Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2015, 05:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Waterproof...Bombproof....Lens protection

"Hellsgate Wilderness" in Arizona..... and the upper "Subway" in Utah are Both on my agenda in the next 60 days. As those of you "In the know" there is lots of pools so swimming and wading is mandatory. Hellsgate you cant help but swim on and off for about 5 miles....in and out of the water constantly.
Once again Im thinking there just has to be "something" better for keeping my lenses completely dry and safe than multiple dry bags and the ever present Freezer zip lock bags.
Ive tried a couple different small dry boxes and they always seem to leak somewhere. Weight is of great importance , yet a sacrifice has to be made somewhere.
In the past I use about 3 zip-lock bags for each lens and then everything in a dry bag , then all that in a supposed waterproof plastic box that always leaks.
Is this what actually works ? What do others do when they must go swimming with their gear for 2-7 day trips ?
Im talking about 1 body and two or three Manual lenses + a few small accessories.
There just has to be something "Bombproof" and "Waterproof" that isn't so cheesy as zippy bags and cheap Wally world dry boxes and ultralight dry bags ?
I even had a smaller pelican box leak......Im lost as far as what to do other than keep going just like described above with multiple zippy's and dry bags ?
I feel so cheap and yet cheated out of some product Im overlooking.....?
Here is a quick look at Hellsgate...not me and it doesn't show the extent of the water Holes at all.... 23 miles of wet hell.....lol.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 05-07-2015 at 05:16 PM.
05-06-2015, 05:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have one of these - DryZone 200 Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases
May be what you are looking for
05-06-2015, 05:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's no way you can opt for a fully waterproof compact camera?

When I expect to get that wet, that's when my nikonos diving camera comes out of the bag.

I've never tried one, but maybe one of those clear flexible housings may also work?

Good luck with your search
05-06-2015, 06:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rkappleby Quote
I have one of these - DryZone 200 Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases
May be what you are looking for
Nope...have to take hiking gear , clothing , and food too....dedicated camera backpacks are out.
No offense to Lowe users...but they cannot take repeated submersion. Ive witnessed it firsthand on the trip 5 years ago from another photographer that put it all on the line with Lowe and came up almost ruined. Lowe looks really good....but we are talking repeated submersion here and they claim spray protection but not submersion repeatedly.....I figure Im just screwed.....lol.
Im looking at a few new products so I may retract some.....I need an accessory bag or box.....not a complete camera bag. Ive used a roll-top heavy bag before and it didn't cut it without internal bags.....I may be looking for an accessory bag that can be lashed onto backpack with some of the features of Lowe but not stand alone without backup bags.

---------- Post added 05-07-15 at 09:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by skunktail Quote
There's no way you can opt for a fully waterproof compact camera?

When I expect to get that wet, that's when my nikonos diving camera comes out of the bag.

I've never tried one, but maybe one of those clear flexible housings may also work?

Good luck with your search
I have a couple waterproof point and shoot cameras....Im going for some good possibly marketable images so its DSLR or nothing.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 05-06-2015 at 07:32 PM.
05-06-2015, 08:24 PM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't know about bomb proof; but for waterproof, check out this site. Maybe they have something that would work for you. Read about their classifications of waterproof. I'd think you'd want #3 or #4.

Sorry about the missing link! Here it is:

http://www.thewaterproofstore.com/bags.html

Last edited by csa; 05-07-2015 at 07:03 AM.
05-07-2015, 03:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Koenig Photobags its in german but the guy on the front page seems to do what your opting for... seems to be even bear proof :-)
You can customize it according your needs by adding more bags for food and stuff... core is for photography...
05-07-2015, 04:16 AM   #7

How about dry bags. Try Big River Dry Bag | Sea to Summit or Dry Bags

05-07-2015, 04:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Don't know about bomb proof; but for waterproof, check out this site. Maybe they have something that would work for you. Read about their classifications of waterproof. I'd think you'd want #3 or #4.
??? the Link ?

