Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2015, 12:49 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I assume you are suggesting that the Mieke is an improvement over the one that comes with the tripod.

Does the Mieke suffer from sag? A ballhead isn't worth it at any price if it is not sturdy enough to not sag.

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
If you only want something "adequate", there are Meike (or equivalent) heads to be found on eBay.

If you want something "good", then prepare to pay at least 100-150$. I got my Vanguard head for about 140$ with a great rebate. It's an excellent head, and it changed the level of quality of the tripod assembly. You can get a good Sirui head for that price, look at the K and G series (I believe the G are a bit less expensive, but the K have a more modern design). You can probably get a good Vanguard for around these prices if you shop around a bit.

The things that a cheap head will annoy you about are

-sagging (that's the worst)
-bad friction on the pano screw, meaning it will be hard to completely lock (or the head simply won't have a pano axis)
-no friction control
-won't handle heavy equipment properly

05-22-2015, 01:05 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You can't beat it for the price IMO. Especially if you are only using it as a backup.

Professional Panoramic Gimbal Tripod Ball Head 35mm 1 4'' 360 Rotated for DSLR | eBay
05-22-2015, 01:19 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I assume you are suggesting that the Mieke is an improvement over the one that comes with the tripod.

Does the Mieke suffer from sag? A ballhead isn't worth it at any price if it is not sturdy enough to not sag.
I don't own any Meike stuff. I've seen a few report of people happy with it. It seems it does sag, but not too much. I see it as an improvement over the included Dolica head because it's arca-swiss, has a separate pano control and is sturdier.

I'd still recommend a good head over the "ok" Meike head.
07-22-2015, 07:44 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK guys, I replaced the ballhead with the Beike, and although I meant to bring my better tripod with me to Italy, I wound up bringing this combination. It did extremely well. It held up with my K30 and 16-85 just fine with minimal sag (wasn't perfect but was pretty good). This combination is quite good as a backup tripod+ballhead.