Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2015, 07:25 PM   #31
Veteran Member

The video review someone did of the GH1 makes it look pretty good.. and the text of his review shows a couple things that improved it.
Amazon.com: Hank HB's review of Opteka GH1 Pro Heavy Duty Metal Gimbal Hea...

The nest one sounds interesting, though. I might be willing to shell out $300 if it's significantly lighter. I'd probably use a tripod more with a gimbal head.

05-15-2015, 07:59 PM   #32
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
the Nest as far as I can find, is right at 3 lbs.

That video did make the GH1 look pretty favorable, didn't it?

Last edited by csa; 05-15-2015 at 08:09 PM.
05-15-2015, 09:30 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I picked up a job bg2 kit for quite reasonable on a clearance sale. It is stiffer than the jr3 which is good up to a DA*300 but anything longer it resonates. Look around, they I for sale from time to time.

Don't buy a cheap one, it is money thrown away.
05-15-2015, 10:47 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
"All Gimbal roads lead to the Katana."

Perhaps for you; but for that price I could have a K3! I'm on a very limited budget, and while I know the highest priced things tend to be the best; I really would like to afford to eat for the next 6 months!

I guess I had thought I would get suggestions in the price range I could afford; rather than constant pushing for an item way out of my reach, money wise.
It's not "pushing".

So many people think they can't afford the higher price item, and then they go back and forth with buying cheaper (inferior) alternatives. Before too long they realize they could have just bought the best first.

Essentially, I understand there is sticker shock, but to buy an item once, and for life, is a worthy option to save for a little longer, so you only have to buy once.

Sorry if you think that is "pushing".

The $750 range is only 7x what you are going to spend on a cheap alternative.
When you count shipping for the cheap versions, you are going to be in the $120-150 range. When the cheap version doesn't work well or you spend time with mods to make it work, then that eats your "savings".

Before too long you're going to be in the $300-400 range.

It adds up.

05-16-2015, 06:46 AM   #35
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
It's not "pushing".

So many people think they can't afford the higher price item, and then they go back and forth with buying cheaper (inferior) alternatives. Before too long they realize they could have just bought the best first.

Essentially, I understand there is sticker shock, but to buy an item once, and for life, is a worthy option to save for a little longer, so you only have to buy once.

Sorry if you think that is "pushing".

The $750 range is only 7x what you are going to spend on a cheap alternative.
When you count shipping for the cheap versions, you are going to be in the $120-150 range. When the cheap version doesn't work well or you spend time with mods to make it work, then that eats your "savings".

Before too long you're going to be in the $300-400 range.

It adds up.
I know what I can afford, and I don't care to wait for a very long time to afford "the best"; I'm 74, I'm enjoying my life now!

[The $750 range is only 7x what you are going to spend on a cheap alternative.]

That says it right there! 7x more for something that I'll not be using on a regular basis. Not that it matters to anyone, but I'm widowed, living on SS, so I make my own decisions as to what I CAN afford. I'm sure my two used K10D's are inferior to the new beauties; but again, I'm enjoying the heck out of them, and have great results, without saving for a year or more to get the latest & greatest.

As far as "inferior"; again, that's a matter of opinion. If a less expensive option works for someone, I don't consider it "inferior". That's rather snobbish to tag what others have or will have. My two vehicles are an 82, and an 87. Inferior to today's vehicles? Probably others may think so, but you know what; they serve my purpose, and get me to where I'm going!

I'm very surprised by the attitude that if you don't buy the ultimate equipment, don't waste your time; this isn't the atmosphere I'm used to here.

I'm sorry now that I even started this thread. My apologies to those that offered suggestions that I could consider; I do appreciate those suggestions.

Last edited by csa; 05-16-2015 at 11:27 AM.
05-16-2015, 11:29 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know what I can afford, and I don't care to wait for a very long time to afford "the best"; I'm 74, I'm enjoying my life now!

[The $750 range is only 7x what you are going to spend on a cheap alternative.]

That says it right there! 7x more for something that I'll not be using on a regular basis. Not that it matters to anyone, but I'm widowed, living on SS, so I make my own decisions as to what I CAN afford. I'm sure my two used K10D's are inferior to the new beauties; but again, I'm enjoying the heck out of them, and have great results, without saving for a year or more to get the latest & greatest.

