Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2015, 07:51 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Quick Lens Change on Kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1338372981/lenspacks/posts/1217245

I came across this on my Facebook feed. I watched the video and it has me very interested. I think, while not necessarily a need, it would make a cool want. What do you think about this campaign?

They don't have support (yet) for K-mount but it will be available after a vote and $30,000 have been funded. It would be nice if we could get this campaign shared around the forum, so that we can vote for the people that would actually want to buy this.

I for one would definitely give it a try, it takes me WAY too long to switch lenses out in the field. Maybe it's just me, I don't know. But this is definitely interesting.

05-14-2015, 08:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's actually pretty clever!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-14-2015, 08:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Seems like very strong velcro tape would do the trick lol.. maybe I'll test it on some of my spare caps.

That being said, I usually do this to change lenses:

1) Prepare new lens, rear facing up, loosen cap.
2) Take off lens, put in bag, take out lens, put on body. No more than a few seconds to do this.
3) Cap on lens in bag.

Pentax's lens release button helps a lot in removing the lens quickly and efficiently.

Last edited by JinDesu; 05-14-2015 at 08:33 PM.
05-14-2015, 09:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Seems like very strong velcro tape would do the trick
These things look well purpose-engineered. Note how the inside diameter opens up to funnel the lens mount in, and the long tab slots for security. Also, the extended base area seems necessary in order to prevent the camera bag fabric from twisting as you lock and unlock a lens.

05-14-2015, 10:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Seems like very strong velcro tape would do the trick lol.. maybe I'll test it on some of my spare caps.
I was thinking of trying the same thing.
05-15-2015, 01:40 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
These things look well purpose-engineered. Note how the inside diameter opens up to funnel the lens mount in, and the long tab slots for security. Also, the extended base area seems necessary in order to prevent the camera bag fabric from twisting as you lock and unlock a lens.
A pretty smart idea, but the DIYer in me is gonna just make my own. First trying some velcro on my own rear caps, and if that doesn't work, I'll clue a thin, flat, larger diameter piece of plastic on the back of my rear cap before applying the velcro.

For the majority of people that are willing to pay a premium for an out-of-the-box option like this, it's a great thing to have on the market. I'm just not one of those people.
05-15-2015, 05:11 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Hmm ... as the saying goes, "why didn't someone think of this before?"

05-15-2015, 05:11 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
In the vid, the lenses are stored without their hoods. But I always put the hoods on first (reversed) and then put the lens in the bag. So the lens then has to go front-element in first. Because otherwise, I have to hold it by the hood, and the hood may come loose. So maybe this is not for me.

Come to think of it: most vids showcasing camera bags also show the lenses being inserted without their hoods, presumably because you can put more lenses in that way. Do any of you work like that, leaving your hoods at home?
05-15-2015, 05:17 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Gives me the shivers!

No way would I let the camera's innards be exposed to the elements they way they show in this video Great way to develop dust-bunnies and grunge with consequent increase in post-processing.
05-15-2015, 08:05 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vrphoto Quote
No way would I let the camera's innards be exposed to the elements they way they show in this video Great way to develop dust-bunnies and grunge with consequent increase in post-processing.
What is needed is a solution in four dimensions, using that extra dimension to do the swap without ever
exposing either the mirror box or back of the lens to the filthy three dimensions we live in.

We all love gadgets. And photographers love gadgets more than most. And as far as gadgets go,
that velcro cap appears to be actually useful, albeit very niche and very very far from absolutely
critically necessary.

I watched the video and thought, "My primary bag has nylon inserts, not cloth, won't work for me.". (*)
And I further thought, "But if it had cloth inserts, I still like to use a small bag that is infinitely adjustable.
If I dedicate the space to 'cap' a large lens, then go out with a small lens, that's a lot of wasted space
in the bag. And if I then get in the habit of repeatedly applying and removing that velcro cap to
keep space efficient, it'll just stretch out the fabric liner and create lint bunnies.". And lastly I thought,
"A double sided lens cap would probably be just as fast.".

I do think it could make for a really cool way to display or store your lens collection.....

---------- Post added 05-15-2015 at 10:07 AM ----------

2) Take off lens, put in bag, take out lens, put on body. No more than a few seconds to do this.
3) Cap on lens in bag.
Ditto. And quite often there's a handy flat surface somewhere near for the cap exchange, but
in a pinch, doing it right in the bag is efficient enough.

(*) Oh silly me, my bag does indeed have a cloth liner, to which the nylon insert with velcro tabs
attach. I should know better than to post before coffee.

But I still don't move them around anymore than necessary for the same reasons stated
above. I have it configured so an insert defines a space that can accommodate one big lens or
two small and that works most of the time. I almost never move the inserts.

Last edited by tvdtvdtvd; 05-15-2015 at 08:19 AM.
05-15-2015, 08:15 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

meh, i still do it this way:
05-15-2015, 08:27 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
meh, i still do it this way:
Yikes! Neither you nor that bloke in the video is ever touching my camera.
05-15-2015, 08:45 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Yikes! Neither you nor that bloke in the video is ever touching my camera.
sorry, i'm not interested in touching your camera.
05-15-2015, 09:21 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
sorry, i'm not interested in touching your camera.
You say that, but it is a nice camera, and when you've wrenched off a lens mount or mounting
plate or dropped a lens on that tile counter, you might just start coveting my camera.
05-15-2015, 12:44 PM   #15
Forum Member

That being said, I usually do this to change lenses:

3) Cap on lens in bag.

Pentax's lens release button helps a lot in removing the lens quickly and efficiently.
I do the same. This also makes it easy to flop the camera bag's top down in cases of inclement weather.