Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2015, 07:48 AM   #46
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for reviving this thread! I am no longer getting the Bigma, but still would be interested in a Gimbal, so am reading this with interest!

09-14-2015, 04:18 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dtrego Quote
You know, I didn't check that. Good point! I have it boxed up, but have not sent it back yet. I'll check that when I get home this evening. Even if the clamp is parallel to the ground when at the bottom, wouldn't this still introduce a tilt at any vertical angle other than level? It's not just that the swing arm isn't square - the whole j-arm isn't square, so the vertical pivot is on an angle also. I can't quite picture the geometry in my head. More experimentation to come...
Even if the clamp is not parallel to the swing arm and is in fact at right angle to the swing arm, it is not such a big problem (mostly). If you are using long and fat lenses with rotating collars, it would be a simple matter of rotating the camera slightly to level it. You probably would be doing this anyway since it's unlikely the surface you deploy your tripod will always be level.

Here's my cheap Beike gimbal head, which look quite similar to the Opteka one. I've added a conical coil spring and another washer to isolate the needle bearing and the spring from interfering with each other. Before the modification to the Beike gimbal head, swinging the camera back and forth tend to loosen the rotating clamp handle enough to cause the whole swing arm assembly to droop and wobble. Heavier the camera/ lens set up, quicker the effect of the drooping swing arm can be felt. The conical coil spring acts to counter the drooping swing arm. It also reduces the need to "tighten the knob to death" to lock the swing arm from moving - about an eighth turn of the handle to go from adequately locked swing arm to freely swinging arm.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
09-14-2015, 07:26 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here are a few more pictures of the MOVO. In the first, I've got a torpedo level on the granite surface plate so show that it's pretty level, another small level on the top of the tripod mount/panning pivot of the gimbal to show that it's pretty parallel to the plate. The lens platform is definitely not parallel to the tripod mount or the surface plate, neither by the level nor by comparing the rulers for the two squares. The second picture is similar - I just moved the squares around to get a better view of how far they're off from each other.

Admittedly, and in agreement with excanonfd's post above, one could rotate the camera and it would be good for any panning and still kind of close if the lens is pointed up or down a bit. But in the third picture, I rotated the swingarm to about 90 degrees and you can see that it's at an angle in that plane as well. The more you tilt your camera, the more of a compound angle you would be dealing with. Not that most people would tilt their camera all the way to vertical - this was just to show an example.

I still think I'll return this one and look for one that's more "square". I could work around some looseness or stiff adjustments - there are some good posts about fixing those kind of shortcomings in the less expensive gimbals (and I'm taking notes from excanonfd's post above about the spring & washer!), but I can't bend that J-arm.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6 Plus  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6 Plus  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6 Plus  Photo 
09-14-2015, 08:00 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bookmarked for reference..

09-15-2015, 06:23 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JOBU Gimbals
does make some nice gimbals.
None of the good ones are cheap for a reason.
09-16-2015, 05:20 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I just replaced my Desmond gimbal with a Nest carbon fibre. The Desmond was a cheaper starter gimbal, was happy with it, but over the years and from the salt-water seaspray, the panning action had become sticky. The Nest brand is great, better by far, much better panning, sitting on bearings rather than a bushing. The swing-arm is smooth and has adjustable height, easier to balance, and it's half the weight of my old gimbal, came with a lens plate, but already had one, and a nice carry bag. I actually found it in a camera store, here in Brisbane, Australia, that's like finding a snowball in hell.
09-16-2015, 07:58 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
I just replaced my Desmond gimbal with a Nest carbon fibre. The Desmond was a cheaper starter gimbal, was happy with it, but over the years and from the salt-water seaspray, the panning action had become sticky. The Nest brand is great, better by far, much better panning, sitting on bearings rather than a bushing. The swing-arm is smooth and has adjustable height, easier to balance, and it's half the weight of my old gimbal, came with a lens plate, but already had one, and a nice carry bag. I actually found it in a camera store, here in Brisbane, Australia, that's like finding a snowball in hell.
The Nest is very nice i love it. The only limit is on monopod with a very heavy lens & long plate.... and only if you take it off and on on a frequent basis.
I have the Lensmaster as well although this is the head i use for the monopod (its having an ordinary arca swiss style clamp) but in direct comparison to the nest the lensmaster is not as nice.... its OK for the price but not my favorite...

Last edited by max_pyne; 09-16-2015 at 08:21 AM.