Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2008, 07:44 PM   #1

Can you recommend a decent brand of filters?

Hi gang,

Looking to buy some filters for my K10D...nothing special, just a UV filter, Polarizer, etc., but I want to make sure I get something with a decent coating as I've heard some of the really cheap ones have reflection issues in low light. I was thinking of going w/ Hoya... but do any of you have some recommendations?

06-09-2008, 12:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hoya should serve you well. I bought their UV filter & their Pro Polarizer filter for my 16-50mm lens (77mm size filter thread). They had 2 versions of Polarizer fiters. The Pro version was rated as being ghost and flare reduced & digital approved - it was also 2 1/2 times the close of the their standard version. I have several B&W & Tiffen filters that I have also been happy with. Just stick with proven names and stay away from cheap offshore copycat junk. It does not make any sense to drop decent coin on a worthy lens only to place garbage infront of it.
06-09-2008, 12:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've personally had very good experience with Hoya HMC and S-HMC (multicoated) filters over the past 35 years. B&W, Heliopan, and Singh-Ray are other top-quality (spendy, too) screw-in filter makers. Tiffen makes an extensive line of screw-in filters with some unique products, but some are not as well built or coated as are the products of the leading group, in my experience with them.

Lee and Cokin are leading filter holder/resin filter system suppliers. Hope this helps!
06-09-2008, 04:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I only use the Hoya Pro01 Digital UV filters on all my lenses. Great quality and a thin profile.

06-09-2008, 08:33 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the help, y'all. Sounds like Hoya is a good choice then.
06-09-2008, 09:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rjdesq Quote
Thanks for the help, y'all. Sounds like Hoya is a good choice then.
Hoya is indeed good, but remember they make several level of filters, from cheap to expensive. The more expensive ones have multi coating to aid in light transmission and are thin. You also need to decide if you want the filters double threaded - that is have threads on both sides so you can screw an additional filter on. Since my UV's stay on all the time, I make sure they are double threaded.
06-09-2008, 09:15 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I can personally recommend Rodenstock filters. I have them on all my lenses and they're first rate. A little pricier than most, but they have top-quality multi-coating.

06-09-2008, 01:16 PM   #8
Inactive Account

This thread reminded me of a question I have. I'm going to want a slim-profile protective UV filter for my Sigma 10-20mm lens. I was looking at Hoya, and the only ones that mention thickness are the "DMC Pro1" Series. Is this the one to get?
06-09-2008, 01:35 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Price is usually the indicator of quality and clarity when it comes to filters. I've gone with Hoya and have been quite happy with the regular HMC coated one on my 50/1.4, and the results are still stunning (credit to the lens).

For my DA lenses, I've gone with the Super-HMC Pro1 filters, which I believe are another step above the DMC range, and also have the thin profiles. But to be honest, I would be very hard pressed to notice the difference between the filters when comparing the image results.
06-09-2008, 01:53 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Thanks Ash! I wasn't able fo tind the Super-HMC Pro1 Hoya filters at Adorama, but I suspect they're out of my price range anyway. I just wanted a low-profile filter to avoid vignetting at 10mm.

Curiously enough, the Hoya 77mm DMC PRO1 UV filter at Adorama is $86.95, while the exact same filter at Amazon, selling THROUGH Adorama, is $47.47. Pretty easy to figure who I went with

There was a similar pricing discrepancy for the 55mm, which I went ahead and got for my Tamron SP 90mm.
06-09-2008, 07:17 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another place that I have heard good things from is 2filter.com. I've not purchased from there, but heard good reviews.
06-10-2008, 01:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yenemy Quote
This thread reminded me of a question I have. I'm going to want a slim-profile protective UV filter for my Sigma 10-20mm lens. I was looking at Hoya, and the only ones that mention thickness are the "DMC Pro1" Series. Is this the one to get?
Thinnest possible is always best with ultra-wideangle lenses if you hope to avoid vignetting.

Be sure to check your Sigma's manual, though, to see whether they recommend mounting a filter. I know that some ultra-wideangle and FE lenses don't even provide filter threads on the front lens mounting surface because of the vignetting problem. Good luck!
06-10-2008, 04:21 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Thanks, Christine. The Sig 10-20 does have filter threads (77mm!), so I assume they left a bit of wiggle room. If I see vignetting, I'll be rather annoyed, but Hoya specifically says these are low-profile, so I'm not expecting any serious trouble.

I expect later on I'll want to try a graduated ND and/or CP, which... at 77mm... is no small investment

Edit: Sigma states that any filter thicker than 5mm will cause vignetting on this lens; reportedly the DMC Pro1 is 5mm thick. Several reports online of people who use the 10-20 with 'normal' filters, and see no vignetting.

Last edited by yenemy; 06-10-2008 at 04:35 PM.
06-11-2008, 10:10 PM   #14

2filters.com - good service

QuoteOriginally posted by sabarrett Quote
Another place that I have heard good things from is 2filter.com. I've not purchased from there, but heard good reviews.
I have purchased several B & W filters from this company and have been happy with the service. Also happy with the B & W filters (MRC F-Pro). They are beautifully made. Before trying the B & W, I bought a couple of Hoya's in the multicoated, HMC (but not the digital pro) line. Also good, but the B & W seems a tad better than the HMC.
06-14-2008, 01:37 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I get B + W filters, made in Germany, very good, can be expensive.