Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-10-2015, 09:38 AM   #1

Bag for packing my lenses

I want to carry my lens in an broad trip (Russia and Turkey)
I want to pack sigma 105-macro, sigma 10-20, sigma 18-50 F2.8, Sigma 70-300 APO and DA* 200 F2.8 as well as Pentax K3. all lenses are about 500gr except DA* 200 which is 800gr
I changes my lenses regularly, so I want to change my lenses without putting my bag on earth that can be muddy. In addition I walk more than 10km a day so I need a light and ergonomic bag.
In last trip I had only 3 lens and carried them in a small Ranger S30 Benro shoulder bag.
Which bag is proper for my usage? Backpack or larger Shoulder bag?

05-10-2015, 09:45 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That sounds like more weight than I would want in a shoulder bag, if walking 10km per day. I would greatly prefer a backpack strictly for the weight distribution. But backpacks will mean taking it off to get at all of the lenses.

I use a slingbag when I am working that easily holds three lenses and the camera but also have a backpack that I leave in the car or near where I am shooting. The slingbag only holds what I know I am going to need, the backback has extra gear, backups and lenses I might need.
05-10-2015, 10:19 AM   #3
Forum Member

Try a Kata 3in1 backpack/sling; you can change the lenses without to put the bag down. Look to Amazon for Kata.
05-10-2015, 11:15 AM   #4

With five lenses it could be too much, but I'm planning to keep my three lens in pouches hooked to my belt. I've found what seems to be good ones on Amazon, padded and waterproof.

05-10-2015, 12:16 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lowepro makes some backpacks that swivel around your waist and only open from the part that contacts your back which means that when they are swung in front the back is the top for easy access..
05-10-2015, 12:37 PM   #6

Lowepro Flipside 500 AW - An awesome bag
05-13-2015, 08:00 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I love my Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW backpack. I did a lot of research before buying it to find one that was as lightweight as possible as well as having swivel/side access, a rain cover, enough capacity for several lenses plus some non-photo gear (including a tablet or ultrabook, and good ergonomics to lift the weight off my bad back. It satisfies all of those criteria.

I usually pack my K-3 with the 55-300 or 200 2.8 attached in the main section of the camera compartment, plus a few smaller lenses in the second camera chamber (e.g., 35, 77 and teleconverter; or a zoom like the 18-135 or 17-70 plus my 77). I can also put more lenses in the upper chamber (which isn't designed for cameras or lenses) - if I do that, I put the lenses in padded cases. Usually, though, I put my flash and some non-camera stuff (e.g., chargers, a sweater, a snack) in the top large compartment. My tablet and/or Dell XPS 13 laptop fit in the water bladder chamber at the back of the pack - it's also a great place to store your passport because it's quite secure. When I use the belt, I feel like there's hardly any weight on my back at all. (The belt also has a couple of small zippered pockets, which are too small for a wallet or phone but can hold other small things like cards, brushes, a couple of credit cards etc.)

if the 200 AW is too small, you could have a look at the 30L, which weighs about half a pound more.

I tried the smaller Photo Sport 100 sling but ended up giving it away because it wasn't nearly as comfortable.

05-13-2015, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bahman1358 Quote
...I want to pack sigma 105-macro, sigma 10-20, sigma 18-50 F2.8, Sigma 70-300 APO and DA* 200 F2.8 as well as Pentax K3...
That's a lot of lenses to bring on a long trip. I would leave the 105 macro and DA* 200 at home. The 70-300 can cover those focal lengths. YMMV, if for example you need macro because the purpose of your trip is to document insects.

Will you be backpacking and changing sleeping places each day? If yes, you'll want a backpack big enough to carry everything. Visit a local camping store to see what they have.

If you're checking into a hotel for a few days and leaving luggage behind, consider the Lowepro Slingshot series. Not too expensive, very versatile, and well constructed. You can keep the bag on your back to distribute the weight (only one strap but it's wide) or rotate it to your chest for easy access and better security.