As far as "inferior"; again, that's a matter of opinion. If a less expensive option works for someone, I don't consider it "inferior". That's rather snobbish to tag what others have or will have. My two vehicles are an 82, and an 87. Inferior to today's vehicles? Probably others may think so, but you know what; they serve my purpose, and get me to where I'm going!

I'm very surprised by the attitude that if you don't buy the ultimate equipment, don't waste your time; this isn't the atmosphere I'm used to here.

I'm sorry now that I even started this thread; as I cannot keep up with the big spenders. My apologies to those that offered suggestions that I could consider; I do appreciate those suggestions.
You are taking it as an insult, it isn't meant that way. Spend money how you please, but in my experience and others here, you won't be happy with the cheap one, we weren't, and we would have been better off spending the money once.

I wear gimbals out. I spent hours and many missed shots tracking down softness that in the end was due to a harmonic in the gimbal I was using. I have a cabinet with a couple that will end up being thrown away.
05-18-2015, 06:32 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought the Nest NT530H MKII and so far I'm pretty happy with it.
It's not a wimberley or a Katana but it's value for price seems to be OK.

Edit nice overview of the different Gimbal Heads:
http://www.carolinawildphoto.com/gimbal_list.htm

Pros:
  • nicely built
  • Dampened
  • 300USD
  • "Light"
  • Edit:More secure due to the modified Arca Swiss Clamp
  • In my case: Works perfect with lenses, Body, Grip, Flash up to 3 Kg for more i would chose a Gimbals with a normal Arca Swiss Clamp. I might not be as secure but much easier to take off and put back on the head.

Cons:
  • Its fully arca swiss compatible but the plates need to slide in from the side and ideally have a groove in the bottom to make use of the safety lock. the "sliding in" leads to the need to remove the safety screws normally used for the other clamps where you slide-in from the top
  • Dampened, the resistance can be too high, at least for my gusto... see below
  • Edit:The modified Arca Swiss Clamp is not so ideal with big Glass... due to the weight of the lens it self. It can be very hard to slide the Plate mounted on the collar of the lens in place. My particular case: the 250-600 mm lens @ around 7kg with body, etc. if you do this once and stay at a location for a longer period of time its not that of a big deal. But i had it the other day on a monopod and had to take the lens of quite frequently as i had to climb up and down, it was extremely annoying. I was not using the supplied plate and my plate got locked by the security pin in some ugly spots and it was quite a hassle to get it off the gimbal as you have to be carefully to stay straight and not to tilt the lens otherwise it started to cant and got stuck.... thats why i would not recommend this particular head when you plan to take a heavy lens with you on terrain where you will need to take the lens of your rig more often and i would not use the head with very long plates.

I have loosened (just a tiny bit) the center screw for the horizontal movement and got a nicer more fluent movement.
I have used it now for several days out in the field. I own it since a month, and added a leveling base for comfort.
With the base attached and secured with the screws it still fits in the provided bag. You need to remove the support (secured with a Velcro).
Tripod: I use it with a Manfrotto MT055 for my lighter set ups.
Monopod: Benro A38F

the dampening is nice also for taking video.

I have used FA*400 & DA*300 with the different TC's (1.4, 1.7, 2.0) and with the Q-7

will update after some more experience...

24th June 2015: I'm still very happy with it (used: DA* 300, FA* 400 + TCs, FA* 80-200)!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/nest-nt-530h-mkii-carbon-fibre-gimbal-head.html

Last edited by max_pyne; 09-16-2015 at 07:45 AM.
05-20-2015, 07:07 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I wear gimbals out. I spent hours and many missed shots tracking down softness that in the end was due to a harmonic in the gimbal I was using. I have a cabinet with a couple that will end up being thrown away.
How do you wear a gimbal out? I've never used one, but would like to give one a try sometime. I usually keep to the used section of the local stores and would like to know what to look out for in case I see one that fits the budget. I've only seen one used mount locally and it was the Manfrotto (still too much $$$ for the amount of use I'd get out of it). Do the bearings go bad from adverse shooting conditions like snow & rain?
05-20-2015, 08:07 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dtrego Quote
How do you wear a gimbal out? I've never used one, but would like to give one a try sometime. I usually keep to the used section of the local stores and would like to know what to look out for in case I see one that fits the budget. I've only seen one used mount locally and it was the Manfrotto (still too much $$$ for the amount of use I'd get out of it). Do the bearings go bad from adverse shooting conditions like snow & rain?
Lots of use. Some have bushings instead of bearings, and they wear. The friction mechanisms wear.
05-21-2015, 07:47 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the info - If I run across another one, I'll check for any looseness (although it would probably still be fine for my limited use!).
09-13-2015, 03:37 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've read the few reviews on Gimbals here, but still want some input from those that have one of these inexpensive units (around $100). I'm considering the Movo GH700; however I've read that the "J" arm is not @90 degrees. Would this be a problem for photographing birds, etc.?

