Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2015, 01:05 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

D-BG5 battery grip - how strong is the tripod mount?

I was looking inside the battery compartment of my D-BG5 this evening (actually, to see where the extra SD card is stored!), and I noticed that the whole construction of the D-BG5 looks less robust than the K3 I use it with. Specifically, the body of the battery grip is some sort of poly-carbonate type material, and the tripod mount appears to be held in place by a thin metal plate inside the base (if you look inside, my description will make more sense!).

Now, I happen to use a BlackRapid RS-7 strap, with a fastening stud that screws into the tripod mount. It got me wondering just how strong that mount is. I wouldn't give it a second thought if I was attaching the stud to the mount on the camera body, as that's held in place within the alloy enclosure. But, as I say, the D-BG5 feels flimsier to me.

Concerns around the BlackRapid strap-to-camera attachment design aside, do you think the tripod mount in the D-BG5 can safely handle the weight of the camera, lens and grip for regular use?

05-14-2015, 01:45 PM   #2

I've never had any problems with mine using a BlackRapid strap - it seems solid enough to me.
05-14-2015, 01:49 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Concerns around the BlackRapid strap-to-camera attachment design aside, do you think the tripod mount in the D-BG5 can safely handle the weight of the camera, lens and grip for regular use?
Yes it certainly can. The weight is distributed among the tripod mount and several pins located around the edges of the grip, plus there's the friction between the two surfaces.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-14-2015, 01:57 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, I'm a BR strap user and have never had a problem with the BG-2, -4, or -5 grips. I think if I mounted my silver K3+silver BG5 grip on a tripod (sturdy one mind you), and took a baseball bat to the camera, I believe I could serious damage both the camera and the grip before the mount broke off the tripod...

I will say (more seriously this time) that longer lenses, such as the Sigma 150-500 lens, have a tripod foot to balance the weight of the lens and camera so all that torque on the camera mount is relieved. That said, I *think* I've actually used my BR strap attached to my K5+BG4 grip and Manfrotto plate a bit and never worried either.

05-14-2015, 02:25 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, all - very good to hear. I figured Pentax wouldn't allow this to be a weak spot in the D-BG5, but had to ask!

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The weight is distributed among the tripod mount and several pins located around the edges of the grip, plus there's the friction between the two surfaces.
Ah, that makes sense. OK, I'll stop fretting now! Thanks, Adam...
05-14-2015, 06:04 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Thanks, all - very good to hear. I figured Pentax wouldn't allow this to be a weak spot in the D-BG5, but had to ask!

Ah, that makes sense. OK, I'll stop fretting now! Thanks, Adam...
Adding an option here but I may be the only one that uses it.

As a long time BR and grip user, I too was concerned when attaching any lens large enough to have its own tripod foot. So for the da*300 glass and up, I added a second sliding connector to the BR strap and connect to the lens foot also. The dual connection does not impair using the camera but leaves me feeling more confident as I bounce around the landscape.
05-14-2015, 07:18 PM   #7
Banned

I use their tether system, with a couple of extra carabiners as quick release clips, for added piece of mind.

See here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/293336...ml#post3225200