Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2015, 05:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Looking at this Dolica tripod as a backup

Howdy all.

I'm looking at the following Dolica tripod as a slightly lighter and cheaper alternative when I don't want to take my more expensive Manfrotto/FLM Centerball combo. Is it a good deal? Here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Dolica-AX620B100-62-Inch-Proline-Tripod/dp/B001D60LG8/...eywords=dolica

I would be using a Bogen 3028 head on it rather than the one that comes on it. A used Bogen tripod would be great, but the ones I've spotted lately are either really banged up with issues, or more money than the Dolica.

Is there a better cheap and decent option for a tripod? I just need the legs.

Cheers,
Bob :-)

05-19-2015, 05:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Sadly, the cheaper Dolicas with flip-lock legs are hit-and-miss. Sometimes you get a good one, other times you get one from an "off day" at the factory and end up swearing at it a lot (that's what I learned from a fellow who owned 4 Dolicas). Also, stay away from the variously named tripods with gold accents that all come from the same, bottom-scraping factory.

Instead, take a look at this (slightly more expensive) Dolica/ Nest tripod here. Really good legs that will last a long time, but the head on top of it sucks, so you might as well consider that part a paperweight. That fits into your plan, right?

Or, if you actually want to have an extra ball head you can use, this Dolica is probably their best offering. I reviewed it here, and found it surprisingly good for the price. Better than the Manfrotto or Benro, TBH.
05-19-2015, 06:07 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The one I had was ok once I replaced the ball head. It's a better deal when they sell for $35.
05-19-2015, 06:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It looks like the one I have. Great value and punches higher than its weight class. I'd recommend it. You won't do better at anywhere near this price.

05-19-2015, 07:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It's a better deal when they sell for $35.
Even better for $18.75 when Amazon had a sale on top of 25% off all Dolica.

It's a decent tripod but not for bigger lens/camera combos.

I like the "wing nut" center tightener - much better than a wobbly crank system.
05-19-2015, 09:11 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Howdy all.

I'm looking at the following Dolica tripod as a slightly lighter and cheaper alternative when I don't want to take my more expensive Manfrotto/FLM Centerball combo. Is it a good deal? Here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Dolica-AX620B100-62-Inch-Proline-Tripod/dp/B001D60LG8/...eywords=dolica

I would be using a Bogen 3028 head on it rather than the one that comes on it. A used Bogen tripod would be great, but the ones I've spotted lately are either really banged up with issues, or more money than the Dolica.

Cheers,
Bob :-)
I looked at Dolicas too. I even picked one up from Costco when it was on sale but did not like the fact that the head is not a true Arca compatible head so I returned it. I have a heavy Vanguard tripod for studio use but wanted a compact but not willing to pay Manfrotto prices for them.

I took a chance and ordered this tripod http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FTRV7EC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has been a winner for me so far. No complaints and I have put my camera/lens combo and hung a 25lb. Camera bag from it just to test it out. For the money and the quality, I have no complaints. I just have to see how long it is going to last. So far so good.
05-19-2015, 10:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought this Dolica for a last minute for a trip.
http://www.amazon.com/Dolica-GX600B200-Proline-60-Inch-Aluminum/dp/B004XC3GW...2100353&sr=1-2

I was surprised by the quality. It held what I put on it just fine. I used it with a K-5 IIs and non-huge zooms.

05-20-2015, 03:27 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BTW, I bought a second Dollica that was just a few dollars less. It wasn't as good. This one is the one to get. You'll be surprised if you get this model at the quality
05-20-2015, 10:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
This one is the one to get. You'll be surprised if you get this model at the quality
Just to clarify, you're talking about the same one I linked to in the first post for $46.90?
05-20-2015, 03:17 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, the one you linked to. It's a lot of tripod for the price.

Just to clarify, you're talking about the same one I linked to in the first post for $46.90?
05-21-2015, 11:09 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I have the same one.

Don't pay more than 40$ for it.

I dislike the head that comes with it, no separate control for pan and tilt, some sagging when locked, proprietary plate. I replaced it with a better head and it became a different tripod altogether.

The legs are good enough. I've done some 14 minutes exposures with the tripod, and they turned out fine. It's quite light for its size.

For 40$ it's a good purchase. However, at some point in the future you're likely to desire something better. At that time, you'll put this tripod away and never use it again, which is a shame because it still cost you money.

My advice is to decide what you want to do with your tripod (does it have to be high, light, compact, super sturdy, etc?) and then look at better options even if that means spending more. Everyone gets the same feedback when shopping for a tripod, and almost everyone (including me) disregard it at first. For the last year I've been shooting with a Sirui T-025X and the much larger Dolica has not been out of its bag once.

Last edited by bdery; 05-21-2015 at 01:00 PM.
05-21-2015, 12:36 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I switched to a Sirui T-1005X. Not much lighter but supports 22 lbs. But 3 times the price of the Dolica once you include the (cheap) ball head.
05-21-2015, 01:06 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I have the same one.

Don't pay more than 40$ for it.

I dislike the head that comes with it, no separate control for pan and tilt, some sagging when locked, proprietary plate. I replaced it with a better head and it became a different tripod altogether.

The legs are good enough. I've done some 14 minutes exposures with the tripod, and they turned out fine. It's quite light for its size.

For 40$ it's a good purchase. However, at some point in the future you're likely to desire something better. At that time, you'll put this tripod away and never use it again, which is a shame because it still cost you money.

My advice is to decide what you want to do with your tripod (does it have to be high, light, compact, super sturdy, etc?) and then look at better options even if that means spending more. Everyone gets the same feedback when shopping for a tripod, and almost everyone (including me) disregard it at first. For the last year I've been shooting with a Sirui T-025X and the much larger Dolica has not been out of its bag once.
My Dolica, the one I linked to earlier, has a ball head with a separate control knob for panning. It's around the same price. The head on mine has a proprietary plate too, but it is a screw-in, Arca-style plate, whereas the one the OP linked is a proprietary clip-in, Manfrotto-style plate.
05-22-2015, 05:02 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any suggestion for a replacement head that is adequately sturdy and stable but cost effective?
05-22-2015, 08:09 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Any suggestion for a replacement head that is adequately sturdy and stable but cost effective?
If you only want something "adequate", there are Meike (or equivalent) heads to be found on eBay.

If you want something "good", then prepare to pay at least 100-150$. I got my Vanguard head for about 140$ with a great rebate. It's an excellent head, and it changed the level of quality of the tripod assembly. You can get a good Sirui head for that price, look at the K and G series (I believe the G are a bit less expensive, but the K have a more modern design). You can probably get a good Vanguard for around these prices if you shop around a bit.

The things that a cheap head will annoy you about are

-sagging (that's the worst)
-bad friction on the pano screw, meaning it will be hard to completely lock (or the head simply won't have a pano axis)
-no friction control
-won't handle heavy equipment properly