Any suggestions, comments would be greatly appreciated. This will be used with the Bigma, 50-500 lens, on a tripod rated for 22lbs.

Thanks!
Sorry for bringing an old thread back up, but to get back to the original subject... I tried one of the Movo's. Got it from Movo via amazon - it was a return/refurb in "Like New" condition for $80. As the OP mentioned in the original post, the "J" arm is not square to the base. It's bad enough that I didn't bother to unpack the rest of the items in the box. If it were at least square, I think I could deal with the rough adjustments - there's a web page where someone else acquired one to evaluate and greatly improved the smoothness with some lubrication. But, I'm sending this one back.

Here's a pic of the gimbal and a square sitting on a granite surface plate. You can see that both the "J" arm and the vertical pivoting arm are not square (note - I did place something under the bottom locking knob to hold the gimbal in place, but the bottom was sitting level on the surface plate).

I'm not ready to spring for a Katana yet, but the next one will at least be a step up from this tier.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6 Plus  Photo 
09-13-2015, 04:46 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can the arca swiss clamp be bolted onto the end of the horizontal knob? That gets rid of quite a bit of the flex and weakness.
09-13-2015, 05:30 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Can the arca swiss clamp be bolted onto the end of the horizontal knob? That gets rid of quite a bit of the flex and weakness.
Not that I can see, at least with the parts included. The clamp for the lens plate is integral to the platform that rides up & down the swing arm - it can't be detached and used by itself. If you have another clamp, it might work. I see where Wimberley has a conversion kit so that folks with a sidemount can convert it to a full swingarm version (and back) - a good picture of the conversion is available on their website here. The MOVO didn't include a separate sidemount clamp, and I'm not sure if you could buy one separately from them or if any other vendor's parts would fit their pivot.
09-13-2015, 10:37 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dtrego Quote
Sorry for bringing an old thread back up, but to get back to the original subject... I tried one of the Movo's. Got it from Movo via amazon - it was a return/refurb in "Like New" condition for $80. As the OP mentioned in the original post, the "J" arm is not square to the base. It's bad enough that I didn't bother to unpack the rest of the items in the box. If it were at least square, I think I could deal with the rough adjustments - there's a web page where someone else acquired one to evaluate and greatly improved the smoothness with some lubrication. But, I'm sending this one back.

Here's a pic of the gimbal and a square sitting on a granite surface plate. You can see that both the "J" arm and the vertical pivoting arm are not square (note - I did place something under the bottom locking knob to hold the gimbal in place, but the bottom was sitting level on the surface plate).

I'm not ready to spring for a Katana yet, but the next one will at least be a step up from this tier.
I am looking at your picture of the Movo gimbal - sure enough, the "J" swing arm and the frame is not square to the granite base but does that matter? As far as I can see, the pivot itself is parallel to the ground which means the camera will maintain the same longitudinal line as you swing the arm around. If the pivot was perpendicular "J" swing arm, then you would have cause for concern but clearly it is not.

I don't see a picture of the camera clamp attached to the swing arm but is the clamp sitting perpendicular to the swing arm or is it sitting parallel to the ground? My guess would be the latter. Slanting the swing arm will let the user mount bigger and fatter lenses on the Movo versus a comparable sized gimbal with a swing arm that is perpendicular to the ground.
09-14-2015, 06:44 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You know, I didn't check that. Good point! I have it boxed up, but have not sent it back yet. I'll check that when I get home this evening. Even if the clamp is parallel to the ground when at the bottom, wouldn't this still introduce a tilt at any vertical angle other than level? It's not just that the swing arm isn't square - the whole j-arm isn't square, so the vertical pivot is on an angle also. I can't quite picture the geometry in my head. More experimentation to come...