---------- Post added 05-07-15 at 07:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Timd Quote
How about dry bags. Try Big River Dry Bag | Sea to Summit or Dry Bags
So far Sea to summit and a couple others are whats keeping everything working.... still would have had ruined equipment if I didn't back it up with baggies. I think what I need is a nice padded cell , inside a dry bag , and still back everything up with zippy locks.....That's about what Im doing now short of the perfect cell for body and lenses.
05-07-2015, 04:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There are dry bags sold in camping stores. Never tried them but they're supposed to be... dry...

Pelican cases is what I would have recommended, they have a warranty against leaking after all, maybe yours was defective? Or dirt compromised it?

I'd say, get a WR camera and lens, and then a supposedly dry product. Even if it leaks a bit, your WR gear should still be ok.
05-07-2015, 05:21 AM   #10

Why not get a WG-5 GPS? I have one and it is just awesome. Key interesting facts - waterproof to 14M (deeper than I can swim!), crush proof to 100K (more than I weigh :-) ), great lens - 25-100 equivalent, F2 (at wide) and charges via USB.

My other camera is a k-50 with many lenses and accessories, but the WG is now permanently in my bag or pocket when out and about.
05-07-2015, 05:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
There are dry bags sold in camping stores. Never tried them but they're supposed to be... dry...

Pelican cases is what I would have recommended, they have a warranty against leaking after all, maybe yours was defective? Or dirt compromised it?

I'd say, get a WR camera and lens, and then a supposedly dry product. Even if it leaks a bit, your WR gear should still be ok.
Every roll top Dry bag I have ever used will leak a bit through capillary action. The lightweight Sil bags are best at not leaking , but then they easily get abrasions that leak.
I had very high hopes for the smaller Pelican box but mine leaked through the equalizer valve. Not much , but enough that I had to dry and wipe everything off. I was really surprised , yet again a few Zip-locks saved the day.
I tried several Wally World small supposed waterproof electronics cases....NOPE.....every one was clearly inferior sealed and it was leak City !
Pelican replaced the case promptly and I have not tried the new one yet and probably wont on this trip. It seems I can keep stuff dry , but always have to use a backup to a backup to do it.....that becomes very frustrating and time consuming repeatedly packing and unpacking.....its a pain.

---------- Post added 05-07-15 at 08:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gfisher Quote
Why not get a WG-5 GPS? I have one and it is just awesome. Key interesting facts - waterproof to 14M (deeper than I can swim!), crush proof to 100K (more than I weigh :-) ), great lens - 25-100 equivalent, F2 (at wide) and charges via USB.

My other camera is a k-50 with many lenses and accessories, but the WG is now permanently in my bag or pocket when out and about.
I already have it. Great camera for what it is and I will be using it a lot for general use....... However I still need my K3 or K30 on this one.
Im asking almost the impossible because of repeated submersions , but haven't lost anything yet due to water damage. Its just so inconvenient using multiple bags on the quick over and over.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 05-07-2015 at 06:19 AM.
05-07-2015, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
??? the Link ?

---------- Post added 05-07-15 at 07:49 PM ----------

So far Sea to summit and a couple others are whats keeping everything working.... still would have had ruined equipment if I didn't back it up with baggies. I think what I need is a nice padded cell , inside a dry bag , and still back everything up with zippy locks.....That's about what Im doing now short of the perfect cell for body and lenses.
I've added the link; sorry.
05-07-2015, 07:16 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
I already have it. Great camera for what it is and I will be using it a lot for general use....... However I still need my K3 or K30 on this one. Im asking almost the impossible because of repeated submersions , but haven't lost anything yet due to water damage. Its just so inconvenient using multiple bags on the quick over and over.
Still Koenig Photobags
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
M9 Digital Camera  Photo   
05-07-2015, 07:17 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I've added the link; sorry.
Oohhhh.......I see some good stuff possibly ! I see some hope now at the end of the Dark Tunnel.....Thanks !
05-07-2015, 07:25 AM   #15
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You're most welcome! I hope you can find something that fits your needs. I like how they define the extent of waterproofing of their products.