Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2015, 12:41 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FF name

Being an old Pentax film owner, I thought that the LX designation for the upcoming Full Frame Pentax would be appropriate. The LX was always the top of the line, a little bigger and better than the regular film cameras and that distinction seems to fit the placement in the range of the new model. I suggested LX 1 to someone at Ricoh USA and they liked it. We'll see.

As to today's DSLRs, I have both the K5 and K3 with grips and think that adding the grips is really the way to finish off the camera. The size and weight and balance seem to be just perfect for me. If you have a recent Pentax DSLR, please consider adding the grip if you have not already done so. I think you'll be happy.

05-06-2015, 01:13 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Your suggestion to consider a grip is a good one. I think a lot of users overlook the grip but it really helps to improve handling with larger lenses.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-06-2015, 01:38 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm a gripped lover and have had them on my K10/20, K5, and now in silver too on my K3. They just make things easier.
05-06-2015, 01:41 PM   #4
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Yoda boy Quote
If you have a recent Pentax DSLR, please consider adding the grip if you have not already done so.
I have very deeply considered it... except they don't make any for the pentax K-30. =(

05-06-2015, 01:44 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I called LX-D like two years ago. Just saying............
05-06-2015, 01:47 PM   #6
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

The grip improves handling when using a shoe mounted flash as well.

That said, I don't really use my grip. Mainly because I don't have any big lenses, I suspect.
05-06-2015, 02:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I prefer grips no matter how small a lens I have mounted. Grips just make the camera feel better in the hand, IMO, and I have smallish hands. The only time I remove the grip is if I'm traveling and need to go as light/small as possible.

05-06-2015, 03:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I love the grip. Greatly improves balance. But after 5 us hours does tend to dig into the neck.

Although I am typically carrying a Frozen backpack and a four year old on the neck as well.
05-06-2015, 05:41 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I prefer grips no matter how small a lens I have mounted. Grips just make the camera feel better in the hand, IMO, and I have smallish hands. The only time I remove the grip is if I'm traveling and need to go as light/small as possible.
Likewise here. I became a grip convert when I added one to my PZ-1p. I used one on my K10D, too.

I went to the 9/11 memorial and museum yesterday. Photos are permitted in much of the museum, but to be sure that no one interpreted my K-3 as a "professional" camera, I removed the grip before the trip. They prohibit the use of professional camera equipment. Otherwise I would have been using the grip as usual, as I do shoot a lot in portrait. I had no problems, and heartily recommend the museum to anyone going to NYC. Truly an emotional experience.
05-06-2015, 09:23 PM   #10

I think the name will be K 1 X
05-06-2015, 09:25 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
I have very deeply considered it... except they don't make any for the pentax K-30. =(
Seconded! I wish they made one for the K-30
05-06-2015, 10:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anthen Quote
Seconded! I wish they made one for the K-30

Why pentax makes grips for only the flagship is beyond me.
A lot of midrange lovers would love a grip. I had to use a modded third party grip for my K-30.
Its not the same though because the functionality is limited.
05-06-2015, 10:19 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Yoda boy Quote
the LX designation for the upcoming Full Frame Pentax would be appropriate. The LX was always the top of the line,
I've thought that producing a LX bare bones digital camera would be great (or a K2), same shape with interchangeable viewfinders etc. but without the video, flash, gps, wifi and all that guff so many want these days

Last edited by beachgardener; 05-06-2015 at 10:24 PM.
05-07-2015, 04:58 AM   #14
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
I had to use a modded third party grip for my K-30.
I'd be interested. Could you give us some information?
05-07-2015, 01:02 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
I'd be interested. Could you give us some information?
You will find alot of information here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/216730-battery-grip-pentax-k30.html

First of all you have to buy a cheap third party pentax grip.

You have to remove the pins of course. But most importantly you have to decide what you want it for.

I didnt want a grip for the extra power. I wanted it so I could shoot portrait mode so my hands are not tired.

So I connected the rear AF and shutter buttons the standard 2.5 mm plug that goes to the remote connection. Viola