 are nice, but sling style and I don't know if the quick releases work well with the sling strap; does the lens try to point down? And at 15l the Ruggard is probably even bigger still. The Olympus Tough Mini Backpack (Gray) 202586 B&H Photo Video is about the size I was hoping for, but I don't know if the baffles are gonna reconfigure to allow me to stow it with the lens on.

I think I'll just start with the Precision ILC bag and hope my body fits at the top since the lens is a compact one. This is a good example of the level of compactness I'm after, if nothing else.

---------- Post added 05-07-15 at 08:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
You could try out the Clik Elite Trekker. It is a waistpack, but will accomodate a camera with lens + 2 more lenses (or even more if they are the small limiteds). When rdiding the bike, you can wear it on your back, and when needing the camera quickly rotate it to the front. And it does also has a detachable shoulderstrap, you you could bit more representable in the restaurant.

Clik Elite Trekker Waist Pack (Clik Gray) CE504GR B&H Photo
This is nearly perfect, though I dont know how cycling with a quick release on the front would work out with it slung down that low. Definitely on the short list though.

Last edited by disord3r; 05-07-2015 at 06:04 PM.
05-07-2015, 08:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,457
QuoteOriginally posted by disord3r Quote
I think I'll just start with the Precision ILC bag and hope my body fits at the top since the lens is a compact one. This is a good example of the level of compactness I'm after, if nothing else
I found some interest in this thread as tonight seems to be BBA night...lol
So did you order one ? I ordered one......I figured for the price couldn't go wrong...Looks like a tight compact setup.....thanks.
05-08-2015, 12:49 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hoek van Holland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,345
QuoteOriginally posted by disord3r Quote
This is a good point - it doesn't have to be designed for cameras at all, it's just nice when you get little baffles and pads and pockets that are perfectly sized for lenses and such.

The first one I liked is the Lowepro Flipside 10L, but it's taller than I was hoping for. The Thinktank Turnstyle 10 and Ruggard Triumph 15 are nice, but sling style and I don't know if the quick releases work well with the sling strap; does the lens try to point down? And at 15l the Ruggard is probably even bigger still. The Olympus Tough Mini Backpack (Gray) 202586 B&H Photo Video is about the size I was hoping for, but I don't know if the baffles are gonna reconfigure to allow me to stow it with the lens on.

I think I'll just start with the Precision ILC bag and hope my body fits at the top since the lens is a compact one. This is a good example of the level of compactness I'm after, if nothing else.

---------- Post added 05-07-15 at 08:20 PM ----------



This is nearly perfect, though I dont know how cycling with a quick release on the front would work out with it slung down that low. Definitely on the short list though.
I haven't had myself a problem with that. Just somethis with very thin cloting, I just move the bag slightly to the side, so it's a bit out of the way.
The other solution is a chestpack from them. I can fit my K-7 with battery grip and lens in it. Sometimes I do put another lens in it. It just sits loose under the camera (in a lens puch though). Personally i find it bit less comfortable riding the bike when bend forwards to go fast.
Clik Elite Probody SLR Chest Carrier CE703GR B&H Photo Video

and if a backpack is ok, this guy has a nice review (for bike riding) http://www.bermstyle.com/review-clik-elite-venture-30-camera-backpack/
http://www.bermstyle.com/review-clik-elite-probody-compact-sport-camera-pack/
http://www.bermstyle.com/category/bikes-and-gear/packs/

Last edited by Macario; 05-08-2015 at 01:09 AM.
05-11-2015, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,457
I just got my ILC Bag from Precision. Its Small ! The Body Does Not fit at the top. It has to be lens pointing up with body resting in the bottom.
It can Hold a K3 , K30 , or a Ks2 with a lens up to about a Pentax F 70-210. It can hold one additional small lens at the most unless tiny primes and then maybe up to 2 at Most.
There are pockets for a small flash at best , batteries , a couple cards , lens accessories , Phone , etc. and very tight and compact. For $19.99 shipped Im sure not complaining at all......I like it !

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 05-11-2015 at 05:17 PM.
05-12-2015, 07:02 AM   #13
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 135
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
I just got my ILC Bag from Precision. Its Small ! The Body Does Not fit at the top. It has to be lens pointing up with body resting in the bottom.
It can Hold a K3 , K30 , or a Ks2 with a lens up to about a Pentax F 70-210. It can hold one additional small lens at the most unless tiny primes and then maybe up to 2 at Most.
There are pockets for a small flash at best , batteries , a couple cards , lens accessories , Phone , etc.
That's excellent to hear, I appreciate the info. I think I may just buy it then.
05-12-2015, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,457
QuoteOriginally posted by disord3r Quote
That's excellent to hear, I appreciate the info. I think I may just buy it then.
Let me post up a photo real quick...I want you to see just how tight it is....give me a few minutes.
Ok...here it is. I stuck a Ruler to show actual size. The shoulder straps are zipped together in the picture. Hope this helps.
I also just ordered the CLIK Elite Compact bag above several posts , so I can comment on it later if needed but its at least twice as big as this one.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 01-02-2017 at 03:05 PM.
05-12-2015, 07:48 AM   #15
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 135
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
Let me post up a photo real quick
Awesome, I think that'll do perfectly. I could carry the body with an attached lens at the bottom, flanked by primes on either side if I ever decided to roll out with three lenses. If I could scrounge up a smaller one of those padded dividers, I could create a space at the middle top for accessories, a larger lens, etc.

Thanks!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
backpack, bag, camera, chest, clik, compact camera bag, elite, lens, photo, strap, style, trekker, tripod
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for a smaller bag for K5 or K3 + 1 or 2 lens emalvick Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 13 09-11-2014 01:54 PM
looking for a nice BIG bag branded Pentax CodyShaw Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 22 07-19-2013 04:07 PM
Looking for a messanger bag Nervosa Photographic Industry and Professionals 2 07-18-2013 07:32 AM
Looking for a camera bag srpickel Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 14 09-13-2010 06:49 AM
Looking for a photo bag Tom Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 2 10-16-2007 05:20 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:42 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top