Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
05-07-2015, 02:21 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Holdfast Moneymaker

Has anyone tried this system? The material looks gorgeous and appealing specially if this will be use in weddings where you don't want to look like a military personnel.Tough the the price is on expensive (lucrative) side.

Please share your thoughts on this or do you have any alternative? and some photos too.

05-07-2015, 04:43 AM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery
I have one and love it! I wear my K5iis w/ grip on my right side, and I have an Ona Bowery with lenses hooked to my left side. It's a back-saver for those extra long wedding days.
05-07-2015, 04:55 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks interesting. Too bad it's only offered in leather (I'm vegan-ish).
05-07-2015, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
Looks interesting. Too bad it's only offered in leather (I'm vegan-ish).
They don't kill the animals for their leather. They skin the animals after they've died either of natural causes or from slaughter. (Go with horse leather. Since horse meat isn't exactly tops on the menu in most places, the leather probably came from a working animal that wasn't eaten).

Or just get OP/TECH USA Double Sling which is probably more comfortable and certainly less vegan-questionable.

05-07-2015, 06:59 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I plan to use both of my K-30's with two zooms or limited primes during events, I fitted the BR dual strap/harness but I looked as if I am about to go to war. :😝 unfortunately, it is not available here locally. 😞
05-07-2015, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
I plan to use both of my K-30's with two zooms or limited primes during events, I fitted the BR dual strap/harness but I looked as if I am about to go to war. :�� unfortunately, it is not available here locally. ��
I'd think if you can find a local competent leatherworker, they could make a clone of it using harness or bridle leather, and probably for considerably less money. Id guess that you'd need to provide the tripod mount ring and maybe the locking carabiner clip and the rest of the metal bits are stuff they'd have already, at least if they work with horses.
05-08-2015, 06:41 PM - 2 Likes   #7

You could, maybe.

Matt (owner of Holdfast) is a stand-up guy and fellow photographer that stands behind his company and his product 100%. He's vested a lot of himself into developing the Moneymaker. I love mine; it's a top notch product, and they're popular among wedding photographers for a reason.

You could ask someone to rip off his design to "save a few bucks", but I only ask that you consider the ethics involved in such. That's all.

05-09-2015, 03:21 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Considering the price of the Moneymaker, plus shipping and tariff It is almost the same price of a used K-30, hmmm, I really wish it is available here.
05-09-2015, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was looking into the Moneymaker, but can't justify spending that much on what it is. I found this website that gives you a DIY on an almost identical holster

DIY Leather Holster Camera Strap
05-15-2015, 07:03 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Drake Avenue Quote
You could, maybe.

Matt (owner of Holdfast) is a stand-up guy and fellow photographer that stands behind his company and his product 100%. He's vested a lot of himself into developing the Moneymaker. I love mine; it's a top notch product, and they're popular among wedding photographers for a reason.

You could ask someone to rip off his design to "save a few bucks", but I only ask that you consider the ethics involved in such. That's all.
The OP said the product wasn't available in his country. Hence the suggestion.

It doesn't appear to be terribly different than the offerings from lots of other manufacturers of camera sling straps. It's just made out of higher end materials. And that's cool. And starting a company making a product inspired by his? Probably ethically grey. But asking a skilled local leather crafter to create a custom camera strap for you, and asking him to use photos of commercial products as a basis for the design? I don't see any problem with that, especially when it's a product that's not available to you.
05-17-2015, 07:53 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I am currently searching for the parts needed should I decide to make a DIY version of this strap, based on my list, I will spend about $200 if I will use the Carry Speed mount/plate system, but it looks better(safer) compared to the original which uses clips instead.
05-18-2015, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
I am currently searching for the parts needed should I decide to make a DIY version of this strap, based on my list, I will spend about $200 if I will use the Carry Speed mount/plate system, but it looks better(safer) compared to the original which uses clips instead.
Any place that sells harness supplies will do everything except the camera attachment point. For that, a generic blackrapid or other similar connector, or you can do something like this for better security and easier switching from strap to tripod:
Black Rapid + Arca Solution | Enthusiast Photographer

I'd use this clamp instead of the one listed there, though -- I really like having the safety button so the camera can't slide off the clamp when I loosen it, unless I push a button. It's saved my butt a few times with my tripod.
Sirui MP-20 Quick Release Photo Platform BSRMP20 B&H Photo Video
05-18-2015, 08:18 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Any place that sells harness supplies will do everything except the camera attachment point. For that, a generic blackrapid or other similar connector, or you can do something like this for better security and easier switching from strap to tripod:
Black Rapid + Arca Solution | Enthusiast Photographer

I'd use this clamp instead of the one listed there, though -- I really like having the safety button so the camera can't slide off the clamp when I loosen it, unless I push a button. It's saved my butt a few times with my tripod.
Sirui MP-20 Quick Release Photo Platform BSRMP20 B&H Photo Video
Looks neat, I think those plates have counterparts locally,